Picasso 96 Virge - screen corruption

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
I've succeeded in getting an S3 Virge card recognised by my Mediator 1200 PCI(Radeon still not working, grrr!!), and have configured some compatible VESA standard modes in P96Mode. However, I'm having some issues once switching to those modes via 'test' or 'use' in the Screenmode prefs tool.

virgep96_mode.jpg

Both the test screen and workbench actually appear once you click the appropriate button, but then you get a patch of corruption where the countdown bar would be, and also on the workbench. There is also no mouse pointer at this point and I have no further input and have to reboot.

virgep96_test.jpg

virgep96.jpg

The same corruption occurs in 8/15/16 bit modes (I haven't used 24bit @ 1024x768 as the card only has a 2mb framebuffer).

Any ideas? Should I just bite the bullet and get a hot, energy sucking Voodoo?

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Ok, fiddled with the Mediator parameters a bit. Changed the following:

VirgeMem = 0 (use all video ram for P96)
VirgeInt = Yes (use interrupts for VBlank)

...to....

VirgeMem = 2 (use only 2mb [of 2mb!] for P96)
VirgeInt = No (No interrupts for VBlank)

virgep96_wb.jpg

Of course I cannot use my 10/100 network with this card (no video memory to use for DMA), so I'll either need to find out what's wrong with the Radeon, or pick up an old Voodoo 3 instead.

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
With those two edits I made the Virge works.... in a fashion... I've tried a few different settings in PVS tooltypes, but it's still not the most reliable configuration in the world.
I'm scared moving windows around and scrolling directories in case it crashes or the screen corrupts... it's clearly not as well a supported configuration as appears to be the case with the Voodoo (good job it was just a spare card I had in my box of bits!).

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Set the Virge as 1Mb and use the remaining Mb to cache the other cards you have, or upgrade your S3 to 4Mb.

Anyway, the Virge is only a supported card, not a serious contender as RTG graphics on Amiga.

For the Radeon: do the 3.3V mod as it will start to work. If you don't believe me, then dig a very old PC with only 5V PCI and try to hook your Radeon on it to see if you get video output on the BIOS screen.

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Got a cheap Voodoo 3 coming (£8 )... so we'll see what that's like.

Top Bottom