Paypal gift payments.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
Dunno if this is the proper part of the forums to post this.

I have noticed last few trasactions, when accepting paypal gift for low value goods.

Paypal excludes the address of the buyer.

Just worth keeping in mind when buying something.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@bazzaq

Actaully m8, this is a good discussion point, there has been some difficulties with members that use the "gift" feature so it could be a good point to open up a discussion on this so that members can see the pro's and cons of using this method.

=)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@Zeets

IIRC Kinnie did a good speel on this.

I'll have to search for his thread :help:

Dave G :cool:

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
I think its a nice feature for low value items when trying to shave a £1 or so off a deal.

Somebody also paid me recently and paid the fee at thier end. I did not know that could be done. I usually end up taking the hit.

Obviously there is no protection for buyer when paying with gift, so maybe over £30 to somebody who is new to the board might not be recommended.

I noticed in the recycle section it says that you must use recorded postage, also i would think another way to cut down on costs might be to allow non recorded postage in same country as its free stuff anyway?? maybe this should be another topic?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
As that link requires me to log in again, even though I am clearly already logged in, I have found it myself.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=3

I wonder when that post was last edited.

It looks like I will not be making any offers through the Recycle Bin in future.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I noticed in the recycle section it says that you must use recorded postage, ...

Quote "Any items offered in here are to be shipped by a verifiable method requiring a signature at the other end, for example, Recorded / Special Delivery, ParcelForce, Fedex, UPS, DHL etc.". Unquote.

I've never sent any of my recycled gear by recorded delivery. I only use 'proof of posting' receipt wherever possible to keep the cost down.

I guess that rule skipped me by also :shhh:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thats correct Gift payments do not show an address but you can add a 'Message' for the recipient, you could put your address there.

I gift 99% of the time as if you have a paypal balance, which I do most of the time from sales its free for both parties. However if you are using a credit/debit card and send a gift then a fee is involved, as the sender/payee you can choose to pay the fee or pass the fee onto the seller, I've always paid that fee.

The only time I havent gifted was for buying a mid value item off of a seller with '0' feedback.

You're right in saying that if you sent a gift you will not be covered for buyer protection however since we're trading through a forum I bet paypal wouldn't pay out in any case.

We can try to make it as free as possible to sell, but in some cases there will be a fee somewhere and I guess its between the seller/buyer to work out who pays the fee, when I've sold larger items I've left it up to the buyer to decide if they gift or not and if I have to pay a fee, sobeit.

My 2 cents on the matter.

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
As that link requires me to log in again, even though I am clearly already logged in, I have found it myself.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=3

I wonder when that post was last edited.

It looks like I will not be making any offers through the Recycle Bin in future.

at the time this guidline was made it was how long ago? if I am not mistaken my friend you helped with the original draftings - although maybe not that bit lol...

To be honest the way I inturpret the above is all you need is a receipt of confirmed postage.

you can get this (at no cost) on anything you post first or second class..

either the recipt is signed / stamped or they print one out for you.

The idea behind it was to protect the sender and the sendee... at the end of the day, as long as them two are happy with whats agreed in PM or on thread, then thats what matters.

after all, there would be absolutely no point sending a £2 and lumping on £3 postage.... I think the postal companies make more than enough money.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Exactly. And remember, only the site rules are set in stone. All such posts within the forum are only ever there as guidelines to try and help members, and as long as both members involved in a transaction are happy with the method of shipping, then so are the staff.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@Zeets

IIRC Kinnie did a good speel on this.

I'll have to search for his thread :help:

Here Dave, in the News Section.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=1912

This thread discussion came to light this morning when bazzaq requested my Address for our Graphic card business. I was of the opinion that as a PayPal member with a registered Address with them (not everyone does), he would get the relevant info via notification of Gift Payment to him' So I didn't bother via PM on AmiBay when conlcuding our business. :|

However, I'm pretty sure some time ago, these gift payments via PayPal actually forwarded my registered address details automatically. There is every chance PayPal have now revised their rules, as indeed they do from time to time.

Best Wishes all.

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I also seem to member addressing being included in gift payments originally. Also, gift payments used to be more restricted and could only be used if both people were located in the same country.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Let's try and make this simple.

The problem is the gift option; if something you have paid for is DOA or smashed into bits inside the parcel, you have zero chance of a claim and a refund from PayPal as you gave the cash as a gift. How many people actually try to take gifts back at a later date....??

Also, if a transaction is out into dispute on AmiBay, it severely limits how much help we can actually be to you, as a refund is most unlikely.

It's the buyer's risk to pay by PayPal gift to avoid the charges, but the risks of a dead or damaged item might outweigh the small saving made. For a serious wedge of dosh I would avoid the gift option so that a refund can be claimed if things head South.

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
To summarise.

Paypal Gift Payment = No payment fees, so cheaper. But no payment protection and limited support possible from Amibay to help resolve a disputed transaction.

Fee based Paypal Payment
= Paypal fees, so additional charges. But Buyer Payment Protection is normally included from Paypal, and more support can be offered from Amibay to help resolve a disputed transaction.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I also seem to member addressing being included in gift payments originally. Also, gift payments used to be more restricted and could only be used if both people were located in the same country.

Not so m8. I bought an M-Tec 1230 from Foul who is in France. I made a Gift payment & according to the PayPal payment details, he got the whole amount via Gift. ;)

Gift payments can only be made if you have the funds in your PayPal account. If it's short & you are transfering part of the payment from your registered bank account with PayPal, they charge a fee.
Registered bank Accounts with PayPal are required so you can transfer cash from your PayPal account into your bank.

I don't know the exact reasons with Zetr0 recently, but I ended up with an eCheque from PayPal, which cleared about 10 days after the eCheque notification arrived in my InBox. Perhaps Zeets can elaborate on this?

Merlin is exactly right above as I posted here some time ago.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=1912

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
eCheques are issued as payment if the buyer doesn't have a currently valid backup payment source currently set in their paypal account and they don't have the funds in the account.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
yeah frikin eCheque!!

I was 38 pence short in my paypal funds and as paypal had NOT charged my new creditcard the amounts for verification

I had a choice pay £1.86 + 38p to pay pal via debit card or use an echeque (first time Ii ever used one) - it was only after completing it it said 10days!!!!!

take the P to the I to the double ending S!!!!

wont do that again... it would of been quicker to do a bank funds transfer !!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
It would have been quicker to walk to Cornwall and hand him the money :D

Actually this reminds me, I had funds in my Paypal Account to pay for the HxC FDD emulator I bought recently.

If I paid in £ there was no fee (gift) but when I tried to pay in Euro's there was a fee?

Weird eh?

Steve.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Currency conversion fees. Paypal stores money in your account in as many different currencies as you want, and won't charge a fee only if you have enough funds available in that currency.

For example, my account currently has money in Pounds, Euros and US Dollars, and shows a total of them all combined, but if I buy something from either currency region then it will take the money from that fund before then using others.

Top Bottom