Over-describing trend

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
OK I admit this has nothing to do with retro stuff, but it is a rant :)

Has anybody else noticed that these days every menu is ten times longer than it needs to be? Here's a few examples I've recently seen:

"locally-sourced beef patty in an organic ciabatta with hand-cut triple-cooked wedges" - Oh, you mean burger and chips!
"Hand-picked hotel" - how exactly did you hand-pick that giant hotel?
"Artisan bread" - sorry what exactly is artisan about flour and water?
"Sea salt and cracked black pepper potato chips" - you mean crisps right?

This pretentious crap really bothers me, it wastes so much time trawling through the drivel trying to find the small pieces of actual information.

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
...and of course pork isn't pork anymore...

It's PULLED BLOODY PORK.

Why?

I agree, mate - the whole world's gone ga-ga.

BAZ67

limboy777

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Uk
Region
Lancashire
OK I admit this has nothing to do with retro stuff, but it is a rant :)

Has anybody else noticed that these days every menu is ten times longer than it needs to be? Here's a few examples I've recently seen:

"locally-sourced beef patty in an organic ciabatta with hand-cut triple-cooked wedges" - Oh, you mean burger and chips!
"Hand-picked hotel" - how exactly did you hand-pick that giant hotel?
"Artisan bread" - sorry what exactly is artisan about flour and water?
"Sea salt and cracked black pepper potato chips" - you mean crisps right?

This pretentious crap really bothers me, it wastes so much time trawling through the drivel trying to find the small pieces of actual information.

This is so true!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
...and of course pork isn't pork anymore...

It's PULLED BLOODY PORK.

Why?

I agree, mate - the whole world's gone ga-ga.

BAZ67

Pulled pork isn't the same as roast pork because it isn't sliced, but cooked slowly so it pulls apart into tender strands.

- - - Updated - - -

The rest is just marketing thinking it makes everything sound more up market.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
"This isn't just advertising; it's M&S advertising..."

What we need are more honest adverts and less of the 'Tarquin and Jemima focus group' type of adverts. In fact, we don't need adverts althogether, especially these 'push' adverts that stop bloody web pages loading quickly these days. Dag nammit, you've got me started now...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
One reason I love Sky On Demand. Rather than recording a program on Sky+ to watch later, downloading the same program from Catchup normally means all the adverts are removed for you anyway. I don't quite get their reasoning for this as they could surely make some money from that advertising space but it is good.

Only really annoying time with On Demand programs having adverts was the 24 series boxset. All 9 series of 24 had the same adverts between the 3 sections of every episode, so that meant you have to fast forward the same adverts over 600 times if you watched every episode (which I did earlier in the year). Drove me mad.

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Let's put it this way, there was NEVER EVER any mention of 'pulled' pork up to a short while ago, mate.
Now it's bloody EVERYWHERE - you cannot move for...

PULLED PORK.

Bloody ridiculous.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
well its either you say pulled pork or you say.
slow cooked selection of finest bore meat tenderly teased apart and caressed in a rich smokey barbeque sauce.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
'Pulled Pork' sounds like a euphemism for something... I'm sure it will be in Roger's Profanisaurus somewhere...:whistle:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Let's put it this way, there was NEVER EVER any mention of 'pulled' pork up to a short while ago, mate.
Now it's bloody EVERYWHERE - you cannot move for...

PULLED PORK.

Bloody ridiculous.

On the contrary, it's bloody delicious.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
For sale, this gorgeous, sensual Amiga 1200 computer. Lavished with an absolutely stunning 68030 processor with lashings of smooth, creamy FastRAM, it's a must for any retro computer enthusiast.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I totally agree that all this splendiforous pontification of the eloquently designed and subtly accented depiction of the English vocabulary is reprehensibly abhorrent. The populace should immediately and irrevocably cease and desist this detestable practice with all due haste.

Sincerely, faithfully, and conscientiously yours,

Heather

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I totally agree that all this splendiforous pontification of the eloquently designed and subtly accented depiction of the English vocabulary is reprehensibly abhorrent. The populace should immediately and irrevocably cease and desist this detestable practice with all due haste.

Sincerely, faithfully, and conscientiously yours,

Heather

I concur. Indubitably. Henceforth, any extraneous use of ostentatious and aggrandising English shall be systematically dispensed with and the user will be ostracised.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I concur. Indubitably. Henceforth, any extraneous use of ostentatious and aggrandising English shall be systematically dispensed with and the user will be ostracised.
Pzovw.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Pzovw.gif

Arnie

Country
UK
Region
Leicester
'Pulled Pork' sounds like a euphemism for something... I'm sure it will be in Roger's Profanisaurus somewhere...:whistle:

Well you've now got 'Pulled Chicken' which is now more of a euphemism for something....

What next! 'Pulled Chopped Ham with Pork'

keitha

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
For sale, this gorgeous, sensual Amiga 1200 computer. Lavished with an absolutely stunning 68030 processor with lashings of smooth, creamy FastRAM, it's a must for any retro computer enthusiast.

I was hungry! But now am 'horney' :LOL:

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
It's kind of like the special sauce on a Big Mac at McDonalds. They could just say it is "1000 Island Dressing" instead.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Simon Rimmer(?) For Sunday brunch C4 in the UK claimed he invented pulled pork in his restaurant. Not sure if that is true, but you blame him.

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Arnold Rimmer more like...

Aye, that figures.
Wish he'd stick it back where he pulled it from..!

Say, who's for fixing me a Scarlet Lady?
Make that a copper colour headed, toffee aroma'd, thick, hoppy and mildly bitterised pint of your best foaming ming mong fluid, bar tender.
BAZ67

Top Bottom