PCMCIA to 44 Pin IDE Adapter - Amiga compatible?

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Has anyone used a PCMCIA to 44 pin IDE adapter like this one:

http://www.darkwire.com.au/html/pcmcia_to_44_pin_ide_adapter.html

Looking at the card, I can't tell if its a 16 bit or 32 bit card.
If it was 16 bit, that would be a great way to get some cheap, massive external storage on the Amiga for moving files around. 40 gigs of Mods, ahoy!

Attachments

• PCMCIA_to_IDE_44.jpg
    PCMCIA_to_IDE_44.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 4

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@thgill

I would say its realtively compatible and such a that price its worth the risk =)

I believe that this device is a moded CF adapter as the pins are the same - just a different header.

To get larger disk sizes to work with your Amiga A1200 you would need to update the scsi.device (either by rom or setpatch) and use a 64bit aware File System like SmartFileSystem (SFS), PFS2/3 and Patched FFS

All these are available from Aminet.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
It looks 16 as there is not a nobly strip on the connector

thgill

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
@thgill

I would say its realtively compatible and such a that price its worth the risk =)

I believe that this device is a moded CF adapter as the pins are the same - just a different header.

To get larger disk sizes to work with your Amiga A1200 you would need to update the scsi.device (either by rom or setpatch) and use a 64bit aware File System like SmartFileSystem (SFS), PFS2/3 and Patched FFS

All these are available from Aminet.

I was thinking more along the lines of using a FAT formatted disk to keep easy compatibility with other machines.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@thgill

sounds like a good idea, just be advised that "FAT" has filename limitations and will truncate long-filenames and is limmited to a certain number of files in a directory (I forget the number now)

I will have to check the FAT95 thats availble but its quite likely going be limmited in size of device that can be setup on it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The FAT95 driver can cope with FAT32 long file names and have the same limitations as FAT32 in windows (a file cannot have more than 4Gb in size).

If this adaptor is good to go, I think we found another holy grail for Amiga machines! Laptop HD is cheaper than any CF, even HD 4~10x bigger.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Maybe an Aussie Amibay chap can buy this device to test?

It seems very cheap on Australia!

thgill

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
I think I am going to go ahead and order one later this week.

Will report back the (hopefully) good news.

I have bunches of laptop drives to test with it.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.
Just to say i have one of these device.
Works great on my latop pc but not on my A1200. I have compactflash.device and FAT95 installed though.
If you have more clue of how it can be made to work on amiga, i will give it one more try.

Top Bottom