nothing f'ing works!!!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

i have had a guts full! i got back into miggies, and all i have had is grief! i finally got an A4000 and the post office decided it was a football, i spent more money and got it working! only to discover it was too big and of no use to me at all so went for a A1200, now all my 1st time round memories of miggy ownership are plug it in and it works. now it's plug it in, watch it guru, spend some more money plug it in and find out some scumbag has sold you a faulty part, repair faulty part turn it on watch it guru, do some research, find out it's not compatible with my particular mobo, ah well i'll get a different mobo, ok so new mobo is compatible with part A but part B doesn't like this revision, guru, guru, guru. what the??? ok back to basics, hmmmm basics ain't quick enough for WHDload, ok i'll get an 030 blizzy, but wait here's an Apollo 060 cheaper than the blizzy 030, i'll get that and run Doom ;o), oh wait the memory doesn't work, 3 stick later it's better but it ain't right, hmmm a new oscillator someone says, ok i can go with that, nope no difference....... guru, reset, guru, PSU is weak? really? ok new 200W PSU fully tested an A OK! nope guru, reset, guru.

PAH f'it!! i'm off the play my 3do, plug in works, plays Space Hulk in real 3d (none of this fake 3d malarky) ok gonna try wing commander, voices, far prettier, and what's this? wing commander 3!! wooohooo

Amiga = £700+ and poohy stick bag thing still don't work
3DO = £40 and all tickety boo!! pah!

i give up! i'll still post on here and crave all your attention but the miggy can burn in hell while i use WinUAE!

JuvUK

P.S on the plus side, thanks to the miggy i have met you lot which is VERY, VERY cool!! :thumbsup2:

thanks guys

Marcb

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Sydney
Re: nothing f'ing works!!!

So....

Is the accelerator for sale?
:ROTFLOL2:

I feel your pain tho'... My 4000's motherboard is currently flying to NZ to hopefully be fixed... And when I bought that it too was in "good working order"

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

ha! ha! good one!

sorry to hear about your board though, that sucks!!!

JuvUK

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Marcb said:
So....

Is the accelerator for sale?
:ROTFLOL2:

Haha, pure evil!! Psml :)

Well. Juv, I feel for you. The difference between now and then, is that back then your reseller or amiga format knew what would play together. Now you need kin hell, merlin or zetr0...

Also the 3do flopped back then, so that is why you get it cheap now.

Sorry about your problems

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

@arnljot, thanks m8

tbh, just because something flopped it doesn't mean it was bad, for example recently Blu-ray won over HDdvd now bluray is actually poo! but sshhhh don't tell anyone. and in the past VHS beat Betamax, but Betamax was a better system, things usually don't make it when a) the marketing sux b) the sheep all follow the wrong thing.
3d0 flopped because marketing sucked, it was WAY over priced and it couldn't run Doom as well as the constantly evolving PC.

JuvUK

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Well, strictly speaking the amiga flopped too. So there, eggs on my face.

I didn't say 3do was bad, even though it's what I think ;-) :jester: But yes, it's true as you say that it flopped due to bad marketing and the wrong price tag. The 3do looked good on paper, and even when you opened one up. But since 3do had others building it and had them build it on lisence and expecting kick backs, few were built and even fewer were sold. Thus no games were really made.

Meanwhile Nintendo and Sony were selling concoles with losses and raking it in on the games. Much better business model even though Nintendo is partly going away from that model with the Nintendo Piss, oh -- pardon, the Nintendo Wee. Arhem, Wii.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ JuvUK

On the twisted side of it all as well as sympathizing, heh, what a complete bitch eh! :twisted:

If it's any use Juzzer, box everything you have (make a list though) & mail it to me. I'll go through it & see whats right & what's wrong & get a working rig for you with what I can. If it's just A1200 stuff, I wont touch anything other than a 1D4 1200 Mobo. - Your call entirely! :wink:

Best wishes,

Charlie

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

It has always been the same - buy a console to play games without trouble or buy a computer and have to do a little work to get the game to work.

Being fair to the miggy though we are asking a lot more of it now than we were then, not only are we trying to use current technology with a 15 year old (ish) computer but we are using a computer that has had 15 years of abuse :shock:

If anyone can get to the bottom of your problems Charlie can :bowdown:
....so if it were me I'd be getting one of those boxes from work posting it off in the morning - destination Cornwall :wink:

BTW I liked the 3DO, I had one myself once.

Gary

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Repeat the following mantra 100 times,

"I am a serene lily floating on a cool placid pond. I have emptied my mind of all external influences and am at peace."

