Picasso II setup help (Fitzsteve!!)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hi,
i'm having problems setting up my new Picasso II (no surprise there)
before i plugged it in and killed my LCD i removed the resistor that sends the +5V to pin nine (cool so far)
next i installed it into my A4K, booted up and good news the screen showed up meaning the bypass from my scan doubler works a treat:) (strangly the banding from the scan doubler has disappeared) anyhoo, next i installed the picasso drivers, sweet! a reboot later i heard the picasso click as the screen mode changed, but i'm getting glitches around icons and the screen to wrapped around on itself (see the piccies)

so next i installed P96, now no matter what i do i'm only getting the native display, so what am i doing wrong?

cheers, JuvUK

Attachments

• banding.jpg
    banding.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
  • no banding.jpg
    no banding.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1
  • glitches.jpg
    glitches.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1
  • problem part.jpg
    problem part.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
  • offending part removed.jpg
    offending part removed.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
You need to setup the picasso screen modes, I think the glitches might just be your monitor struggling to display native screens.

Anyway - follow these steps and see how you get on:

• Run the picasso96 installer and choose the upgrade uption.
  • now only select the 'screenmodes' settings to install (uncheck everything else)
  • choose 31khz (this will give you some default screen modes)
  • reboot once installer is done
  • Go to prefs>P96 mode
  • once that loads right click for menu and choose attach board>PicassoII
  • You should now have some basic screen modes to test, 320x240, 640x480, etc (they were grayed out before you attached the board)
  • Now go for 640x480 it should be 31khz horizontal and 60 vertical and this should work with your screen
  • Hit test
  • Bingo? Or Fail? LOL
  • try the same with 320x240 and 800x600 (the other settings in the next lesson since they'll need fine tuning)
  • Once you've found some screens that work save your settings and reboot
  • Now when you goto the Screenmode Prefs you should see the Picasso modes?
  • Choose one of the ones you tested and know to work
  • Enjoy RTG
:cool:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
hmmm, mine says attach to "no board"?
show config find the board fine:(

Hmm, have you tried the Picasso in another slot?

Might be worth re-installing the drivers, in case they were not installed properly.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Juzzer

As you are using the P II in an A4000, make sure you have not got the jumper set for segmented mode (see the manual ;))

The P96 drivers will not detect the Picasso II if it is set to segmented mode..

Segmented mode is usefull for Zorro II Bus users as it stops the card from claiming the full 2MB Ram allocation and uses a paged windows for screen transfers. Zorro III does not support it though.

TC :cool:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hiya,

could someone post a picture of what the picasso test picture should look like?

thanks for all your help so far guys (y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Here it is mate:

IMG_8051.jpg

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
thanks Steve, (has your stuff turned up? and is your 1200 board OK?)

well i think i'm almost there, if i use the settings in the photo i get the test screen all lovely, then i save and reboot, go to screen modes and select Picasso 800x600 but the hz setting hasn't changed so the screen is garbled, what am i doing wrong?:(

Attachments

• picasso set up screen.jpg
    picasso set up screen.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 3
  • settings page.jpg
    settings page.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 3
  • setup screen.jpg
    setup screen.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thats not the same version of the picasso96 drivers I use, is it an old one or something?

I think you should try the release on Aminet, thats the one I am using with my PicassoII and it works fine.

Everything's arrived bud, I posted progress in my A4000 topic post 18+ :) (Thanks again!)

A1200 Motherboard isn't booting though mate, but not had time to really test it properly.

Steve.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
that's the one i used originally that just kept saying "no board" this is the disc that came with the card, it seems to work i'm just one step away (I hope)

Thats not the same version of the picasso96 drivers I use, is it an old one or something?

I think you should try the release on Aminet, thats the one I am using with my PicassoII and it works fine.

Steve.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I see! Well hopefully you get there bud, at least you're making progress.

The first time I tried to setup RTG I spent the whole weekend and still didn't have it working!!

Steve.

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
heheh know that feeling
I hit steve for some notes on installing my voodoo3 the other night, hopefully I`ll get to try them this week

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Not here Im using a really long VGA cable here with an RGB-VGA converter and all is fine. however if you have other cables worth a try to rule it out.

What workbench are you using because I had some trouble with classic workbench adv sp and the picasso drivers.

Steve.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
it is classic wb full 3.9, i'm pulling my hair out here, i've got the test screen perfect, it has now saved the settings, apply the screen mode, and it's either too dark to see or corrupted or crashes.
i don't understand why i can see the test screen perfect, then it dies when it's applied.

wierd!

sunnykwan

Country
Canada
Region
British Columbia
Have you tried reseating the Picasso II ram chips?

I'm using Picasso96 2.1C alpha

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Picasso96.htm

I upgraded from Picasso II 2MB to Cybervision 64 4MB. The CV64 was showing weird icon & screen artifacts...it was fixed by reseating the socketed video RAM.

Also reseating my A3000 chip & fast RAM fixed system stability & crashing problems.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
well, now i'm really stumped, i'm guessing all these driver installs have f'd up my hard drive as now i can't can past a guru reset at startup:(

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
it is classic wb full 3.9, i'm pulling my hair out here, i've got the test screen perfect, it has now saved the settings, apply the screen mode, and it's either too dark to see or corrupted or crashes.
i don't understand why i can see the test screen perfect, then it dies when it's applied.

wierd!

I'm sure its an app in classic workbench, disable the likes of FBlit & Copper then see how you get on.

It should work though becuase I am using CWB OS3.9 on my A4000 with PicassoIV and its fine.

I would try with a basic Worhbench install though just to rule out any fault with the card (use another CF/HDD) Maybe the memory is fine to display a test screen but not a full workbench screen.

All the best.
Steve.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
what would you guys recommend to connect a scsi HD to my PC? can i connect it externally? will winuae be able to use it?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Juv

Remember that 512MB CF card you have on loan ;) - stick a basic 3.1 workbench on it (via WINUAE) then install the Picasso II to that (using th native IDE)

(remember to copy the Picasso II install directory)

I would suggest that you create to partitions - both bootable - obviously with differnt priorities

install 3.1 to both partitions - this is so that in worse case the driver flaffs out and guru's again you can just boot from the other partition (using early startup) and just format the other drive and copy the data from the back partition - thus starting again.

Top Bottom