Old amigan gaining an intrest

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
Hi all

i have not had an amiga for about 10 yrs, so ive not been totally up with it all but have kept a close eye on the community for a while , i have decided to do a project for myself an A4000 T preferably or an desktop and put it in to a tower and upgrade it as most parts are cheap enough , glad to be back in the community hopefully with an A4k special :) .

hope you all well

Dave

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Hi there Scandal, welcome to AmiBay!
Always great to see new people taking interest in our wonderful computer, no matter if they were Amigans before or not. :)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Welcome to the madhouse.

We're all here to help each other.

Join in with the fun and intellegent questions and answer sessions (y)

If you can find any :whistle:

Dave G :cool:

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
lol cheers, ive bid on an a 4000t motherboard on ebay and will start from there to build me a 4000 tower with usb ect want all mod cons with amiga heart at the core of it and 0s4 not sure if i will run it on line more for me to play games on lol.

Last edited:

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
The ultimate solution for playing games is WHDLoad these days, one of the greatest utilities, well worth buying the license key. :cool:

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
i have winuae on my pc set it up for a virtual h/d and all sorts got a copy of 3.9 running on it downloaded adf games from sites , i miss all the fun lol , Pc is only good for surfing the net .

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
A4000T eh? You are going to build the ultimate of the Amiga computer series. I wish you good luck on your quest (and welcome to AmiBay).(y)

Suppose you're going for serious stuff with the Amiga?

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
i always wanted the 4000t but could never afford it then i had an A600 , then an A1200 with an uprated card , then drifted to the pc but the 4000T in my mind is the top end most expandable of them and i want to do this project for myself . the new motherboards and amiga one are the future i understand but to me they are nothing more than a PC running OS4.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hehe, I was debating putting in a bid for that A4000T board, but decided it's probably not worth it, now I have an A4000D board. Good luck with your Amiga project, this A4000 is my fourth Amiga now. I think I'll be after an A3000 next. :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Hi Scandal,

You'll need a PPC card in your A4KT to run OS4.0 Classic & in all honesty, it's slower than OS3.9 under an 060. Arguably, I'd say OS4.0 Classic was slower than an 040, possibly even an 030 @ 50Mhz with some applications.

If you just want to play games, I'd suggest you'd be better of with an A1200 & a nice 030 Card with some fast ram on it.

I use to love Ray Tracing & 3D Modeling on my old A4KT & A4KD machines, but tbh, the results are miles away from modern day solutions on the Pee Cee & even with an 060 banging away @ 66Mhz, render times are still like waiting for paint to dry. There is no support for rendering on the PPC cards either.

Good luck which ever way you go. I'm sure you'll have fun which ever you choose. (y)

Kin

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
If you just want to play games, I'd suggest you'd be better of with an A1200 & a nice 030 Card with some fast ram on it.

...and with WHDLoad installed... the perfect combination...(y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Hehe, I was debating putting in a bid for that A4000T board, but decided it's probably not worth it, now I have an A4000D board. <snip> :)

I'd take an A4KT over an A4KD anyday, just for the onboard SCSI alone. ;)

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hehe, I was debating putting in a bid for that A4000T board, but decided it's probably not worth it, now I have an A4000D board. <snip> :)

Kin

I'm holding out for a Cyberstorm III or PPC with UW-SCSI. That'll make any onboard SCSI redundant. I even have 36GB 15,000RPM disks to use with it! :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Kin

I'm holding out for a Cyberstorm III or PPC with UW-SCSI. That'll make any onboard SCSI redundant. I even have 36GB 15,000RPM disks to use with it! :D

Well of course it would Andy. - The A4KT only has SCSI II whereas the CS cards have SCSI III. Don't forget too, you have to find one first & they are as rare as hens teeth thesedays.

My point above is the A4KD does not have onboard SCSI & the IDE solution is a big hit on the CPU loading & Multi-tasking capabilities of the A4KD for it.

Kin

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
i have a bid on an a1200 only need a cheap one to butcher and put in to a tower if i dont get the 4k board i would go down that route .

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Scandal

Dunno how you deal with the other Bay, but rather than get dragged into sniping price driving antics, decide your maximum bid allowing for the shipping costs & walk away. It depends how much you want something as well I guess. ;)
I got fed up with the rush & frustration from sitting there in the closing minutes fighting with a laggy internet connection & missing out. Even if the bid is only at say £x.00 & you think you would be happy paying £xxx.00, make your £xxx.00 bid & walk away. Your bid will go to the next highest bid available & might only be @ £xx.00, but your highest bid will still be in place & if no one else goes as far as you are willing to, you win. :)

I don't want to sound condescending either. Just trying to offer you some advice. ;)

I really hope you find what you're after. (y)

Kin

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
Thanks for the advice mate i have done exactly that i have aprice and walk away , i feel amiga parts and computers A1200 / 4000 are cheap enough to purchase as they are for die hard followers ;) at low cost , if they dont im prepared to wait as something will come along eventually . Im regestered here so i can keep my eye on anything good that comes up i feel i could make a standard system for about £150 tops .

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I'm pretty sure you can grab a nice A1200 with 030 accelerator and a decent amount of RAM and good-sized HD for £150. :)

Scandal

Country
Essex , UK
I would prefer an 4000 project but as stated i would do a 1200 but would be looking at 060 / ppc board and fitting a pc tower and usb ect . Lol maybe a sticker saying powered by os4 inside .lol

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm pretty sure you can grab a nice A1200 with 030 accelerator and a decent amount of RAM and good-sized HD for £XXX. :)

I hope you're not price-driving there, Rogerio ;-)

Top Bottom