Then smash something to bits with a hammer. You will feel absolutely fantastic. :D

There is a pile of electronic debris I use for this very purpose, very soothing. Either that or kick the cat. :twisted:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

hi all,
@kinny poos, just bought a 1D4 board m8, ditching the 2b's i have here (they're shite!) and just sent the Apollo for to big Zeety-baby to work his magic. but Kin i REALLY appriciate your VERY kind offer m8.

but this is AmiRant not AmiNice (hmmmmm AmiNice? a new section maybe? :wink: ) so let's get back to ranting!, Imnogeek i understand what you are saying but i must say my PC ROCKS!!! never gives me any trouble just runs and runs and runs, plays everything i chuck at it (and i do ask it to do a lot!) my Wii on the other hand sux the big one, bloody black screen of death! (very common btw google it!) 360 also rocks! master system (which i still haven't given to the sister in law) works well (thanks Scrappy-chappy) but it does look and sound poo (don't flame me it just my personal opinion)

oh and while i'm at it Smug Jobworths, now they grind my gears big time! and people that think Novas look good with bodykits, they tense me up so much i get one bloodshot eye!

uuuummmm yeah that'll do for now

JuvUK

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

but this is AmiRant not AmiNice

I normally have problems with ranting as I am such a placid guy :)
Now Juvvy, you've had your rant so why don't you just CHILLAX or do I have to come down to Cheltenham and show you a use for that BRIGHT RED bl**dy Amiga that it was never designed for :stick:
and whilst we are at - press the f'ing shift key when you want to type i (I) ferrari fan boys anything to cut corners

oh btw how's Mrs JuvUK, send my regards :mrgreen:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

press the shift key? are you nuts? do you have any idea how much extra effort that would require on my behalf? jeez "i" don't know how some people get through like with all this dotting the i's and crossing the t's! it really gets my goat! all this interfering! have these people got nothing better to do that correct other people all the time? bloody do-gooders......

yeah she's good mate and shouts "Hi!" back :wink:

JuvUK

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ JuvUK

I can see crossing the T's & dotting the i's is not in ur vocabulary, by the manner in which you write your posts. :p

Having said that, your post at the top of this thread just reads brilliantly & even 0ld0r Kunt0rZ like me who can be quite pedantic from time to time just kick back & laugh! :LOL:

@ ing

Ferrari Fan Boys cutting corners....LMAO!!

:mrgreen: Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

JuvUK said:
..... and in the past VHS beat Betamax, but Betamax was a better system, things usually don't make it when a) the marketing sux b) the sheep all follow the wrong thing.
JuvUK

Well, if you really want to prove the point, you forgot the Philips / Grundig / Decca V2000 system, which was the best 80s video recording system of all, with double-sided tapes and superior recodring quality. Because VHS flooded the market, they killed off superior video systems in favour of a crappier one.

Me? Pedantic? Meh.............. :bs:

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,

Merlin said:
JuvUK said:
..... and in the past VHS beat Betamax, but Betamax was a better system, things usually don't make it when a) the marketing sux b) the sheep all follow the wrong thing.
JuvUK

Well, if you really want to prove the point, you forgot the Philips / Grundig / Decca V2000 system, which was the best 80s video recording system of all, with double-sided tapes and superior recodring quality. Because VHS flooded the market, they killed off superior video systems in favour of a crappier one.

Me? Pedantic? Meh.............. :bs:

Merlin,
Those never even made it to Canada! Just VHS-Beta, we did have a cool thing called RCA Video Disc, that were actually big records and used a "needle" to play them. Superior quality to even the Betamax, but no record functionally, so it faded into the sunset.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

lol Merlin,
you forget, i'm just younger than you and don't remember the V2000 :run:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Merlin

Sounds like we're a couple of peas in a pod in some ways Dave! :sigh:

@ JuvUK

Age b4 beauty m8y...don't ever forget! 8)

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Merlin said:
Well, if you really want to prove the point, you forgot the Philips / Grundig / Decca V2000 system, which was the best 80s video recording system of all, with double-sided tapes and superior recording quality...

V2000's video quality was inferior to Betamax. And it's audio was too, with V2000 offering linear stereo, whereas both betamax and VHS offered hifi sound near to CD quality by the mid 80's by using separate stereo audio tracks along the edge of the tape separate from the main recording area (which also contained a mono sound track mixed in with the video track). However V2000 did have some unique features such as the dynamic tracking DTF head so no need for a manual tracking knob as seen on betamax and VHS machines. It also had a write protect switch on the tapes, instead of the silly break off tab on VHS tapes. And as you say it was double sided, with the late edition of the half speed XL mode allowing tapes to be able to store up to 16 hours!

Betamax was still the superior format though over all other tape based recording systems, which is why it went on it become the professional industry standard video recording format for broadcast in the form of betacam, then Betacam SP and later Digital Betacam (digibeta) formats. And more recently the on going development of the Betamax/cam format produced the HDCAM format which was the first for HD broadcasts and now HDCAM SR which is commonly used for HDTV TV production. So betamax still lives on even today in a different form, used throughout the industry.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

HiFi Stereo was actually a frequency modulated subcarrier that was interleaved within the helical layered video signal on the tape, The extra heads required to read & decode the HiFi Stereo signal were also mounted on the helical rotating drum phase shifted from the video signal heads by 'x degrees.
This could be proved as adjusting the tracking control to extremes ( helical drum fine speed adjust ) would also cause the HiFi tracks to dropout as well as cause video interference.

Also on occasion Bright White frames would cause interference on the HiFi signal, but overall still much better than the traditional frequency response crippled linear Stereo & Mono audio track(s).

During the 80's prior to MinDiscs & Recordable CD's etc, I preferred the use of a High Quality HiFi Stereo VHS machine for Audio recordings instead of compact cassettes.

BetaMax was indeed the superior quality format for Video but the movie companies backed VHS, however SONY ensured this would never happen again by buying into the studios & hence Blu-ray winning all those years later :LOL:

OK Science bit over

TC 8)

Top Bottom