ramborolf

Custom User Title
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Asdal
Hellooooo.. lallalala..

I have a bppc060@66mhz (upgraded from a 040) & 603@200mhz with a 66mhz busclock.

the PPC: XPC603PRX200LE

I want to clock the ppc a bit.. As i have understood it will be relatively safe to clock it to 266mhz(4x).. It comes as 3x from factory...

My question is as follows... Is it possible to clock this cpu with a 4.5 multiplier (4.5x66=297mhz).. :ninja:
Ive seen those cards running at 330mhz, but i recon that is another version of the 603 i have.. (or is it "safe" with my config too?)

I have proper cooling so i dont think it will overheated.. the original bppc fan + an extra fan blowing cold air onto the ppc card.. i have populated the ppc-card with memoryheatsinks.. Same goes for BVision.. Added heatsink over permida with a fan + heatsinks on most of the chips...

(Please no comments how dangerous this is and how rare the HW is.. : )

If you have any tips/tricks about this operation (exept soldering stuff and actually not performing the actual operation.. : )

Thanks! :cool:

Kind regards,
ramborolf

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Stachu100 do the upgrade for you: he replace the PPC CPU with a proper 330MHz unit and do the adjustment.

ramborolf

Custom User Title
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Asdal
Stachu100 do the upgrade for you: he replace the PPC CPU with a proper 330MHz unit and do the adjustment.

Im concidering it... but its not that important with a boosted ppc.. I just want to know my limitiations on my current system first of all...

Later on if its possible i cant resist to spend even more money and do that upgrade..

Regards, Aksel

Buleste

AmiBayer
Country
Staffordshire Moorlands
The BPPC's running at over 300 usually have a new PPC chip that allows it to run over 300mhz. I know I've overclocked mine and you can hit some serious problems if you go over 300 mhz.

ramborolf

Custom User Title
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Asdal
The BPPC's running at over 300 usually have a new PPC chip that allows it to run over 300mhz. I know I've overclocked mine and you can hit some serious problems if you go over 300 mhz.

Thanks! You confirmed my :unsure:....

I will keep it under 300 for sure..

i will post some images of the process during the night just for showoff.. :roll:
Regards, Aksel..

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Hi @ramborolf,

You can try to overclock your PPC processor, but it just depend on your hardware how much you can go.
What I'm doing is just unsoldering original PPC processor and solder MPC603RRX300LC.
This processor is the MC version (final mask) and rated to work @300MHz.
So the overclocking I'm doing is just 10% from 300MHz to 330MHz.

It could go even to 360MHz (few users decided to try this after my upgrade and card are working stable with good cooling and perfect power supply), but I do not recommend this.

ramborolf

Custom User Title
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Asdal
Hi..

I have always wanted to play with these kind of things on the amiga-side.. Couldnt affort stuff like this when i was a kid... :drool:
The fastest i went was 030/50... so a 060/66 for me now is :woot:

Im not after having the worlds fastest a1200.. Im after having a stable but aswell very fast miggy... The biggest upgrade for me is actually putting a 060 instead of 040.. But then i have a ppc too.. so why not have some fun :)
Im interested in doing an upgrade, but for now i think 266mhz is enugh if it runs stable.. Have just booted it once without bvision attached.. will test more extensivly later.. boot os4 and MoS..

As i have understood the 200mhz cpu will work fine @266... but what if i use 4.5 multiplier.. aprox 300mhz.. will i toast the card or will the computer just behave strange/hang etc... When increasing the bus speed f.example will demant faster ram, right? What about 5x? (im just thinking out loud and will not test these things... : )

Cooling, cooling, cooling.. thats what i think... and maybe some 50ns ram modules. :)

Thanks! (y)

btw: what does the upgrade cost including hardware, worktime and expedition? just in case.. :whistle:

Regards
Aksel

Hi @ramborolf,

You can try to overclock your PPC processor, but it just depend on your hardware how much you can go.
What I'm doing is just unsoldering original PPC processor and solder MPC603RRX300LC.
This processor is the MC version (final mask) and rated to work @300MHz.
So the overclocking I'm doing is just 10% from 300MHz to 330MHz.

It could go even to 360MHz (few users decided to try this after my upgrade and card are working stable with good cooling and perfect power supply), but I do not recommend this.

Top Bottom