No HDD activity LED withCF>IDE adaptor

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi guys

Ive been messing around with an A1200 this evening and found that the HDD LED doesnt come on when using the CF>IDE adaptor I got of eBay. I plugged in a normal HDD and it works just fine (on the same 2.5" IDE lead). Any ideas??

Ive got what looks to be an identical adaptor in my other A1200 and lights the LED for HDD activity just fine. Its nothing major Im just wondering if anyone knows why or if there is a simple fix :)

Thanks

Taj

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I tried connecting the two points suggested in the EAB post, no dice Im afraid :( Ive got 3 of these buggers too, thats bloody annoying :mad:

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
I had to solder the wire to the top of the light diode on the board, not the bottom as displayed in the pics. Then, it worked.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Guys,

Beware, quite a few of these adapters have the LEDS installed the wrong way round. !!!

TC :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Long leg of the LED is Positive (+ve)

Sometimes they can have a bulge just behind the LED itself.

Kin

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
What would happen if the wire was connected to the wrong end of the LED?

Would it still work/light up?

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I had to solder the wire to the top of the light diode on the board, not the bottom as displayed in the pics. Then, it worked.

I just bridged a wire this way and it all lights up!! :) Im going to attempt to solder it now :blink:

Thanks again to everyone for their help (y)

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I soldered a wire between the two points and all is awesome! The light is flashing away like a cheap hooker :D

Considering Im TOTALLY shite at this sort of thing Im well chuffed with myself, and it only took a couple of minutes! :thumbsup2:

Attachments

• DSCF0961.jpg
    DSCF0961.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0960.jpg
    DSCF0960.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 2

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone!

I finally got around to installing the A608 Memory in my A600 last night and I love it! Unfortunately, I had to take out the low profile CF/IDE adapter that plugged directly onto the IDE header on the motherboard without needing a ribbon cable.

The new CF/IDE adapter I installed has the issue where the Activity LED no longer works so I'm going to attempt the mod mentioned here. It would be great if there was a list of adapters that work without modification. Does anyone know of such a list?

Thanks!

Heather

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I modded my CF Adapter today and it is working great! Mine ended up needing the same connections as the one Tajmaster modded above. I've also included a pic of the A608 installed and a screenshot of the available RAM using the A608 default settings. I've installed ClassicWB 68K on the A600. :)

Enjoy!

Heather

Attachments

• CF-IDE Activity Mod.jpg
    CF-IDE Activity Mod.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1
  • A600 with CF-IDE Activity Mod.jpg
    A600 with CF-IDE Activity Mod.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A608 Installed.jpg
    A608 Installed.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1
  • A608 Default Installation Desktop.jpg
    A608 Default Installation Desktop.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Awesome work SDG :) Ive got another two of these adaptors I have to mod, hopefully all will go well as it did with the first one (y)

whiteb

Mostly Harmless.
AmiBayer
Country
Melbourne, Australia
Region
Victoria
This is weird, I seem to have a similar, or exact adapter that Skydivin has, mine worked straight out of the packet. A1200 HDD led flickers happily, and gives the A1200 a red glow from the ventilation at the top from the board's own LED.

The one I got was from Dealextreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10310

Took a punt at the AU$2.50, and it works like a charm.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@Tajmaster

Thanks! I didn't have any solid wire, but I had a very small piece of stranded wire. I tinned the stripped ends and they attached very easy. :D

@whiteb

I bought my A1200 from someone else and the CF adapter already has this mod done to it. I guess some of these CF/IDE adapters just need the mod and some don't. The small light on the CF/IDE adapter I modded above didn't even work until I did the mod. :(

Thanks for the link! I think I'll order a couple of those for spares. :D

Take care,

Heather

duga

Country
Sweden
Region
Uppland
I have the opposite problem: the HDD led flickers all the time! Not as bright as when there's "real" activity, though. CF adapter with Kingston 4 GB card.

djos

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Good info folks, I had the exact same problem with the unit I bought from fleabay and the original mod didnt work for me either, but the revised mod worked perfectly!

2013-03-19%2018.59.48.jpg

and the result, all 3 lights now work! :)

2013-03-19%2019.10.58.jpg

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Nice work! I really love how much knowledge AmiBay has accumulated over the past few years. :)

Heather

djos

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Nice work! I really love how much knowledge AmiBay has accumulated over the past few years. :)

Heather

Cheers, it would have been neater but the cable was the perfect length for the other side of the LED and I was too lazy to trim it. :D

yeah this site is a gold mine! :)

Top Bottom