Hi all.... Just a quick question....

Iv got my pc to amiga linked up thro null cable the settings are as follows

Baud rate: 19.200
Input buffer size: 4.096
Handshaking: RTS/CTS
Parity: None
Bits/Char: 8
Stop Bits: 1

But this is taking a very long time to trancfer data' Any tip for speeding it up a little? I know im not gonna get MEGGA Speeds but a bit quicker would be nice :)

Cheers guys (y)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It has been a while since I used a null modem cable to transfer stuff, but I thin 19,200 is the best rate you will get. It is a slow process via serial transfer.

Have you thought about using a CF card adapter in the PCMCIA slot (if it is an A1200)? Or just take the HDD out of the Amiga and connect it directly to the PC using WinUAE to copy to it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Pending on the Amiga model, you have two options to speed the things a little:

- Replace the serial.device software for the baudbandit (Aminet) if the Amiga is a 68000 CPU one;

- Replace the serial.device software for the new8n1.device (Aminet) if it have a better CPU.

In both cases you can achieve 33.600kbps without replacing the hardware using a faster serial port in the Amiga: Whippet PCMCIA (A600/1200) or a clockport serial replacement (PortJR or other) or a Zorro-based serial port card.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
If you get a wee network card for your Amiga you can use Amiga Forever from your PC to "browse" your amiga to get stuff copied across. I used to do it that way and it worked a treat but you need a Network Card.

Cheers

J

Zoltar

Country
Scotland
Region
Tayside
What Amiga is it you're using? If your Workbench version has CrossDOS then it's easy just to use DD PC formatted floppy. Assuming that the file will fit on it, you get around 720kb or so IIRC. I used to use a link cable I made with a surplus Parallel lead using instructions off of Aminet. Together with a wee bit of software that you run on both machines you can browse the PC's drives and transfer stuff over at a decent rate. It worked pretty well for me.

SJ

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
Be careful with the parallel port if you go that way - PCs had a tendency to not implement them fully/correctly, whereas the Amiga has a full Centronics bi-directional 8-bit wide interface with control lines and power. Don't connect the wrong lines!

I used a homemade Parnet cable between two Amigas, great fun dragging icons about between machines, "direct" access to and browsing of the remote resources, and pretty reliable, offering 10KB/sec or more transfers - i.e. 80,000+ baud equivalent, no sweat.

There are truly fast serial interfaces available too, 115kbps or more is achievable with some setups.

Network cards do look to be a very good solution (PCMCIA for A1200/A600, proper cards for big boxes), megabits/sec ought to be possible there.

Top Bottom