moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
615034280_Big.jpg

A commodore 486 laptop. a 486sx to be exact. 3.5" drive, full vga screen, 20mb harddrive. Why didn't they make an Amiga into this case too? (saw it in an auction, not mine. unfortunally)

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
E-machine Laptop

E-machine Laptop

I'm looking at gutting it and seeing if a 1200 or 600 will fit in..
Will not be a true laptop since I will still have to plug it in but portable it will be..
Chris :whistle:

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Will not be a true laptop since I will still have to plug it in but portable it will be..

That's a bit hardcore for me, since I probably wont figure out the monitor connector nor the keyboard connector. but space wise it ought to fit since they were quite fat back in the day. But would be rad.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Even gutting out the 486 mobo there will be enough room for an Amiga board.

But making a custom bottom case will be enough for an A600 with Indivision ECS, pico-PSU and Keyrah/Lyrah.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Ahh, c'mon, if you can get it working with the laptop VGA and keyboard connectors, there should be no reason you can't jury-rig a connection to the laptop battery ;)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
A commodore 486 laptop. a 486sx to be exact. 3.5" drive, full vga screen, 20mb harddrive. Why didn't they make an Amiga into this case too? (saw it in an auction, not mine. unfortunally)

If you do a bit of reading, IIRC Commodore just re-branded some (I think) GRID laptops, by that time they had sold EAGLE LCD and just wanted to test the waters to see if a Commodore branded laptop would work. Of course this "experiment" would mean nothing, because within a year, LBM had bleed the company dry.:Doh:

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
You have to measure the inner space of that laptop case, and compare it to the footprint of the Amiga motherboard you want to use. Thickness (height) shouldn't be that much of a problem. You'd also need to find data on the screen pinout, and interfacing it to the Amiga (tough one). A keyboard should not be so much of a problem, actually you should look around for a replacement one, they do come in numeric keypad-less flavors, so should fit one in there. Otherwise, you'd need some data on the keyboard too. Plus, if it's a ribbon you'd have a hell of a time to do the connections. Now, the battery part, it's not that easy! Suppose you get the required voltages, you'd have to drive (feed) both the monitor, the mobo, and storage. Plus find a way of charging it... Hmmmmm!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
OK, i have to ask:oops:

can someone please explain this in stupid person terms?

Why can't an Amiga be wired to run off a laptop battery? surely the Amiga is a very low power consumption machine and would make a great portable?

and what is this picture all about?

cheers, JuvUK

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@JuvUK:
That there looks like a modded psu with a CBM power socket standing by. If anyone wants to utilize a battery for any Amiga model (preferably an A600/A1200) they'd have to get required voltages off of it, whereas usually they're single voltage output, but that's only a minor detail. They'd also have to figure out a way to charge the battery every time it drains, and much better be able to operate the Amiga on current while the charger is working. Needless to say that writing AOS-compatible software for power-handling would be a big task on its own. Then, you have the space factor. A laptop cell would take some big part of the inner space. If this would be the pictured lappie from CBM, i'd say there's not much room in there even for the mobo!

Top Bottom