Printing from Apdf

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hi all,
I`m having trouble printing pdf files from aPdf. I can print, but only in horrible Courier.

When I print from the test file, I get all the fonts printed correctly, it`s only using pdf's from other sources I have the problem.

Do I need to scan fonts in each file and sustitute a working font? I can`t seem to save that section globally, only for that document. Even then, I still can`t seem to get it to print in anything other than Courier.

I should add I have a Postscipt module in my HP printer, and I`ve tried printing to PAR: and PS: as suggested in the docs.

Any help greatly appreciated :help:

Last edited:

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
Surely someone here can help? :roll:

<BUMP>

:LOL:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi Wurzel,

I think some more information is needed before we can solve this one. Is the HP printer a Postscript one that can accept downloaded fonts? Are there any dip-switches that set a default font for the printer?

I would test the printer with a document from a program like Final Copy / Final Writer or Wordworth, to see if a true Postscript, Truetype or outline font gets printed. A test print will only display the installed fonts on the printer.

PDF's are usually image files, so the problem may lie in either your printer having Postscript fonts disabled, or it doesn't support Postscript. I'd be very surprised if it didn't support Postscript though.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi Wurzel,

(Hope the following is ok with the Moderators?)

If it's any help whilst you figure out aPDF, I have Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro and if your documents are something you can share i.e. non-personal or non-confidential I'd be happy to try to convert them for you into another format that you could possibly print. As long as it's not Encyclopaedia_Britannica.pdf :) ...pls let me know.

Available formats are:

- Word Document
- Rich Text
- XML 1.0
- HTML
- JPEG, TIFF, TNG
- Text
- Postrscript
- Encapsulated Postscript
- PDF/A
- PDF/E
- PDF/X

...don't ask me what all the variations are as I'm unsure.

Alternatively there are various online converter websites via a google search.

Cheers,
Ed.

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the offer, but I am able to convert myself using Pagestream, which I have both on my miggy & PC. It`s just that certain documanets are easier to print from the Laserjet connected to my miggy, rather than the Deskjet connected to the PC.
Thanks anyway, for the offer.
wurzel

Hi Wurzel,

(Hope the following is ok with the Moderators?)

If it's any help whilst you figure out aPDF, I have Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro and if your documents are something you can share i.e. non-personal or non-confidential I'd be happy to try to convert them for you into another format that you could possibly print. As long as it's not Encyclopaedia_Britannica.pdf :) ...pls let me know.

Available formats are:

- Word Document
- Rich Text
- XML 1.0
- HTML
- JPEG, TIFF, TNG
- Text
- Postrscript
- Encapsulated Postscript
- PDF/A
- PDF/E
- PDF/X

...don't ask me what all the variations are as I'm unsure.

Alternatively there are various online converter websites via a google search.

Cheers,
Ed.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Hi Merlin,

I did say that I had the Postscript module in my HP Laserjet6, I think? There aren`t any dip switches to change and yes, it does accept downloaded fonts (I have 32mb RAM installed in it).

The printer works fine, from Wordworth and Pagestream, which is why I am sure that it is something to do with my settings in aPDF which is why it won`t print in anything other than Courier.

Also, as I said, the test fonts from the aPDF Test file DO print correctly.

Thanks anyway.
wurzel

Hi Wurzel,

I think some more information is needed before we can solve this one. Is the HP printer a Postscript one that can accept downloaded fonts? Are there any dip-switches that set a default font for the printer?

I would test the printer with a document from a program like Final Copy / Final Writer or Wordworth, to see if a true Postscript, Truetype or outline font gets printed. A test print will only display the installed fonts on the printer.

PDF's are usually image files, so the problem may lie in either your printer having Postscript fonts disabled, or it doesn't support Postscript. I'd be very surprised if it didn't support Postscript though.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Did you installed the fonts pack?

Also, I think you have to have the fonts you are trying to print in Adobe format to get them recognized properly, and when the program doesn't detect they it automatically swap the not founded ones for Courier.

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
Did you installed the fonts pack?

Also, I think you have to have the fonts you are trying to print in Adobe format to get them recognized properly, and when the program doesn't detect they it automatically swap the not founded ones for Courier.

Hi, yes, I have installed this pack and I also have a LOT of Postscript and TTF installed on my system. They just don`t seem to be recognised with any other file apart from the Test file which comes with aPDF :(

I think the problem is as you say above: " and when the program doesn't detect they it automatically swap the not founded ones for Courier", which is exactly what seems to be happening.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
May i suggest a rather "unorthodox" way of better output? Seeing the rig you have, if that's the one at your signature, you could remain under the hardware setup your Amiga offers you, and run a decent Mac emulator such as ShapeShifter. That's how i used to print pdf's in the first place, utilizing my rather old now HP DeskJet 540C -which was a parallel model- and i guess that your LaserJet 6 has a parallel port too, right? Setting an OS up to Version 8.1, and using the Acrobat Reader would come in handy! :) You might find this a hassle, but i believe that a Classic Mac setup broadens your software horizons too! Just a thought there...

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
May i suggest a rather "unorthodox" way of better output? Seeing the rig you have, if that's the one at your signature, you could remain under the hardware setup your Amiga offers you, and run a decent Mac emulator such as ShapeShifter. That's how i used to print pdf's in the first place, utilizing my rather old now HP DeskJet 540C -which was a parallel model- and i guess that your LaserJet 6 has a parallel port too, right? Setting an OS up to Version 8.1, and using the Acrobat Reader would come in handy! :) You might find this a hassle, but i believe that a Classic Mac setup broadens your software horizons too! Just a thought there...
Hi there,

You are right that my printer has a parallel port.
As for Mac emulation, I had thought these were no longer available. Guess I should start searching for it .... /scratches head

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Well, ShapeShifter and it's later relative Basilisk II are both freeware projects, and you can start from here: http://shapeshifter.cebix.net/
Requirements may be a matter though, since it requires an old Mac ROM which is still a matter of copyright meaning that you have to own the actual ROM i order to use the image... Other than that, you'll be able to find plenty of how-to guides on setting up. I was lucky to have Macs around the house for a long time now. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Only hard part is the Mac ROM, emulators like Shapeshifter are easy to found even on Amiga Format magazine CD (I have it, and PCTask too :)!).

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@rkauer: Imagine how i felt after i paid the license to the then-shareware ShapeShifter only to find a freeware same a few months later on the cover CD!! But still, a great piece of sw i never regretted! (y)

wurzel

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Jersey, Channel Islands
Only hard part is the Mac ROM, emulators like Shapeshifter are easy to found even on Amiga Format magazine CD (I have it, and PCTask too :)!).

Ok, I got BasiliskII, Mac Rom, Shapeshifter (because you need PrepareEmul which doesn`t come with Basilisk ?), and even got MacOs 7.5.3.

You are right, I gave up on the idea previously because the Mac Rom was the hard part.

I got Basilisk running but it can`t find the OS, even though I downloaded BootDisk. So, All I need to do is to unarchive the 19 files for the OS, insert them and run.

Does that sound about right?

(Yes, I know this is an APDF thread but, I will use Adobe on the Mac side then things should print better, which was the ultimate aim ;) )

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Just a thought and pardon my noob input, but could this issue have anything to do with the way the Workbench postscript preferences are set up? "PrinterPS"

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@wurzel: You would require either a hard disc image (pseudopartition as i call it) or a dedicated disc/partition to be used for installing the OS. Personally i like a dedicated disk for the job, but that's just me. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of guides for setting up ShapeShifter. If you can't find an ideal one, let me know so i can look out. I'd link you to the one i wrote, but it's in Greek :)....

Top Bottom