OS 3.9 performance with 030

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Been using the excellent ClassicWB Lite and Full for a couple years and have had great results.

Receiving another 030 here shortly and thinking of moving over to OS 3.9.

Been tinkering with it in WinUAE and I can't get a feel for how well it will perform on a real A1200.

Thinking of using the ClassicWB version of 3.9...I know its set to 64 colour desktop.

Would that be far too slow for a lowly 030 A1200?

edit: I plan to replace the 030 with an 060 sometime later on.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@ 50 MHz with minimum 32MB ram, prefered minimum 64MB Ram should be OK.

I'm running OS3.5 on my 030@40 with atm 9MB ram (A2000) it's doable, and even ok speedy when using network aswell. Just like running OS3.1 on 2MB ram with no acceleration, but atleast give it a shot :) if you like the speed then it would be ok.
Though it also depends on what you are going to do.. but thats just like any other computer :)

thgill

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Sooooo I am guessing 4 megs fast ram is cutting it a bit close. :whistle:

Perhaps 3.1 will continue to be my best bet.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ thgill

Here is a link for the hardware requirements for OS3.9

http://os.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=8

I'd agree with Tomse RE an 030, but 32Mb of Ram should be more than adequate with a 50Mhz 030. Rule of thumb is always have as much fast Ram as you can fit to your accelerator card. I run 3.9 on an M-Tec 030 clocked to 42mhz with 8Mb of fast ram & it still zips along quite nicely. (y)

An 020 is absolute minimum & will chug a little for it, but it's still doable even with 8mb behind it as a bonus.

Kin

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
oh, you gotta try the CWB_OS3.9 edition, it is brilliant! I was running that on my 1230/mk4 board with excellent results! For extra speed I was using a 32color 640x512 screenmode and disabled the copper background since at the time I was testing the BETA version it had some issues...

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
On the A3000 with RTG card it is rather fast and doable as long there not a long list of colored icons in a drawer. (I was surprised about the performance) It is doable without the RTG card if you revert to another Icon solution and have lower color icons.

But the A3000 has probably more then you're A1200, but it's a 25 mhz machine.. However I did own a A1200 030 in the past (a couple of years ago) and the 050 mhz 030 are really feeling fast, but you'll loose some of that on os 3.9, and yup forget to pimp os 3.9 further on the road to.. Afaos etc is a little overtop even on my A3000..

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I found that the Classic Workbench OS3.9 pack was quite slow, even on my 040 @25mhz so you might be better off with a stock OS3.9

I'm usually the biggest fan of Classic Workbench, just that pack was a little slow for me even as I say with the faster processor.

Have a look at the ADV SP pack, it has the same icons but is based on OS3.1 so is very fast on an 030

Anyway, nothing stopping you testing them all out. :cool:

Steve.

thgill

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah Steve, I have seen your videos on Youtube running ADV SP with that :censored: nice lcd of yours and it looks suave.

Pretty much appears very close to 3.9 in appearance.

I think I will d/l ADV SP and see how it goes.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I've got stock OS3.9 running in A1200/030/128MB/IndyAGA and in A4000/040/16/RTG/IndyAGA. Both run ok. The former benefits from fast RAM and the latter from RTG.

What does the ClassicWB3.9 offer over the stock one?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I run OS3.5 quite successfully on an A1200 with 4MB Fast in the trapdoor. It's not exactly lightning-fast, but it's perfectly usable.

I've not tried OS3.9 yet. I'll be installing that on my A4000 when it returns. I'll report back how well it performs on an '030/25 with 16MB motherboard Fast RAM.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
What does the ClassicWB3.9 offer over the stock one?

Its fully setup with a plethora of usful programs and utiliities, DOpus, WHDLoad, IGame, Custom Menu's, Boot Menus for Max Mem, Loads of Icon Packs, Web Browser (AWEB) Games/Demo Menus, loads more. Check out the link:

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Steve.

thgill

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, tinkered around with ADV SP in WinUAE with 2 megs chip and 4 megs fast attempting to simulate my requirements.

Appears to work fine. 1.8 megs chip and 2.5 megs Fast free after bootup and tweaking a few things. Would really like to see over 3 megs of fast free though.

My only concern is the 64 color icons and desktop settings. I have a feeling thats going to be a little slow on an 030. Plus I am still rocking a 1084s, so I dunno how well High Res Laced is going to work out.

Hmm.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Ok, tinkered around with ADV SP in WinUAE with 2 megs chip and 4 megs fast attempting to simulate my requirements.

Appears to work fine. 1.8 megs chip and 2.5 megs Fast free after bootup and tweaking a few things. Would really like to see over 3 megs of fast free though.

My only concern is the 64 color icons and desktop settings. I have a feeling thats going to be a little slow on an 030. Plus I am still rocking a 1084s, so I dunno how well High Res Laced is going to work out.

Hmm.

High Res Laced is flicker fest 2010 on my regular 1084...

To save memory you can turn off some of the options, reduce colurs to 16 (still looks ok) but in High Res the Icons will look silly and DOpus will be squished, IGame wont work as they are optimised for High Res Laced, you can do what I did with CWB ADV and use the IGame/Dopus from CWB Full.

Steve.

Top Bottom