On going 3000T setup

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Ok, so as you know, for the last 2 days, I have been having a heck of a time trying to decipher files on my 3T. So yesterday, I came to a decision that should, when completed, make a lot more sense.

My Amiga A1000, A1200 and T are all in the same room on 2 different tables. I was down loading files to the PC (in another room) loading them on CF card, going to the A1200, then copying them to floppy and then going to the 3T. This took a bit of time and I was running all over the place.
PLEASE FORGIVE THE CRAPPY PHONE PICS.
I decided to tear everything down and put the 3 on the same table. Ignore the 1000 for now, I will figure out how to network it later.
I knew that both Amiga's used the VGA, so I decided to drag out the KVM switch and just hook up the monitor. I will be switch back to the LCD in the future, the one I had just stopped working one day.
I also knew I wanted to "network" the 2 Amiga's together. Without a X-surf card, I surmised the best way is to run a null-modem cable between the 2 Serial ports. I have no Idea if this will work, nor do I know what programs to use to "talk" to each other, but since everything was torn down, I figured "what the Heck"
I will be bugging Craig at Amitrix to see if he can find 3 Amiga link modules in his massive basement 'o Amiga stuff:D
I also took the time to hook up the external CD-Rom to the 3T.
I then found in my pile 'o junk, an old keyboard try unit, that the tray actually fell off of years ago. I figured this would be an excellent solution to slide the A1200 out of the way, so I can use the A3T keyboard and mouse.
Well after a couple of hours sweating away, you can see the results.

But...
I ran into some big problems.
Because I had not used the KVM switch in probably 4 years, I could not remember if it needed a wall wort or if it got its power from the PS/2 ports. Needless to say, I could not find the right wall wort to go with it and it doesn't work. It also has a propritary power plug, so, even though I found a wall wort with the same currency, it didn't work. I then started to hunt down a KVM switch that has external power, and Guess what? That is impossible these days, unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg.
So, I started to look around on the other bay for a possible solution and I found the VGA switch box. It was only $8 including shipping. So I am waiting to see if that will be ok.
Also, the sound. It seems like all the sound was disabled on the T, possibly at one time, there was a sound card in it. Right now the goofy speakers are just hooked up to the 1200, I will be looking for a solution to the T at a later time. It's kind of a moot point until I can get the video up and running.

More will be coming.....

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
the vga box will be fine bud, the room is looking good, i particularly like the boing ball piccy on the wall (y)

Ok, so as you know, for the last 2 days, I have been having a heck of a time trying to decipher files on my 3T. So yesterday, I came to a decision that should, when completed, make a lot more sense.

My Amiga A1000, A1200 and T are all in the same room on 2 different tables. I was down loading files to the PC (in another room) loading them on CF card, going to the A1200, then copying them to floppy and then going to the 3T. This took a bit of time and I was running all over the place.
PLEASE FORGIVE THE CRAPPY PHONE PICS.
I decided to tear everything down and put the 3 on the same table. Ignore the 1000 for now, I will figure out how to network it later.
I knew that both Amiga's used the VGA, so I decided to drag out the KVM switch and just hook up the monitor. I will be switch back to the LCD in the future, the one I had just stopped working one day.
I also knew I wanted to "network" the 2 Amiga's together. Without a X-surf card, I surmised the best way is to run a null-modem cable between the 2 Serial ports. I have no Idea if this will work, nor do I know what programs to use to "talk" to each other, but since everything was torn down, I figured "what the Heck"
I will be bugging Craig at Amitrix to see if he can find 3 Amiga link modules in his massive basement 'o Amiga stuff:D
I also took the time to hook up the external CD-Rom to the 3T.
I then found in my pile 'o junk, an old keyboard try unit, that the tray actually fell off of years ago. I figured this would be an excellent solution to slide the A1200 out of the way, so I can use the A3T keyboard and mouse.
Well after a couple of hours sweating away, you can see the results.

But...
I ran into some big problems.
Because I had not used the KVM switch in probably 4 years, I could not remember if it needed a wall wort or if it got its power from the PS/2 ports. Needless to say, I could not find the right wall wort to go with it and it doesn't work. It also has a propritary power plug, so, even though I found a wall wort with the same currency, it didn't work. I then started to hunt down a KVM switch that has external power, and Guess what? That is impossible these days, unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg.
So, I started to look around on the other bay for a possible solution and I found the VGA switch box. It was only $8 including shipping. So I am waiting to see if that will be ok.

More will be coming.....

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Thanks,
Thats one of the Amiga inc posters. I forget who, but someone sent it to me about a year ago, either from here or Amiga.org

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I wouldn't bother with a VGA switcher (mechanical atleast) since all the ones iv seen does a lot of 'ghosting' on the screen.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
I wouldn't bother with a VGA switcher (mechanical atleast) since all the ones iv seen does a lot of 'ghosting' on the screen.

Ok.. how would I go about it then, are you suggesting swapping the cable back and forth each time? or do you have a better solution?

Country
Diedorf, Germany
I can approve that with the ghosting. Had the same idea, and now I change the cables each time, like before. The quality with the switch is not good. Would also be interested in an other solution! :)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I use a ATEN VideoMatrix to switch the output from my 4000D to my :censored: PC onto my monitor. It comes with its own power supply and is elecrronically switched.

I don't get any ghosting.

Dave G :cool:

Top Bottom