Status
Not open for further replies.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Hi, most of us who's here have a lot of various upgrades for our miggys. Some cheap nice little things, other not very much so and some even very expensive but still very nice.

This poll will try to uncover not what the most loved upgrade is, but the one that gives most value for money and enjoyment out of our old machines. I have a definitive idea what that is :)

I realise some of these options on some machines means that you need more than one thing, but then we're on an upgrade path ;)

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: Poll: Most value for money amiga upgrade

IDE Buffer

In the early days when hard drives were so expensive it was the device that opened my 1200 to a new world.
I fitted a cheap 3.5" HDD in the desktop and ran an IDE cable out the back to attach a CDROM.

I then had WB3 on my miggy and could copy games & tools of of cd cover disk etc. and use them it also let me try installing the floppy based games onto HDD (remember the fun in trying to get them working) I had soooo many assigns in my start-up :mrgreen:

A simple thing but I was in heaven 8)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

scan doubler cos it lets me use the same screen as my pc and therefore saves valuable desktop space, plus it looks better than it ever did using scart

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I completely agree with both of you, yet I voted "Memory" since it will turn almost any amiga to a lean mean whd-load machine :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Tricky to just choose 1! Personally I would say a minimum of a nice memory/ accelerator upgrade AND a SD/FF.
The memory/ CPU to increase overall functionality and flexibility and the SD/FF purely because of convenience.
Therefore if pushed, my first is definitely an accelerator followed by the Scandy.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Scan Double/Flicker Fixer for me! I could not stand flickering video in the 90's and I really can't stand it now!

:mrgreen:

Heather

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

For me, value for money wise, my Blizzard 1260 was the best value for money.

By way of explanation, I picked up the following back in 2003 for £60 GBP from a guy in Glasgow:

A1200 w/ Blizzard A1260 and 32 MB SIMM
Surf Squirrel
Spare 3.1 Roms
Buffered IDE Interface (Fast ATA I think)

Needless to say I did very well on that transaction!

I did tell him it was worth considerably more but he was happy to see it go. He was an older guy, retired I think - it would be interested to see if he was still around on the Amiga scene as he still had a working expanded A2000 at the time...

Cheers,

AndyC

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I have practically all options mentioned.

But since I have to pick just one, it is memory expansion. It blows new live in any Amiga, even the A1000. I'm not mentioning crappy chip mem expansions: FAST RAM (even just 2Mb) really brings the Amiga to life. (y)

The second VITAL expansion is HD controller (don't needed in HD-ready Amigas). Try an A2000 without one, even one with lumps of RAM and a 060: frustrating, at best. Amigas without HD are a pain in the back. :banghead:

Third one is accelerator, then IDE expanders for IDE-only Amigas, then bus boards, then anything you want to add next until your pocket go really empty. :whistle:

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Mine :shrug:

Not really an add-on and certainly not cheap :Doh:

My 4000D of the other bay - It's cost me a small fortune since I bought it but at long last I'm nearly there with it :inlove:

Dave G 8)

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

For me it was the CPU/RAM and graphics card with scandoubler, usability raised like 100%. :pint:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

I would argue that the best thing to get would be an accelerator for the Amiga, its a much needed thing, however its often not the best value to be honest. especially in todays market LOL

so for the best value Amiga component, for me is the buffered IDE interface, or in real truth anything that lets you put a harddrive on an Amiga!

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Why aren't Hard Drives on the list of upgrades? My A600 way back then didn't come with one, I added one later. Surely that qualifies as a upgrade?

Anyhoo, I voted for 'Other' for this reason.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Merlin is right. I have an A500 with HD (and only 1Mb CHIP!). It works OK and is usable.

My A2000 have 8Mb RAM, 030 accelerator and two floppies. The original 2091 dies on me. The 2000 was a real pain in the back to use until I got a new controller.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Maybe the option which ends in 'and such' could have been more precise:)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

HDD was definitely the most impressive upgrade for me at the time. However a ram expansion was the one that really opened up the Amiga to allow it to do more. I do however still remember installing my first Amiga HDD and being amazed by how fast it was and how much storage space I suddenly had. A whole 330MB. :LOL:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

330Mb???? You exhibitionist! :shock:

My first HD have 40Mb and cost me an arm and a leg (maybe part of liver, too). :banghead:

chain

Chain`s H.Q.
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Vysocina

depends which amiga will be equipped with it

A1200 imo needs cpu/ram combo AND mouse adapter (matter of comfort) where A4000 already have plenty of ram and fast cpu, so there it will be scandoubler AND mouse adapter (yup, throw those ball mouses to museum)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

rkauer said:
330Mb???? You exhibitionist! :shock:

My first HD have 40Mb and cost me an arm and a leg (maybe part of liver, too). :banghead:

:LOL: I seem to remember that 330MB drive cost me quite a few body parts. The figure of £399 comes to mind. I'm sure I still have the original receipt somewhere. I know it was purchased in 1992 for my new A1200.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

The 40Mb HD was for mine first A500 + GVP SCSI. Good times, hard times.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Definitely CPU & Memory combo!
Having such a thing has given life into my A1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom