PC CPU temps random

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've been getting some random issues with my i7 PC CPU temperatures. It has always idled at around 30 degrees and under load in a game around 55 max.

However over the past couple of months even just after booting up the temps were all over the place. one minute idling in the 30's, then suddenly shooting up into the 60's and 70's. Playing a game it would my in the 60's and 70's sometimes. Even leaving the system idling, when the screens turned off and it was just sitting there the temps would all be in the 60's.

This week I finally had time to take the PC apart and take a look. I had a spare tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste so thought it a good idea to give that a try first. On removing the fan and heatsink I instantly discovered the problem. The Heatsink mounting bracket had cracked right through on one side where the mounting screw fitted so the heatsink couldn't have been fully attached to the CPU.

I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2, as I do in all my systems, and not had this issue before. However a quick Google search and it seems to be a common fault with the mounting bracket for this cooler.

Luckily a while back the fan failed on this cooler and it was cheaper to just buy another whole cooler assembly than it was a new fan. I just replaced the fan on the existing heatsink with the one from the new package. This meant I still had a spare new heatsink and bracket so all I had to do was replace the broken mount, apply the AS5 and put it back together.

Good news is the temps are now back to normal and idles around 28-32 degrees. And with AS5 over time these temps might drop a bit further.

I had been considering upgrading the CPU cooler to a liquid cooled setup, but now I found the issue and didn't even have to spend anything to fix it I'm happy.

Just goes to show that some issues might be something you hadn't even considered. Never encountered a cooler mounting bracket cracking before. Anyone else had a similar issue?

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
Hi Harrison I have had it before with the original ac 7 after a while the plastic gets brittle and just does this, I think Steve had this with an old socket too.

Glad you sorted it and it wasn't more serious it could have been a dodgy sensor

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Be glad it was just the cooler bracket. I got a PC in to fix a while back and the mounting hole in the motherboard had failed. The guy had installed a huge "tower type" cooler mounted at 90° and the weight of the (vibrating) cooler managed to crack the PCB.

Bryce.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I did often wonder about the really big coolers and their weight. Did that cooler have a rear mounting bracket behind the motherboard? It is quite mad when you think about it that all that is used to hold the lot in place are 4 holes in the motherboard.

I suppose that is one good thing to consider using water cooling because the actual CPU blocks are quite small and don't weigh much.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
No, it was one of the early ones that didn't have a plate on the bottom of the PCB. I also suspect that he over-tightened the screws when he was installing it. The cooler plus fan etc was exerting probably about 1.2Kg on the top screws. Add vibration to that and the PCB doesn't stand a chance. The CPU was still getting cooled, but obviously it had damaged tracks inside the (16 layer?) PCB and the computer stopped booting.

Bryce.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Close shave there mate.

I'm using the Corsair H series coolers on all my rigs these days and I wouldn't go back to anything else.

I used to have the AC coolers and they were very good at their job just a little cumbersome. I think it's time for the world to move on from giant Heatsinks and Air cooling :)

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Todays processors run a lot cooler than the days of single cores that disappated 240W of pure heat, so those huge coolers aren't really needed any more, you can get away with a lot less.

On a similar note: A young inexperienced modder/tuner once told me that he had added a massive copper/aluminium CPU heatsink with 4 fans to his rig because "He wanted to get his CPU to run below room temp!" :D I didn't even bother explaining to him why he won't ever achieve that with air cooling.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Just imagine how much cooler would our GPU's run with such a huge CPU-type heatsink:

Top Bottom