Noob a500 + question

eeztheman

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Woking Surrey
Hi There,

I have fairly recently purchased a A500+, and was wondering where to start and how easy it is to give it a RAM upgrade?

I have never actually owned an Amiga since this year, although many a school holiday was spent at my friends house playing Sensi & IK + :D (the latter I have yet to buy, seems impossible to find at the mo)......so my knowledge of the Amiga is very limited.

If anyone could assist would be gratefully appreciated....and another noob question....is there a way to have game saves on the Amiga? (apart from some games having passwords of course)

Excuse my ignorance....I was bought up around consoles at home :)

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
It's very easy, if you flip it and look at the bottom, you'll see a trapdoor, you can open this (use a normal screw driver or something flat that fits in the hole and flip it upwards) and there is where you can fit a ram expansion.
However this will only add 1MB chip ram, not FAST ram.
Be careful not to bent any pins if you insert the card, don't force it, it should slide in and then only a small push should do it.

To do that you need an expansion card or harddisk unit with memory, something like a GVP HD8 or GVP A530.
These fit on the left side, you'll see a small L shaped plate that can be removed, then you'll see the expansion connector.

While your at it, if you are capable to do it, unscrew everything and the top will come off, then disconnect the keyboard and remove the RF shield and then remove the battery if that is still present.
You can easily cut it with some small pliers or just wiggle the battery.
But if you don't know how, leave it up to a pro.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't know anything about original disks overhere - I think most used cracked software.

So mostly it is about the hackers to allow game saves. Most of the games do not need nor support it - since it is good enough to end up in a certain level.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi There,

I have fairly recently purchased a A500+, and was wondering where to start and how easy it is to give it a RAM upgrade?

I have never actually owned an Amiga since this year, although many a school holiday was spent at my friends house playing Sensi & IK + :D (the latter I have yet to buy, seems impossible to find at the mo)......so my knowledge of the Amiga is very limited.

If anyone could assist would be gratefully appreciated....and another noob question....is there a way to have game saves on the Amiga? (apart from some games having passwords of course)

Excuse my ignorance....I was bought up around consoles at home :)

As Buzz has mentioned, to upgrade the A500+ to 2MB (it comes with 1MB already) its simply a case of opening up the trapdoor underneather and slotting in the memory upgrade. The upgrades that go in this slot are 1MB bringing you upto 2MB.

Amigas have 2 main types of memory, Chip RAM and Fast RAM. Chip RAM is accessible by the custom chips (ie the things that made the Amiga the best computer back in the day (y) ) and the CPU. Fast RAM is only accessible by the CPU.

On the A500+, this means that 1MB upgrade will give you a total of 2MB of Chip RAM. If you are only into playing old skool games, this will probably suffice for you. I remember when I had my first 500+ (my first Amiga) I had the memory upgrade too and a few games would either load extra sounds or graphics, or they would load more data into the memory to save disk swapping.

And as it happens, there is a great chap on here called PowerPie who has a very reasonably priced one made just for you ;) :

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=10630

As Buzz has also mentioned, you should open up the Amiga and remove the battery. Some Amigas such as the 500+ have barrel shaped batteries in which a very prone to leaking and corrode the motherboard :wooha: This basically kills your Amiga beyond repair :wooha::wooha::wooha:

Its easy to do, you just take apart the Amiga and take off the metal shielding (careful, you can cut yourself on it) and the battery is the barrel shaped thing to the right, under the floppy drive. Just snip it off and chuck it, your Amiga can work without it, its only used to keep the time.

Now, if there is any green furry stuff in the surrounding area this should be cleaned up. First, get some lemon juice and squirt a bit over the green fur, leave it for about 10 minutes or so, then get an old tooth brush and GENTLY scrub the affected areas. After this, you will need some IsoPropic Alcohol (or screenwash will do too I think), just squirt a bit on and wash the lemon juice off and now leave it to dry for a good 24 hours. Another Amiga saved!!!! (y)

Oh, and welcome to Amibay!

EDIT: Ive added pics of an A500+ I got the other week that I cleaned up, it was dead tho :(

Attachments

• Amibay_Before_.jpg
    Amibay_Before_.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Amibay_After_.jpg
    Amibay_After_.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

eeztheman

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Woking Surrey
Thanks for your advice - it's much appreciated.

Will have a look at removing the battery during the week, and will certainly be looking to upgrade RAM once money allows.

Thanks again.

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
Also many of the games do have a save game possibility, in particular almost all that are hard drive installable. The Settlers, Cannon Fodder, Frontier, most adventure games, etc. Shooter games usually don't (or only in the form of the level password like you said).

Top Bottom