Operations vs. Development

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I'm in development, and in 99 of a 100 cases I, and most of the rest of developers in projects I've been in work well with IT Operations.

But I have an axe to grind.

It's so typical that when Operations don't know how to do something they don't ask anyone. They hide.

Right now it's most apparent with the migration from Oracle products to open source. They don't know how to set up an efficient JBoss install, and I need to know how they've set it up to safely restart it.

Arnljot: Please restart the two instances of test servers
Operations: You can do it yourself
Arnljot: Great, how do I do it?
Operations: Check the server documentation we've made
Arnljot: Great, where do I find it (it's not one place for documentation, there are several repositories, and they are wast)?
Operations: Here is the confluence (wiki) url
Arnljot: Fantastic, thanks!

Then... Open the URL... The document is near empty, lots of "TODO's" and "FIX-mes" and the section on restarting the server instance is empty.

Grrr!

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
LOL, obviously, you're a DBA of some sort, eh? Whenever i hear the word Oracle i get the goose-bumps :D I come from the other camp, the IT adm, army :) But i sympathise :) The abovementioned suite has gone through so many versions, with so many incompatibilities and so costly, that it's no wonder many look at the OSS solutions. I dunno if this helps or not, but would it come in handy if you go through the JBoss documentation released by them? http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossApplicationServerOfficialDocumentationPage
I suppose you're under either Winblows or Linux on this, no experience there whatsoever, have dealt with Sun systems all the time..
You should be around when we decided to build a disaster center and had to replicate the db to a remote location.. Chaos!:D:D:D

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Hehe, nah. I'm a java developer. And for this client we're building a new metadatabase system. A system which has some of the metadata on all their other data.

It's a java web app, and it's supposed to go to the test environment today. Problem is that the mentioned environment is as slow as [insert favourite curse word here].

I'm really glad I'm not a DBA, they've got their hands full, and those guys aren't the problem here. They're doing a great job of migrating us from Oracle 9i to Oracle 11g.

But the server app consultants who were hired in to set that up, those I hope were cheap.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Consultants?

You mean that kind of guy who takes your watch from your pulse to tell you the hours, then charge for it?

Top Bottom