Picasso II Burnt Out Resistor caused by LCD Monitor?

sunnykwan

Country
Canada
Region
British Columbia
I was testing my A3000 & Picasso II Ver 1.4 setup with a LCD monitors....17in Samsung SyncMaster 171S, Dell 15in....when I noticed the screen output became unstable & jittery.

A resistor near the VGA input port looked burnt out. I could not tell its value but a helpful Amigan on the English Amiga Forum sent a large PIC of the Picasso showing the culprit resistor.

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

http://www.amiga-resistance.info/download_photos/picassoii_1_big.jpg

I could replace the bad resistor but I read some threads regarding problems with LCDs due to Picasso Pin 9 5V output.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40918

http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthread.php?p=590549#post590549

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36308&highlight=picasso+resistor

Could this have caused the burnt out resistor on my Picasso II?
If I replace the resistor and continue to use LCD would the problem return again? The threads implies leaving out or removing the Picasso resistor. Will the Picasso be killed if I continue to use LCD monitors?

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Oooops Posted in the wrong section, Sorry. Please Move to hardware problems Amiga.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
The Picasso does indeed output +5V on pin 9 and if you examine the cable on any good old CRT monitor, guess what??? The pin is missing.
To make matters worse this +5V is taken directly from the Zorro slot which can supply a fair bit of current, hence the burnout & worst case scenario damge to your LCD screen.

To use the Picasso II with an LCD simply remove this restor & leave the line unconnected.. As I did with my Picasso II many moons ago

TC :)

sunnykwan

Country
Canada
Region
British Columbia
Ok I already removed the burnt resistor but will not replace it. Why does the Picasso II have such a dangerous feature....to make smoke signals? Kind of scary since I was planning to upgrade my LCDs to share between PC/WinUAE & Amiga. Does the other Amiga Gfx cards have this problem?

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@sunny

It's simply down to age my friend, If you google around you will find that the original VGA spec has +5V available on Pin 9
And older CRT monitors make allownce for this via their missing pin 9.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Not just original, the modern spec... However, it should be current limited to 1mA so I can't see how that would burn out that resistor. It's a good job it took that out and not a trace on the Z2 bus though!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Not just original, the modern spec... However, it should be current limited to 1mA so I can't see how that would burn out that resistor. It's a good job it took that out and not a trace on the Z2 bus though!

I agree Nick, it's not current limited though, It's the first thing I stumbled across when I fitted a Picasso II in my A2000, the other side of the resistor goes to the ZII edge connector :nuts: (via a set of Relay contacts if memory serves)

psodas

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
“Devices that comply with the DDC host system standard typically provide supply voltage on pin #9 of the standard 15-pin VGA connector. The voltage is 5V ±5% and supplies a minimum of 300mA to a maximum of 1A.”

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
unfortunately on my A2000 my Zorro port would be able to thump out 35Amps!!!

yeah.... thats cooking somthing!!!!

to be honest... I think thats the 3rd time in my life I have seen a carbon based resistor blow as impressive as that.

sunnykwan

Country
Canada
Region
British Columbia
Well it seems the Picasso II does not like the Samsung SyncMaster 171s LCD I planned to use between A3000 and PC. The Picasso LCD pic is still unstable, flashes horizontal bands when I open Workbench draws. In contrast a Samsung SyncMaster 750S CRT display is clear, crisp and rock solid...so the signal is fine. I will use the CRT until a new LCD replacement is found.

Anyone suggest modern Picasso II friendly LCDs....brands & models?

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
It sounds very much like you need to configure the right monitor settings for your P2 card - it should work fine with pretty much anything

Rerun the setup, and change the monitor information to match your current monitor?

sunnykwan

Country
Canada
Region
British Columbia
I've recently upgraded to a Cybervision 64 4MB to support the A3000's Zorro 3...much faster than Zorro 2 PicassoII.

I am using Asus VW266H 25.5" 2ms 1920x1200 20000:1 DVI/HDMI LCD Monitor to share between a PC and A3000..it works great with CV64 and PicassoII.

I am thinking about selling the Picasso II which includes original disks, manual and box.

Top Bottom