Online SUCCESS!!! Posting from A1200

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Wow. This is like the internet from the stone age! Amazing.

Don't know quite how I did it but I did it. MiamiDX is ABSOLUTELY NOT self-configuring. It's taken weeks of pottering with the config to finally get it to communicate past my router! What a nightmare! But pleased it's working now.

Right, anyone can reccomend a good newsreader? Oh, and a better browser that cun run on my Blizzard Mk IV, 128MB RAM? I'm using iBrowse now, dunno what version, but it's well shonky. There's loads of code at the top of each webpage. I know that I'm not going to find a great web experience for Amiga, but something a little more capable would be nice!

S

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Congratulations! I've still not managed to find time to internet-ify any of my Amigas. Also, kudos for using the word 'shonky' -- It's a good word and needs much more use. :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I found AWeb 3.1 not as "shonky" as iBrowes, but its system cpu hungry

ivansc

Country
uk
Region
Wistow, Cambs
I have been using tfts of various sorts on my 1200 with just a 23 to 15 adapter & running vga compatible mode, since I never play games.

Been out of the loop on hardware for years - is there now a straightforward way of getting at 15mhz with a regular monitor?

Oh, and are you guys accessing the net with pcmcia networking cards? If so, what cards work and have drivers available for Amy?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I know that Etherlink 3C589 wired PCMCIA cards work (Type 1 versions only - not Type 2) and Netgear MA401 wireless cards also work, from reading around; unfortunately, none of my A1200s are accelerated so I haven't tried it yet. It's also got something to do with the Prism chipset.

I'll let the experts take it from here.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I have the Netgear MA401, works fine with the prism2 driver and MiamiDX on my A1200 on my Wireless Network.

I wrote a little guide here on Amibay (only covers automatic setup via the wizzard though)

Steve.

ivansc

Country
uk
Region
Wistow, Cambs
Thanks! I shall go read....but will the netgear FA410tx work? Anyone?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Netgear 410 (not the 401) will not work, as it is a cardbus card, not a PCMCIA type II.

ivansc

Country
uk
Region
Wistow, Cambs
thanks for the advice _ I can see I will ahve to shop carefully if I go ahead.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
thanks for the advice _ I can see I will ahve to shop carefully if I go ahead.

Hello. I have an MA401 that I could let go of, I lost interest in trying to configure it when I realised there was no way to have better security than WEP on it and I didn't want to compromise my network like that. Ended up going wired, but that was still no stroll in the park...

If you're interested, yours for a tenner, shipped. Paypal gift.

S

ivansc

Country
uk
Region
Wistow, Cambs
! Wish I had seen this sooner - I already bought one for £10 plus shipping!!!!
Grr!

Top Bottom