Patches for a stable OS 3.1 AGA setup?

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Hey guys, in response to Arnljot's new guide, I'd like to take the advice of AGA 3.1 users here to make a guide for a stable OS 3.1 AGA setup with good looks, responsive speeds, etc. Bear in mind, my 1200 has no FAST ram yet, so I can only do patches for 2mb chip only machines

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
have one pre-installed option i liked except..

have one pre-installed option i liked except..

http://classicwb.abime.net/

This was tested on a Amiga 1200 and is usuable. (working well)

I have not enough experience with modern amiga os 3.1 to reproduce this by hand..

Tested with and without turbo card in the past.

Still don't like the looks of it :mad: The default colors are really (n)

Talon

Country
Germany
Region
S-H
I also use Classic WB to suit up my Workbench on an A1200 without extra ram.
Works like a charm, also has lots of useful programs that come with it.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
What about newicons46.lha on aminet? But anyways I'm more looking for speed and stability patches for 3.1, as both my 3000 and 1200 use it. I have used 3.9, but its useless on a 3000 without an RTG (looks crappy) and without FAST ram on a 1200, its rather slow. I of course knwo of BoingBag, but they are for 3.9 once again.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
Have you tried MCP?

Start with that as it replaces loads of other patches that might otherwise be needed, then add others to fill in whatever "gaps" you feel are left when you know what you're doing. I don't know how well it performs in only ChipRAM though.

NewIcons won't make things go faster - just prettier.

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
I wouldn't install very much at all with a 2mb only machine, as thats very little for apps and games anyway without having chip ram eating but pretty icons and utilities.

The one thing I would recommend and I use on my 1200 is Toolsdaemon - it lets you add new menu options to the existing workbench menu so you can start any software you want quickly without rooting through drawers to get to it, and doesn't clutter up the workbench screen.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
playgeneration has a good point vs 2MB of chip memory only.

But patching Amiga OS 3.1 isn't just about installing more stuff to either go faster or look prettier.

It should also be about replacing libraries, devices, handlers and commands to remove bugs or improve features.

This can and should be done if not for it's usefullness, then for it's technical purity :)

So what I reccomend you read up on dreamcast if you undertake writing up an article like this are the sources that already exist on the topics:

Recent Community Boing Bag 3 effort at amiga.org by Gulliver and Minuous
Amigaworld.de OS3.1 download page
"Official" site of bb3
Amikit OS3.9 patches

Most of this is OS3.9 stuff, but I expect that a fair amount of this could be transplanted to OS3.1

The trick is to sort out what is actually usefull for OS3.1

Stand on the sholders of gigants, it's the way the community grows. Just remember to credit them.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Most 3.9 patches/add-ons are for accelerated Amigas. No use for a "FAST RAM-less" A1200.

I've installed OS3.9 on mine A2000 with a GVP 030 /50MHz + 8Mb Fast. Is fast enough and very stable. BTW: ECS Denise on a 6.0 motherboard. 8)

Top Bottom