Oh dear - another reason e*ay is going down the tubes

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I suppose it was inevitable. In an increasingly litigious society where someone feels aggrieved over what is quite obviously a trivial matter, it is allowed to be blown out of all proportion.
The primary beneficiaries will not be the complainant or defendent, nor will the process of 'law' or 'justice' be served here, only the solicitors will benefit.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am only thinking: what a wrong mentality..:D Feedback? Why not ask in the first place?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Rest assured that we won't be having any of that malarky on here, anyway... we are a far more civilised community.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I thought I had a case suing over my feedbacks here. Dang, now I have to get rich in another way.

Back to the think tank for me.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I thought I had a case suing over my feedbacks here. Dang, now I have to get rich in another way.

Back to the think tank for me.

You could make sure you always wear gloves when using your military-sepc Amiga 2000 hardware. It will sell for MUCH MORE MONEY if you do that.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Only in America! They sue each other over the most trivial of things. Step backwards in a queue onto someone's toe in LA and you will find you are being sued I'm sure. American's need to grow up. It's like a school playground, crying at every little thing. Learn from the British stiff upper lip!

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo
I don't want to sound like an ebay advocate, (I don't appreciate their business practises, hence why I try to avoid using them whenever possible) but in this particular case it sounds more a problem of the userbase than the ebay system. The problem is there are nutcases all around the world, and once your userbase reaches a size like ebay's, you can't really avoid keeping these people from the system. In this particular case, I'm not sure if there's anything ebay can do, it can't step in in the favor of any party. The same could happen at amibay too, what could amibay do if two users decide to sue eachother over a problematic transaction ?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
That's where Amibay is different, in that we try to offer a mediation service before things get to the litigation stage. We try to be pro-active whereas e*ay is reactive.

If that doesn't work, then Ford F-150s and shotguns patrolling the perimeter would fix it for me Coze, followed by the old Lawgiver 2 if any get through.....;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
The exact partiuclars of this case have not been shared, as such its very difficult to establish a legal basis.

However if one indulges in a little supposition -

From what I can gather, the purchaser left negative feed back, however instead of just reflecting the transaction in the comments, he (the purchaser) stated a reply likening the seller to "a used car sales man"

however theres no information on if this has gone to the next stage of court, its likely if the persuer cannot prove a loss to his business this will be laughed out the court and he (the persuer) will lose a small sum of cash in costs.

Its interesting that the persuer went after the buyer as opposed to eBay, infact if he has not sent a "take it down letter" this case will be laughed out of the courts on that ground alone.

Arguably this incidient has no bearing on AmiBay, although we are here to trade, we are forum based as such libelous cases are delt with differnetly in the US and the UK due to our inherent transient nature. (unlike a billboard thats static)

I have to admit, I truly detest law, its the only subject that I study that unsettles my stomach to the point of wanting to barf.

whos idea was it to let lawyers MAKE law? - Its like handing guns and crystal meth to primary school kids

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
whos idea was it to let lawyers MAKE law? - Its like handing guns and crystal meth to primary school kids

Presumably the same people that let Lord Mandelson write the Digital Economy Bill. It's not like you need to be elected to make law in this country!

Top Bottom