Phones & networks, O2 in particular

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
What's peoples opinions on UK phone networks these days? I've been on O2 for ages and tbh find it a terrible service but I can't decide weather it's O2 or my phone. I've had a Sony Xperia U for two years, i find it hard to get any internet signal on it at all anywhere, connecting to calls can be troublesome and then dodgy lines when I do get through sometimes. It's hard to get a signal in the back rooms of my house but not in the front rooms, would another network help?

Also i'm considering getting a new phone, but have no idea what to get really. The only thing for sure is I do not want a Windows phone, as the work I do requires an app to track my position in the country, and there is no Windows version of it just iOS and Android. I wouldn't mind a iphone 5S but the price is putting me right off, i've almost had it with Android but again it could be my current phone which is giving me ill feeling towards it.

Give me some opinions please, i'm especially interested in what other networks are like as o2 just seems overpriced on it's deals.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I recently signed up for 4g with EE, lucky if I get 1g most of the time and even then the internet is painfully slow. Must admit, I can make phone calls ok though lol.

I got the Galaxy S5, I'm pleased with it but I'm used to Andriod and never used the others, I was HTC before this (Desire HD) I only upgraded because I dropped the Desire and broke the screen.

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I used to have a blackberry pearl a few years ago, then the blackberry outtage in oct 2012 for 3 days... and that represented the end of my connections with blackberry (looks like the company has gone into decline - no major loss there)

Since Dec 2012 I've had an iphone 5 and never looked back, android phones are ok as a cheaper alternative i guess.

Edit: have been with orange since, hmmm 1999....2013 I got merged onto EE who lack the courtesy and ability to answer the enquiries as quiclky as orange, but they're sort of ok. Coverage and 4g with EE is good where I live.

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
I've been on vodafone for years and its pretty poor , very slow data - broken calls etc.

funny thing is my pals has the same phone on three and its miles better....much quicker downloads and stronger signal.

but as always , it depends where you live.

iPhones all the way , tried Android 3 times now - not my thing, blackkberry and Symbian i didn't like either
giffgaff ok for basic use , don't expect someone to call if you have a problem.

Last edited:

bagpuss22

Country
United Kingdom
Region
East Sussex
I have 2 (Me and Wife) iPhone 6+ on O2 and I find the service OK. 4G is good and coverage here is not too bad.
If you have an O2 phone, get them to unlock it (O2 do it free) and try another sim to see if it is the phone. Also
you could try someone like Giffgaff who use the same network.

Russ

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
I'm with o2 and have been for the last 6 years with iPhone 3gs and I use to find some back spots especially with internet, just before xmas I decided to phone them up got new iphone 4g contract as they where doing double data offer, anyway I've so far found it to be a great improvement and getting internet at what was those black spots before :blink:

NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
I'm with O2 (using a Nexus 5), as are most people I know locally, and I've never used better. Previously, I've tried Vodafone, Orange, and Three, and found them all to be incredibly bad, both in coverage and level of service.

This sort of thing probably varies by region a fair bit, as I know people further afield who swear by Three and so on.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I've just rejoined O2 after being with EE for 2 years. I was with O2 pay as you go for about 10 years and then i went contract with T-Mobile, they then became EE and i was moved over to them onto a 4G package. For two years i had awful service, i couldn't make or receive calls for 3 months, this turned out to be a fault with the iPhone 5 i had but EE billed for me the repair despite it being in warranty. When i called customer service to query the charge it took 5 different redirects to finally talk to someone who eventually refunded the charge from my bill but no apologies were made.

My original T-Mobile contract had unlimited 3G data but when i was moved over to EE i was given a 512Mb 4G limit which i usually ended up using within the first two weeks and then they wanted £7.99 for an additional 1Gb which expired in 7 days.

When i came to the last month of my contract i tried to get them to unlock my iPhone so i could sell it on or use it on another network. They charged me for the unlock and after 2 weeks it had still not been unlocked. After calling the customer services i was told they couldn't unlock it because it was not the original phone they provided me with the contract and that i had to prove it was replaced under warranty by Apple (despite them previously trying to bill me for the repair). I did all that was asked and after approximately 4 weeks since the original request the phone had still not been unlocked. In the end i refused to pay the bill until they either refunded the unlock charge or unlocked the phone. They chose to refund the cost.

Finally i had to give one months notice to say i wanted my contract to end. I called on the 15th December to give my notice and was told that was all, my contract would end one month later on the 15th January. I received a final bill and a pac code (i'd not requested this) a week later for £115 (my monthly cost is £35) which includes charges for giving notice, charges for the pac code request and a charge for terminating my contract early. Sufficed to say i have not paid this bill as of yet and am still arguing with them as i have never requested to terminate early.

As i said when i started i have now been back with O2 for about 2 weeks on a 5Gb 4G plan for £25 per month and they gave me the iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb for free. I've had no trouble with internet signal, no trouble with phone calls. The iPhone is very easy to get along with and just works.

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Sounds like it's all a bit hit and miss when it comes to what network you're on then.

As i said when i started i have now been back with O2 for about 2 weeks on a 5Gb 4G plan for £25 per month and they gave me the iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb for free. I've had no trouble with internet signal, no trouble with phone calls. The iPhone is very easy to get along with and just works.
How did you get that deal? that would do me nicely!

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I got calls from all of the major networks when my contract was coming to an end offering me deals. O2 were the last one to contact me and I told them what I'd been offered and he said he could beat it. He initially offered me the iPhone 6 for free but then it was out of stock so upgraded me to the 6 plus. I told him I didn't make too many calls but did use the Internet a lot so I ended up with 5gb data per month, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
I'm with 02 and have been for years when they were 121. I have a s5 and have a great service and fast internet

The misses was with orange and nothing but problems but shes now on 02 too with my old s2 and its fine now

NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
I'm with 02 and have been for years when they were 121.
I've got one relative who's been with them since they were BT Cellnet, back when you could go into one of their shops and pick your own mobile phone number when signing up for a contract.

If you told any of the younger generation that you used to get a choice from a block of about ten numbers or so (or a choice at all, at that), they probably wouldn't believe you! :LOL:

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Mine is Iphone 4S and vodefone. Funny enough, I havnt top up my fone since july when I topup on the net. I suppose to topup my fone every month £10.

Every time I text as seem like I have unlimted text and I havnt pay contract fone as it is pay as you go!

Top Bottom