pcmcia gb limit

rs2klee

Country
U.K
Region
London
hi, anyone know the limit of a cf card in the pcmcia reader, i have a couple 4gig ones, just wanted to know if you can use more on the pcmcia reader just to store files onto eg get 8gb cf and partition 4x 2gig same goes for 16gb etc ?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I don't know if there is a limit, as some people use 8Gb CF as transfer cards.

But anything over 1Gb to this task is an overkill, from my point of view.

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
I have used an 8 gig Sandisk FAT formatted for storing mod files on no problem.

I plan to buy a 16 gigger for the exact same purpose and give it a try.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
With larger CF cards, do they need to be partitioned into 2GB parts?

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
I think it ultimately depends on the file system on the card.

When I used an 8 gb card, it was a single partition that was FAT formatted for compatibility between the Amiga and PC.

The Ami had no problem recognizing all 8 gigs of it.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
the Amiga FAT has a limmitation of 32GB I beleive -

Although as thgill has stated it does indeed come down to the format of the device -

so, if there was FAT32 support that should give you about 147GB, although this could just as easily be given an SFS format - 500GB+ support - arguably.

The PCMCIA port has an entry point address, this is determined by the OS as either memory (limmited to 4MB addressable) or as a fixed Disk or Device - thus either a mount point for HardDisk or a $address for the device (like surf squrriel or other SCSI)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Recognizing the 8GB partition is the easy part.

The Amiga's FFS file system only supports up to 4GB partitions, and a total HD size of 8GB. However that is only due to the built in Workbench File System. If you try to format a larger HD over the 4GB limit you are in danger of losing data and the system will start to wrap the data back onto the start of the HD past the 4GB point. http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Installing_a_large_Harddrive_(4GB_or_larger)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
to get past the original limmitations of FFS and scsi.device (the latter being the 8GB drive limmitation and the former being the max 4GB partition) you need to replace the SCSI.device for a better one, like say the one that comes with IDEFix97 and also download SFS from Aminet.

the instructions are easy to follow, just go slowly and methodically and you can get 500GB+ support on the A1200 native IDE device - I believe that this can also be done via a PCMCIA harddisk too.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Ah, but remember guys, that is only if you are formatted a CF card as an Amiga HDD and normally for internal IDE connection.

For file transfer, connected to the PCMCIA port, and using FAT it's not going to be an issue.

BTW, can and does anyone use a CF card in the PCMCIA port, formatted as an Amiga disk so it acts like a removable HDD?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
My friend Zetr0, IIRC the new SCSI patch permits any HD sized up to 4Tb, but the file systems available will only use up to 128Gib (real, digital, 128 Gigabytes).

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Ah, but remember guys, that is only if you are formatted a CF card as an Amiga HDD and normally for internal IDE connection.

For file transfer, connected to the PCMCIA port, and using FAT it's not going to be an issue.

BTW, can and does anyone use a CF card in the PCMCIA port, formatted as an Amiga disk so it acts like a removable HDD?

Yes, you can.

It's only a matter of modifying the cf0 mounter list (the text archive attached to the icon) and change the file system.

Top Bottom