chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina
Hello,
just want to inform you that im really unhappy with state of the AmiBay now. It was really successful trading site before it migrated to vBulletin. Now it became another chatting board in these days, most posts are irrelevant chitchat bollocks etc. which can be discussed at eab/a.org... I dont know if you/staff can do something with that, or if they even have will for it, but it really pissess me off, and im sure im not alone. Think about it, and if you have some rights to change it (w/rules), then there is still a chance.
But if you are happy with hundreds of posts every day which are not about business here, then it cant be helped and simply ignore my letter.

regards

Chain

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
I don't see any difference with the situation before the migration to vBulletin.

And of course you don't NEED to read the chat subfora. If you only want to see the ads, then stick to those fora. Frankly, I don't see your problem.

Tip: don't use the "xxx Unread Posts" link on the upper right corner. That function sucks, just go directly to the subfora.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
@chain:

People come to Amibay, find a friendly atmosphere with good people and sometimes besides trading they want to post some other questions/rants/general stuff. It just shows how much people appreciate the advice and the forum in general. There is nothing wrong with it and certainly anyone can ignore those posts. As McVenco mentioned, the same was with the old amibay forum.
Maybe Harrison can implement an option for users to choose which subforums they wish to monitor for new posts? I do not know if it is even possible btw...

@McVenco:

Use the "mark forums read" option from the "Quick Links" menu, after that only the really new posts would appear in the upper right corner.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hello,
just want to inform you that im really unhappy with state of the AmiBay now. It was really successful trading site before it migrated to vBulletin. Now it became another chatting board in these days, most posts are irrelevant chitchat bollocks etc. which can be discussed at eab/a.org... I dont know if you/staff can do something with that, or if they even have will for it, but it really pissess me off, and im sure im not alone. Think about it, and if you have some rights to change it (w/rules), then there is still a chance.
But if you are happy with hundreds of posts every day which are not about business here, then it cant be helped and simply ignore my letter.

regards

Chain

i'm sorry, but i find this "open letter" to be quite offensive and full of unsuitable language (shouldn't posts be office friendly?)
I am probably one of the most guilty parties for posting b*ll*cks as you put it, but i enjoy the community side of this site very much, there is no law that you have to even look at the posts you don't like.
Just use the main page which lists the hardware/software only threads that you would be interested in and ignore the rest.
Why anyone would feel the need to spoil other peoples use of Amibay is beyond me.
So, sorry you don't like the "chat" aspect, but just don't read it and your problem is solved.

regards, JuvUK

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I am sure a suitable solution will be found soon to satisfy ALL amibay needs-of-use , there is no need to turn this in a flame thread amigos! Everyone has different needs and the amibay devs make the best they can to satisfy those needs.

Predseda

Ruler of sour yellows
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Praha
I second there should be an option how to see only the unread posts in the trading forums. I am also annoyed when I return to the amibay after few hours and there is something like "150 new posts since your last visit", which i need to browse and find which one is about trading and which one isnt. We need a filter.

For chatting / solving problems I have EAB etc.

chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina
i'm sorry, but i find this "open letter" to be quite offensive and full of unsuitable language (shouldn't posts be office friendly?)
I am probably one of the most guilty parties for posting b*ll*cks as you put it,

well, from my point of view is there a more chatting than trading.
and if my letter looks too hars then just imagine you to write it in japanese. englisgh isnt my native language you know. i can only "simply" put my thoughts on the paper (well, not literally)

so hoooray for filter "dont show me chatting subforums in new posts"

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ chain

Considering the Amiga is so old now & so few parts are available, it stands to reason there would be more chat than sales. Go Figure. ;)

AmiBay has changed since it's first inception. AmiBay has merely moved with the times & the general consensus through the feedback section has helped chisel away @ AmiBay until we have what we have now, but it has always had an element of chat to it. It's just got a whole lot more popular than anyone ever imagined.

Personally, I think JuvUK is right sayng about your opening post on this thread & just to add to his statement above, if you can't stand the heat in the Kitchen, get out. ;)

Kin

chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina
im rude coz anybody just want to chitchat here and searchin a solution for few traders only is probably lot of work
nice, very nice, i will remember that,
you will not hear word about filtering from me now

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ chain

If you're going to start something off, going defensive when you don't get the answers you want, is not the way to find an amicable solution. :dry:

Everyone wants the best, but then you can only please some people some of the time and never all the people, all of the time. :)

Kin

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hold your horses guyz....

I really don't understand. Lot of fuss 'bout nothing. AmiBay was never an only-about-trade-post-site, but beyond that.

Because there are amiga.org, amigaworld.net, or even EAB, that doesn't mean that we cannot post here other than trade posts... :nod:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
There is already a discussion started in the feedback forum asking for custom search links to be setup so that members can click to view new posts in just the trading areas of the site, or new posts in other areas.

Please can discussions about this issue be continued in that thread? Thank you.

chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina
Because there are amiga.org, amigaworld.net, or even EAB, that doesn't mean that we cannot post here other than trade posts... :nod:

We should focus mainly on trade posts because there are amiga.org, amigaworld.net, or even EAB...:nod:

but youre right, im just different :nuts:

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

There is already a discussion started in the feedback forum asking for custom search links to be setup

maybe im different but not ALONE, hooray :LOL:

to mods: please close this thread

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Why you have to focus on something?

Life it's not only Buy & Sell, and you cannot find all those users also in another forums I guess.

Also, you can avoid those threads and read the trading ones. Simple m8.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
discussion is continued on the other thread , this one has served it's purpose :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Chain

I'm sorry that you feel this way. AmiBay has evolved since it's first inception as a trading site, that much is true; it's evolved to be something much bigger than we ever imagined, it's not a whole retro community as well as a trading site.

People come here for the atmosphere, as it's a more moderated site than most and it's all the better for it in my opinion. If I wanted a flame war or to take my chances with the trolls, there are plenty of sites out there (No names to protect the guilty ;)) to cater for my needs in that department.

The chat attracts new members, new members trade stuff - how hard can it be to figure that out? Certain other auction sites are trying to make it near-impossible to trade successfully these days and they are alienating their members.

As you correctly state, you can quite easily ignore the chat areas, that is up to you....Harrison is arranging to split Trading Posts from the Chat areas in the menu bar accordingly.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom