Play Blackpool

limboy777

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Uk
Region
Lancashire
Hi Is anyone going/been to Play Blackpool this weekend?

Im thinking of buying tickets (for my son and I) for tomorrow. Will there be less people on a Bank Holiday Monday? Also do I need to take coins to play the arcade machines or are they set to freeplay?

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Are there many traders there? what's the prices like? I mean are we talking good or ebay or ebay and then some?

fatbob_gb

Still Poor
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Lancashire
Are there many traders there? what's the prices like? I mean are we talking good or ebay or ebay and then some?

I don't know abut the traders, this is the first Play event that I haven't attended but was talking to someone who went yesterday & he was only interested in the more modern stuff.

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I went last year and also to play expo, generally speaking the traders charge higher than eBay prices. Sadly in some instances significantly more than eBay!

However if you go on the last day they may reduce prices to save them taking stuff back with them.

Regards

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yeah there's normally a good variety of stuff at these shows. I always found the amiga stuff to be quite reasonably priced, it's the console stuff that's inflated and they don't mind taking it back with them. It's not all traders through, there are usually smaller stalls, amibay have had sales tables in past events and have been some real bargains had.

rascaluk

Country
UK
Region
Manchester
It was all console. Picked up a couple of Intellivision games cheaper than eBay. There was a little PC too but no old computer stuff at all that I could see. Trade hall was a bit poor IMHO. The actual expo was fun though. Trade wise though people selling samurai swords, t shirts and quadcopters - meh.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
It was all console. Picked up a couple of Intellivision games cheaper than eBay. There was a little PC too but no old computer stuff at all that I could see. Trade hall was a bit poor IMHO. The actual expo was fun though. Trade wise though people selling samurai swords, t shirts and quadcopters - meh.

That's interesting, changed a lot then. Last time I was there old retro computers like Spectrum, C64, Amstrad and Amiga were plentiful.

I do know from some of the traders that they didn't sell particularly well as the audience were mostly for the console stuff, perhaps they didn't go back or take this kit for the same reason.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
Its probably because the amibay crew wasn't there

Last edited:

rascaluk

Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I think it was generally a smaller event than say Play Manchester last year (which I missed). I went to Retro Collect in Leeds in Feb and that had a much better selection and plenty of old C64/Amstrad/Speccy and Amiga stuff as well as the consoles.

limboy777

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Uk
Region
Lancashire
I think it was generally a smaller event than say Play Manchester last year (which I missed). I went to Retro Collect in Leeds in Feb and that had a much better selection and plenty of old C64/Amstrad/Speccy and Amiga stuff as well as the consoles.

I just came back from the event and there wasn't a large selection. I didn't buy anything. Most of the stuff was priced higher than eBay however I didn't go to buy anything although I took £100. This was my first event and I took my 6 year old but enjoyed the arcades and general atmosphere.

Top Bottom