Philips CDi FMV to CD32 adapter "crazy thought"

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
Ok so I ordered the FMV module for my recently acquired Philips CDi (450). Got it on ebay.
Since I also own a couple of CD32:s (without FMV module because those suckers are rare and expensive) I thought that maaaaaybe someone has already explored this crazy idea. An adapter / interface for using the CDi FMV module in a CD32 ;-)
I've see a bunch of adapters that I thought Id never see so who knows, right?....
AFAIK both use a similar harware MPEG1 decoder so that part shouldn be biggest issue?
I know ppl like Ian Steadman / Kipper2k have mapped out the custom CD32 interface fairly well and the Philips interface should be better documented.

Thoughts?
Is it:
1. Completely impossible
2. Doable but not economically feasible
3. Easy peasy ;-)
4. Other...

Last edited by a moderator:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
the problem is the hardware in the fmv module doesent have to be similar,it has to be exactly the same as far as i know for it to work.

to make an adaptor isnt hard,pinout can be different thats the whole point of the adaptor.

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
Thats where custom libs and patches come into the picture. ;-)
Cant really run a 060 Amiga without 060 library and cyberpatcher-esque hacks ;-)

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i dont think it would be that easy...dont compare libs for 060 to a fmv module.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Waste of time, only 1 game uses it for an intro and there are better ways to watch movies in 2015 :)

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
Of course this could never ever make sense economically or in any other logical sense. But crazy hacks done on obsolete hardware are never driven by logic. ;-)
Its more like... you do it to prove it *can* be done. Not that Im asking anyone to actually take their time and effort to make this happen. Its an idea to be dissected.
Personally I love crazy hacks.
This whole nostalgia thing is about passion...
There's a lot about our hobbies that falls apart if start digging into it ;-)

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
lets put it this way,and ill enhance steves comment even further.

for the handful of units that will be made just for a "maybe itll work" it would most likely cost so much for development and engineering to make it possible you may as well have gone out and got the fmv module for the cd32 than making one from another system to fit and work on the cd32 for the less than handful of software titles that it uses...

passion is one thing,insanity in cost to make, just to say it can be done is another:)

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
I hear you both.. look at my original post. The answer would simply be "2; doable but not in a sane way"
But we are all speculating here. Id still love to hear more from someone like kipper2k etc.. a little more concrete about the technical challanges involved rather than just arriving at the conclusion thats its not worth it. I kind of knew that already ;-)

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Pretty much anything is possible if you throw enough engineering and money at it.

And your original reasoning is 'because FMV are expensive' ;)

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
Pretty much anything is possible if you throw enough engineering and money at it.

And your original reasoning is 'because FMV are expensive' ;)
And "rare" is a problem. Cant buy stuff no one is selling. ;-)
Still... although probably very slim, there IS a chance that it *could* be done faaaairly easily. In that case maybe it would be worth it.
If everyone who knows what they are talking about agrees this is crazy and not practically doable then Ill take that answer with me, be happy that I learned something and then drop the whole idea ;-)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Anything can be done , a Pentium 3 could fit on an A500 as a bridge board and yes it is electrically possible but practically ? thats something else. However , yes it could be done but.

Software , libraries and possibly logic to make both talk to each other its a big task or is it?. first off are all the parts and components identical ? i suspect not. but if not whats different and why?

My school teacher once said anything can be made to fit anything else ....its just a matter of the interface. However this was 1983 :) and things were simpler then, it was mostly black and white.

Can anything fit anything else, yes of course.

I'm currently making an IEEE to SD card reader , i might have a go at IDE next

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I guess someone who 'knows what they are talking about' would need schematics to engineer something, I honestly can't see it being a simple job.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i doubt it would be easy or worthwhile pursuing to be honest

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i had a quick look at the schematics,there two completely different modules interfacing it to the cd32 would be very expensive at best.

eXeler0

Country
Sweden
Region
Göteborg
@roy_bates Yes Philips released at least 2 versions. The one I ordered is for the 450 model, (CDI450, CDI210, CDI220) and the other one is for the rest of them I guess.
This one (model 22ER9956) is probably the cheaper of the two.
But really, you wouldn't do an interface for both, just the cheaper or readily available one.

Top Bottom