PC Components - Online Store Recommendations?

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region
Hi guys,

I know that a lot of you here are very in with the latest commodity hardware as well as the retro scene so I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for online stores?

I usually just travel myself to the Scan warehouse at Middlebrook Retail Park (I live in Lancashire), but wouldn't mind seeing if I could beat the E6500 Pentium Dual Core which is £57 there at Scan.

So far that's the best I've seen taking delivery into account.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I use CCL quite a lot :

http://www.cclonline.com/

Im not sure if they stock that chip but Ive found they have decent prices :) I go into their showroom as I live locally but you can order online aswell.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Sometimes price isn't everything, the price you have there is good and if their aftersales service is good too then why shop around to save a fiver?

If you have to send it back to www??? who was cheaper and they take a week to swap it and charge you postage then you have saved nothing.

I buy components regularly (I have a computer service business) and I will pay a pound or two more for peace of mind.

Gary

Edit:\ read this thread and then go buy from a local trusted seller. https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4351 now do you see why cheap isn't always good???
and btw scan is a good trusted seller, I have bought from them myself.

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I often use Novatech as they have one of their warehouses near Portsmouth, so it isn't far to collect items I've ordered. They have other stores around the country and great customer service.

Others I order from regularly include ebuyer, big pockets, and SVP.

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region
Thanks for the replies - Tajmaster, Harrison, AndyLandy and JuvUK for those shops. I've bookmarked the ones I didn't know about already.

@imnogeek

I get what you're saying. I'm not as much as a cheapskate as my post may have made out but my mindset was more along the lines of "finding some good stores online that I may use because all these years I have been relying on Scan out of convenience", rather than just trying to save the odd fiver.

Edit:\ read this thread and then go buy from a local trusted seller. https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4351 now do you see why cheap isn't always good???
and btw scan is a good trusted seller, I have bought from them myself.
Shame about the pricing issue there.

I've actually bought from Scan quite a lot, and they have their fair share of problems. Though I guess this is expected of any seller you use frequently. It seems that Scan are one of the cheapest around after all!

Anyway, I ended up buying this item on eBay in the end.

Bit cheaper than the Pentium but the main thing of note is the cache is 4mb instead of 2mb. I often hear cache is important just not sure when it comes to real world tests.

I'm not even sure exactly what the big difference between Pentium Dual Cores and Core 2 Duo CPUs is tbh, besides having the bigger caches.

There is quite a big difference in price when bought new.

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
I use CCL quite a lot :

http://www.cclonline.com/

Im not sure if they stock that chip but Ive found they have decent prices :) I go into their showroom as I live locally but you can order online aswell.

I have used CCL once before, and got good service and price on the item. However, you have reminded me that I had one major issue with them that I never chased up. I shall do that now. For the moment, because of this issue, I would strongly NOT recommend them.

PhilipMcD

Country
Country
Region
Region
Thanks for that Kinny,

Can't believe I forgot about them actually; my brother used to use them all the time awhile back!

@ Jumping Anaconda

Regarding CCL, you wrote:

For the moment, because of this issue, I would strongly NOT recommend them.

Okay, now I'm curious. I won't be using them at the moment anyway but I'll be awaiting this thread on standby if/when you reveal what's going on.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I've used Novatech, Ebuyer, Pricelover and CCL a few times without any major issues :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Oh, one word of advice though. For the most part, Ebuyer are great, but never buy Ebuyer "Value RAM" -- It's rubbish!

Top Bottom