pcmcia Modem

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey guys I found a Rockwell 560LT 56k Modem card. It has a weird connection on one end, do you have to fit some wireless thing here? Or does it work without anything plugged into that part.

Never seen one of these or used one before. Can this be used with an Amiga? Just wondered as I saw it sitting in a drawer. I want to get one working just so I can wget some files.

Thanks for any info.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Jimbo,

I think that takes some kind of Dongle which has an RJ45 Network port on it, I'm not sure if that will work with the Amiga. Look out for a Netgear MA401 WiFi card, I have a couple of those that I use on my Amiga's and they were quite easy to setup with MiamiDX and the Prism2 Driver.

Head over to ebay, and do a search ;)

Oh, just re-read I though that was a network card, if its a Modem, maybe it should have some kind of lead to connect to a telephone socket - I think even if that could work with an Amiga you'd be better off with a proper network card, LAN or WiFi.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Thanks again Steve, I will head over and try to find a Netgear MA401.

Cheers (y)

Hi Jimbo,

I think that takes some kind of Dongle which has an RJ45 Network port on it, I'm not sure if that will work with the Amiga. Look out for a Netgear MA401 WiFi card, I have a couple of those that I use on my Amiga's and they were quite easy to setup with MiamiDX and the Prism2 Driver.

Head over to ebay, and do a search ;)

Oh, just re-read I though that was a network card, if its a Modem, maybe it should have some kind of lead to connect to a telephone socket - I think even if that could work with an Amiga you'd be better off with a proper network card, LAN or WiFi.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
For that card to be any use at all, you'd need the original dongle. Since PCMCIA cards are too thin to put modem or network ports on, manufacturers supplied them with a breakout cable. I've got a couple of Ethernet cards that are like that.

But as Steve points out, you can't go far wrong with an MA401.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Thanks guys, cant find many of them on fleabay. Ones I have found are asking stupid money. Any other options that are known working?

Thanks

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Orinoco Bronze, Silver and Gold versions are equivalents to the MA401, as they use the same prysm2 chipset and work flawless on the Amiga.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Thanks guys, cant find many of them on fleabay. Ones I have found are asking stupid money. Any other options that are known working?

Thanks

Hi Jimbo1979

I'm just learning about network setups on an Amiga and I'm using a Belkin F5D6020 in my A1200. I also have a Netgear MA401 but haven't managed to get it going yet using the same Genesis TCP settings for Prism2.device.

Cheers,
Ed.

Top Bottom