Potentially ludicrous question...

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Right, I have my A1200 hooked up to my router with a wired ethernet card and all is gravy.

I have a photographic darkroom in my cellar that I am just about to relocate somewhere else and I came to thinking that I might turn it into a music and retro gaming room, drum kit and guitar and my consoles (N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Saturn, Mega Drive, CD32 and A1200) in there. Lovely, a man cave!

Now, I would still want my Amiga to be net connected ideally. I have a wireless card but it is WEP only and I want to use WPA on my network still.

Is there such a thing as a wireless receiver that could pick up my network and then feed it to the Amiga through the wired card? That way I can still use WPA as the Amiga will think it's hardwired to the main router.

S

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
An easier solution would be to have 2 x Wireless Routers in your house. One in the cellar & one upstairs which connects to your Internet. Then you just hard wire your Amiga to the router in the cellar & connect via Wireless between the two Routers. :)

You will need to give the cellar Router its own IP address though & allow the main Router upstairs to deal with DHCP. ;)

Alternatively, run Ethernet cable from the Router upstairs down to the cellar & terminate it with an RJ45 socket for a single point, or use a switched hub or standard Router for more inputs.

"Man Cave" :LOL:

Kin

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The Wireless Bridge is definitely the way to go! They are a little expensive, but you set them up once using your computer and it basically acts like a wired connection back to your router. You can even plug in a hub and connect multiple systems to the bridge. :)

Good luck!

Heather

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Dunno if this interests you at all, but you could always try a wired solution too! No need to pull cables from upstairs, but if you get one of those "nic through AC outlet" things, you can do pretty well! In fact i got me a pair of Netgear XE102 units for around 50Euros. You might find em cheaper...
Here's a uk link http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_bridge_xe102.php

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
http://www.computingunplugged.com/issues/issue200305/00001038001.html They are not very cheap, but exist!

You could hack linux on some types of routers and have wireless to 4 port ethernet to.

I would test if you have a signal downthere first if I were you!

Awesome, cheers for that, in my reading list now. Re: Linux, that's more than I want to try and get my head around. I'm just about managing with Amiga OS now, no need to confuse the ole grey matter any more than it already is! ;-)

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

An easier solution would be to have 2 x Wireless Routers in your house. One in the cellar & one upstairs which connects to your Internet. Then you just hard wire your Amiga to the router in the cellar & connect via Wireless between the two Routers. :)

You will need to give the cellar Router its own IP address though & allow the main Router upstairs to deal with DHCP. ;)

Alternatively, run Ethernet cable from the Router upstairs down to the cellar & terminate it with an RJ45 socket for a single point, or use a switched hub or standard Router for more inputs.

"Man Cave" :LOL:

Kin

This is more like what I was first thinking and the more I think about it the more straightforward it seems. Time for some googling...

And yes, "man cave" is about right. Imagine, a windowless, almost soundproof room, about 15 by 12 foot, full drum kit, electric guitar, beer fridge (formerly photo paper and film fridge), 32 inch plasma telly, half a dozen retro consoles and an Amiga. That makes for a very happy chap :-D Got a SNES, NES and Master System on the wish list, as well as either a cheap old piano or an organ. Not that I can play any of these instruments, mind. I just like making a racket.

S

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Dunno if this interests you at all, but you could always try a wired solution too! No need to pull cables from upstairs, but if you get one of those "nic through AC outlet" things, you can do pretty well! In fact i got me a pair of Netgear XE102 units for around 50Euros. You might find em cheaper...
Here's a uk link http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_bridge_xe102.php

That is certainly interesting, but probably more budget than I want to put into it. Fascinating though!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
<snip>

This is more like what I was first thinking and the more I think about it the more straightforward it seems. Time for some googling...

And yes, "man cave" is about right. Imagine, a windowless, almost soundproof room, about 15 by 12 foot, full drum kit, electric guitar, beer fridge (formerly photo paper and film fridge), 32 inch plasma telly, half a dozen retro consoles and an Amiga. That makes for a very happy chap :-D Got a SNES, NES and Master System on the wish list, as well as either a cheap old piano or an organ. Not that I can play any of these instruments, mind. I just like making a racket.

S
<snip>

I'm desperately trying to isolate myself in this kind of environment too. Maybe we are just perverts of a kind m8. :LOL:

Good luck finding a solution as I mentioned too. ;)

Kin

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
I'm desperately trying to isolate myself in this kind of environment too. Maybe we are just perverts of a kind m8. :LOL:

Good luck finding a solution as I mentioned too. ;)

Kin

Don't get me wrong, I love being a family man these days (my misspent youth of pubs and clubs and raves and pills and acid trips and fear and loathing is long gone and good riddance!) but having my own little place where I can go and immerse myself in my fads and obsessions is just so very nice. At the moment it's my study, but it's rapidly becoming a repository for junk I've bought from ebay again. Last time it was vintage Macs taking over, I got rid of those but now it's vintage consoles. End result is the same, I can't get any bloody work done up there! A grand relocation is in order, and from the info you guys have given me in this thread, it should be a painless one!

S

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Good stuff all round fella! - Have some for me & I'll do the same for you when I'm sorted. :D

Kin

Top Bottom