Password managers

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Do any of you use password managers? And which would you recommend? I've basically become fed up with needed to dig out my old filofax I used to store passwords every time a site or application forgets the automatic login.

The manager needs to be able to auto insert login for browser websites, and also applications such as Origin (which forgets it every time it loads), and also be cross platform so I can use it to remember and log into sites across PCs, laptops and android devices. It would also be useful to have Digital Legacy support, but that isn't a deal breaker. I'm not interested in them needed to store other auto form filling data or payment details.

So far most sites are recommending Last Pass, Dashlane 3, Sticky Password and 1Password.

Draven

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
I would recommend LastPass, from personal experience.
It lets you access your passwords from anywhere as it is web based.
If you buy the premium version, you get the smartphone version added, which is really convenient for browsing all your fave forums etc and it will fill in the passwords for you!
We use it for all our techs in the IT department, so we can share the multiple passwords between us, and we don't have to worry if one of the other techs changed it as it automatically updates
IT also has form filling abilities, and notes that you can keep secure

If you want something that resides locally on your machine, keepass is a good alternative

Cheers

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Thanks for the information.

I actually read a lot more on the available managers and already went with LastPass just after posting the original post above.

It automatically detected every account I had saved in my browser cookies, copied the details over to it's own database, so everything I use daily is now already added to LastPass without me needed to enter a single thing manually.

I even tested it with a couple of sites, which I've had a lot of trouble manually entering the passwords I know are correct to log in, and LastPass logged in without any problems.

I've also discovered that it actually does support local Windows application passwords (for things like Adobe CC, Steam and Origin) using it's sister application "LastPass for Applications". You just need a Premium account to use it and at only $12 a year to access that and add mobile support it was a no brainer really.

So, very happy with it so far. Now to set it up on my Android devices and other PCs.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I also give two thumbs up for LastPass. I've been using it for years. LastPass also does all the encryption and decryption of your password vault on your local device. It's just a safer way of doing things.

If you are looking for two factor authentication that works great with LastPass then you should look at the YubiKey. It's a USB device that is detected as a keyboard. It's a one time purchase of the device but you need LastPass Premium, which you already have. You can use your phone as your second form of authentication but I like the YubiKey.

Heather

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
LastPass for me as well man.
I'm using it from the old days when it was XMarks for Firefox sync.
Now it's really awesome and cross device.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
And they still have the best security practices out of every password manager I've used. It's not that they got hacked, it's that the hackers would have an extremely difficult time decrypting the information they obtained. :)

Heather

Last edited:

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
I'm using this one since ~1999 and it hasn't been hacked in history:

kyaeMOV.png

:D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've not heard of Whisper. Is it quite old? As in not updated in a long time? The UI in your screenshot looks very dated.

Also does it run locally and contain all the passwords within a data file? I see password.wsp at the top. Is that the file containing the passwords? This in itself makes it insecure if anyone managed to use malware to gain access to your files. It would also mean to use it on another system you would need to copy the data file over, and then updated passwords would not auto update over different devices.

I'm liking LastPass because it is web based and you just log into it to access your passwords from anywhere. That might sound less secure but they are hashed.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Yeah, just as the screen says, it's from 2004 and it's as classic as it can be. The passwords file is password-protected itself and there wasn't any malware on my Windows PC since I bought my first one in 1998 ;)

EDIT: except the malware I used for fun myself to control other people's computah back in the good old IRC on W95 days, Prosiak client + server combo FTW! :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom