OS 3.1s for a4000t, will they work on 3000?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
As long as that the Amiga 3000 has Kisckstart 3.1 or better: YES

=D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
It might mess up in the scsi devices. The A4KT has IDE & SCSI whereas the A3K only has SCSI. This could mean the wrong scsi.device would be installed. Afair, the A4KT install script installs scsi.device (IDE) & 2ndscsi.device (SCSI). Can anyone clarify the exact & real A4KT SCSI name please?

A work around would be to copy the 2ndscsi.device manually to the A3K's Devs: folder & rename it to scsi.device. & before a re-boot. ;)

Kin

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon
It might mess up in the scsi devices. The A4KT has IDE & SCSI whereas the A3K only has SCSI. This could mean the wrong scsi.device would be installed. Afair, the A4KT install script installs scsi.device (IDE) & 2ndscsi.device (SCSI). Can anyone clarify the exact & real A4KT SCSI name please?

A work around would be to copy the 2ndscsi.device manually to the A3K's Devs: folder & rename it to scsi.device. & before a re-boot. ;)

Kin

as far as i know scsi.device is contained within the kickstart ROM -- it doesn't get 'installed' by the workbench installation as such.
(The A4000T has a slightly different kickstart revision which also contains the 2nd.scsi.device)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ hikey

I'm blind here atm & can't read my A4KT Install disk.... :|

Kin

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem with using A4000T Workbench 3.1 install disks on an A3000 either D or T is the fact that the A4000T had a file removed from the Kickstart ROMS and moved to the Workbench disks to make room for the SCSI controller onboard. As far as I know the installation of the disks should work, although you will have at least one extraneous file installed on your boot partition. But as said earlier, you need to have corresponding ROMs to use Workbench 3.1. I was under the impression that 3.0 or higher would work, as my 3.0 ROMs for my A4000D let me install 3.1, but maybe my system is an exception to that rule?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
No exception. Workbench 3.1 works flawlessly with 3.0 ROM.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm asking this on behalf of my Amiga repairman: Will A4000T WB disks work for a A3000

If you're on about Workbench 3.1 disks, they're all identical, irrespective of what Amiga they came with.

You probably need the right version of the Kickstart ROMs, not sure how well one Amiga plays with another's ROMs.

Top Bottom