Old PC Software - any interest??

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I have been chatting with a friend about what to do with his old PC software, I have suggested I could put it on Amibay and he is willing to donate it so I would be putting it in the recycle bin.

There are things like Paradox, wordperfect, corel etc most with manuals and boxes.

Question is, would there be any interest for it? I don't want to fill my house with old software if nobody wants it.

What do you think?

Gary

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I would only be interested in certain titles like wordperfect 5.X etc.. Since dosbox does run most of them, and is also ported to things like pda etc..

But I would not pile it up to much if I were you, since probably there won't be much .. But legalising abandonware.com would be a good idea to me:readit:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
It would cost too much even to ship them to me, so I'm out. :(

Heather

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I've got loads of old PC software and never use any of it.

Give me a bit of retro Miggy software and I'll use it until the day I die :whistle:

Dave G :cool:

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Gary, it will be nice if they are in very good condition and of course adventure games.:)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Any old PC games might be of interest to collectors, but I very much doubt productivity software would be. Most commercial software continued development, and the best stayed until today with current versions, so why use DOS versions?

And unlike Amiga software, DOS software wasn't as user friendly, as there was no standardised interface for all developers to use, and so a lot of software back then did things its own way, which just made everything harder to use.

But legalising abandonware.com would be a good idea to me:readit:

The only solution is for a publisher or developer to publicly state they have now made a specific piece of software freeware for non-commercial use, and have published a statement to that effect. The term "abandonware" means absolutely nothing, and could never be used as a catch all term to encompass software that is no longer commercially available, but still under copyright.

BTW, have you been to http://abandonware.com/ ? :LOL:

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
DOS isn't friendly of course, but we have DOSBox.(y)

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I imagine these may well suit the collector or the enthusiast who is running older systems and wants suitable software.

I will pick a few up rather than bring them all back and see what happens.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
As you know, imnogeek, I collect old PCs
I'd be interested in what he's got (if you can get a list together) and I'll let you know which ones I want, but Wordperfect is of interest for my old 386SX.

Also, I have no preference over 3.5" or 5.25" as I now have acquired a working 5.25" HD floppy drive.

Top Bottom