One of the dumbiest question i ever had

gavilan

Amiga user & abuser since 1988
AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
My fellow amigans: after all the "magical journey", im almost ready to build my Amiga. I suddenly noticed that the plastic that goes between the A1200 mobo and the cover shield is missing.

Im sure that if i build the machine without the plastic cover, i will make a short circuit and my Amiga will kapput as soon as i power on:D

Since i have no way of having that plastic, i was wondering if there is a replacement, and, if you had a similar experience, what did you you as replacement?

All ideas, comments, suggestions are more than welcome here!!!

Thanks! (y)

Sebastian

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
A couple of coats of clear acrylic paint? Acrylic is a plastic, after all......

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Or find a bit of plastic and cut to size? :)

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
nodnod

perhaps get someone who has the original and use it as a stencil

ensure to use a suitable plastic with the same properties as the original

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
Thanks guys for your ideas!

@Merlin: i had already tought about that!! I have that paint at home. Was wondering if i could just put some layers on the bottom part of the mobo? It wont harm any part of the mobo? Any secondary unnecesary side effect you can imagine it will have? I have black, blue and green acrylic paint does the color matter? Krylon is the brand popular here. Do you know that brand over there?

@Andy: yes, problem is i cant think of anything plastic i could have in my house with that size or thickness? Also , dont know where i could buy a "piece of plastic" and then just cut it...damn...what a stupid dilemma i have here :=)

I have ALL but that plastic cover...thank God i didnt power on the machine!! Or i would be writing in the Rant thread rather than here!!!

Thanks guys
Sebastian

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

nodnod

perhaps get someone who has the original and use it as a stencil

ensure to use a suitable plastic with the same properties as the original

So...not a "normal" or "regular" piece of plastic will do the trick? It has to be "special" plastic??? (n)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Just a suggestion. How about using a laminator pocket, the type of plastic sleeve that you use to laminate A4 paper?

It comes in loads of different sizes ( I have up to A3 size here), you can mark it out, you can leave it unlaminated and flexible or laminate it to have a rigid sheet of thin plastic.

Genius!!

(y)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
plastic carrier bag?

i have used anti stone chip clear plastic before now, if you can wait a week for me to get back from my holiday i could post some to you?

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
Merlin Wizard of Amiga mobo´s plastic cover!!!! (y)

Indeed, a genious idea!!!!
You just have made my day Sir!!!! (y)

:bowdown:

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Or find a bit of plastic and cut to size? :)

This is what I did once I had an A4000 missing it's plastic.

I bought a clear plastic sack at a hardwarestore. Folded it over in double layer and cut to size.

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
plastic carrier bag?

i have used anti stone chip clear plastic before now, if you can wait a week for me to get back from my holiday i could post some to you?

Hey Justin!!! How r u?? Lucky you on holiday!!!! I wont have holidays until march next year!!! :p

Sure i can wait my friend!! Let me know !!!

Thanks!!! (y)

Mods: guess that with all this ideas, i have compiled enough info and data so consider this dumb question as an EX dumb question!! :D

Thanks to all of you guys!!
Sebastian

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
Nice ideas, but unfortunatly the alternatives mentioned here are not ESD protective and could potentially have a very damaging effect.
If the original non-static plastic is not available I would suggest using a piece of (thin) cardboard.

It's not a dumb question though! When I still had my computer store I actually had a customer bring his home built PC in to get it fixed, it never worked after he built it. No wonder, he did not use the spacers between the motherboard and casing!! That means ALL electrical connection at the back of the mainboard (including the ATX connector) were shorted in the case.
Good thing he had a proper, good quality powersupply that kicked in it's protection. Everything actually worked after placing the proper spacers...

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
You could always ask if somebody has a spare plastic sheet from an A1200 that they no longer need after they stuck their A1200 into a tower

;)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Nice ideas, but unfortunatly the alternatives mentioned here are not ESD protective and could potentially have a very damaging effect.
If the original non-static plastic is not available I would suggest using a piece of (thin) cardboard.

It's not a dumb question though! When I still had my computer store I actually had a customer bring his home built PC in to get it fixed, it never worked after he built it. No wonder, he did not use the spacers between the motherboard and casing!! That means ALL electrical connection at the back of the mainboard (including the ATX connector) were shorted in the case.
Good thing he had a proper, good quality powersupply that kicked in it's protection. Everything actually worked after placing the proper spacers...

@ Tahoe

I'm pretty sure that the ABS plastic case isn't ESD protective either and the main board is screwed into that. Doesn't a thin plastic sheet carry the same level of risk....??

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
(y)you can use regular paper for printers (A3/A4/Letter.. you know what I mean)

(y)Paper can carry alittle static electricity but is much worse to do so than lamination plastic.

(y)I use paper for general isolations, i.e. in my A1200 with CF to IDE converter

(n)Don't use paper from magazines (glossy)

(n)using lamination plastic is probably not a good idea, as Tahoe mentions due to static electricity.

(n)Using ESD bags is not a good idea either since it works kinda like a resister of 1-2Mohms.

ED: seems like tokyo came alittle ahead of me while I was writing this post

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Plastic sheet intended for electric motors is suitable: they came in various colours and are ESD-proof. Here they are called "Mylar paper".

Also paper for electric motors are suitable, as they don't absorb water from the ambient (i.e. not hygroscopic).

So go to an electrical motor repair shop and buy from they.

gavilan

AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires

@Tahoe: wow, thanks a lot for that info!!! Thank God i still didnt do it!!! My first toughts were about using a thin cardboard or paper but, i was afraid of the mobo getting too hot, with the risk of a potential fire? I dont know, maybe the mobo gets too hot and the paper gets flamed?? Or im i exaggerating here? I would try with normal printer paper, since i have plenty of them, but first i want to be 100% sure... but cardboard seems to be also a nice alternative, right? Maybe better than inter paper?

@Tomse: have you used printer paper on same amigas before?? Is the isolation good? what about the heat?? Is that a problem for the paper??

@rkauer: thanks my friend! Good tip also. Will hav eto check with a friend who works in an electrical motor repair shop. Have to find how are those called in Argentina :D

@blankstare: as always, you rock!! (y) PM for that spare one!!!

@AmiNeo: thanks mate, already got in touch with that seller , asking for shipping costs.

Now i realize i will need at least 2 of them in case my towering project wont succeed

Thanks to all for your answers and help . Much appreciated guys! (y)

Sebastian

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
@Seb: is the plastic sheet used to insulate internally electric motors, nothing more, nothing less.

They are commonly sold in white/pale yellow/light blue/orange and black.

Top Bottom