older pc parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
not sure where to post this, so please feel free to move it to where it should be

i need some help guys. long story short i am trying to help a neighbour who is having a tough time of things, her pc has died. so i'm going to build her another one, now it doesn't need to be flash just word process, connect to broadband and general pc'ing type stuff. so the plead is for that old pc stuff you guys have kicking around so i can build something up, let me know what you have and how much you want for it. (i'm paying for this myself as she really has got no money)

cheers, JuvUK

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
Re: older pc parts?

Honestly, check out the "other" bay for something... unless someone has a complete setup that they can give to you.

I picked up (a few weeks ago) a £1200-£1300 Packard-Bell multimedia machine from "the turn of the century" - it had Win98SE, full MS Office, all the original media, fresh re-installed and working, 19" monitor, etc. Huge and ugly as heck, but it only cost 99p +collection from about 20 miles away. I thought there would be something useful inside it and I was right - I pulled its RAM and transferred it to my even older "toy" machine, then stripped the rest of it out (all the bits are in a drawer) and threw the monstrous case away. The seller was happy enough to not simply take it to a tip himself, I was pleased enough with half a gig of Crucial PC100 for 99p, I really don't know what to do with the CD-ReWriter or the DVD-ROM, nor the Quantum Fireball hard drive, and the motherboard with cables is in a pink plastic bag. If you lived near me, Juv, then you'd be welcome to the spare bits...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I have a couple of PCs you might be interested in for your friend.

The first is a fully working 11 year old PC that you are welcome to. I wouldn't want anything for it, just the postage costs.

The only snag is that being so old it can't run XP or Vista. So as long as she is happy using Win98 or WIn2000 it would be fine. It did run Windows 2000 perfectly well when I used to use it years ago as my main PC.

The specs of the system are:

Pentium 2 400MHz CPU
32MB TNT2 graphics card
Soundblaster soundcard
12GB HDD
512MB Ram
10/100 NIC PCI card
Win98 currently installed.

It only has a 4x speed CD-RW and maybe the same speed CD-Rom. So you might wish to put a faster drive in the system.

Let me know if you are interested. It is a very heavy system though so would cost quite a lot to ship. I can get you a price if you are interested though.

The second PC I have that I can offer you is a Biostar 200N SFF PC. This is a nice little system that is small enough to sit on a desk out of the way. I've also upgraded the case with a side fan to improve airflow.

This SFF PC has the following spec:

Athlon XP 3000+ CPU
512MB Ram
60GB HDD
Built in Geforce graphics card (AGP slot also in the system for graphics card if needed)
Built in sound and good set of built in ports including firewire, usb2 and two internal SATA ports.
I've also fitted an optional parallel port to the rear of the unit.
Currently it has Ubuntu installed.

It doesn't current have any external drives fitted, but there is room for one floppy drive and 1 5.25" drive. I can put a DVD-Rom drive in the system if you wanted.

This SFF PC still has its original box and packaging, plus manuals and support discs. And being small and fairly lightweight it shouldn't cost must to ship.

I would be looking for £50 + postage for this SFF system though.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

Check your PMs Juv (second one especially).

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

@H, don't be too quick to write off older hardware on the XP front... I successfully installed XP Pro into my 1997 Pentium MMX (clocked at 233MHz) - it did take two and a half hours to do it, but it actually ran quite well. :LOL:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I know XP would run, but not well. Linux would be good on there though.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

@Juv,

I have an old tower in the backroom.
It has a K7S5A motherboard with an AMD Duron 1400Mhz CPU (I have ran an Athlon XP 2000 so it will take a bigger cpu)
It takes both PC133 and DDR1 ram but there is none in it at the moment (May have some spare but will need to check).
It has a 20GB Hdd and a CDRW and a DVDRom (DVDRom doesn't work but i didn't have the blanking plate to cover the hole so left the drive in). Also has a 64Mb Hertcules AGP VGA Card.
It will need putting together properly as its not fully screwed in, some ram installing and an OS.
If you want it its yours for the cost of postage (£8 via parcel2go).

Mike

*EDIT*

I have 2x128Mb PC133 Ram chips i could send with it. (Sorry thats the biggest i have).

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ JuvUK

Just make sure it's Intel & you won't go far wrong. :wink:

Kin

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Harrison said:
Nothing wrong with AMD!

Only if it's installed in a Crusher or a Blast Furnace! :mrgreen:

Kin

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Hi all,
just wanted to say thankyou for all your very kind offers, but thanks to meega i have bought this

A CREAM P4 TOWER

INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.6GHZ 512MB 40GB DVD ROM

all in with carriage for £30.00

thanks again to all, JuvUK

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region

You can't blame me :whistle: You found it all on your lonesome :wink:

(It does look like a bit of a bargain though.)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Bargin & then some. Nice one Juzzer & ....

'Ello meega! - Hope ur well m8y! :pint:

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom