Power Computing PC880B A1200 problems

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Here is a question that I have never had answered:

How come the Power Computing PC880B external drive was incompatible with the Amiga 1200? I have a feeling it might have something to do with the completely useless (but switchable) "blitz" copying mode, that did not actually seem to make any difference at all when trying to back up protected floppies.

The drive would recognise disks, but it would start generating spurious random read errors on occasion. What was the difference between the way the A1200 handled floppy drives and the other Amiga systems that led to this anomaly?

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Is that the thread you intended to link to? They seem to be describing issues with a Power Computing XL drive.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i can't seem to find anyone else having problems (except in not being able to find the original Blitz software) sorry m8

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
I will just clarify, I am not having this problem as present. This was a known issue that came to light when the Amiga 1200 was released. Any PC880B drive sold up until that point was incompatible with the Amiga 1200. As a result, I gave my PC880B away to my friend who I had sold my A500 to. They may have released patched versions of the drive since then. I am just curious why the incompatibility originally arose, and what was the unique difference in the way A1200s handled external floppy drives?

Top Bottom