Privacy concern : anyone using a webcam cache?

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.

These days, I am concerned about computer security.
I am especially worried about webcam (and mic) piracy on laptops.
This thing seems to be flourishing for a couple years.

For now, i have only found two models of caches.

- the monkeywi needs to be glued on the computer (http://www.neonmag.fr/piratage-de-webcam-la-solution-monkeywi-galerie-1041983-2356824.html) and i'm not keen to glue anything

- another magnetic thingi which is made for Apple computers and tablet.

Does any of you use a fine cache and can link to one?

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
The English word for this is "Webcam Cover", not Cache (cache in English means "Cachette" as in buffer memory, not "hide"/"cover" as in French). Search for webcam cover and you'll get many more results.

Bryce.

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Or a bit of electrical tape. Not exactly elegant, but cheap and cheerful and does the trick!

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
I think privacy is non existent at this point in the internet. I made my webcam/mic (PS3 eye toy) a lens hat. Haha. looks like it has an errection but it will stop any snoopers looking at my gaming and film collection. :)
IMG_5977.JPGIMG_5972.JPG

Before anyone accuses me of being a few paranoid thoughts from making wearing a tin hat and joining infowars, i feel (in my opinion) there is plenty of info on the web to give more than enough evidence that legitimate companies can access your mics and webcams let alone any one doing it illegally. I am creative so i made a tube but i agree that a post-it note or some tape will do the job just fine too. :)

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Indeed, googling for webcam cover gives more results (but i was looking for a french product to get it faster).

The problem remains with the mic. Any way to mute it out for sure?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Before anyone accuses me of being a few paranoid thoughts from making wearing a tin hat

Given that there is known malware out there that absolutely does try to activate webcams and mics, I think you are justified in your actions. These devices should really have phyiscal hardware switches to enable/disable them.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
The webcam of our laptop sees only the white kitchen wall or the ugly mug of yours truly in case someone might be eavesdropping. :LOL:

A small background program that monitors line-in and shows graphically if there's any activity might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
So after having reviewed everything on the internet, the monkeywi appears to be the best solution.
http://www.monkeywi.com/
Just bought 3 of them.

Now, i have to check about the mic, thought i'm not usually talking much to my computer.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
My webcam is so action-packed that anyone spying via my webcam will die of a heart attack thus restoring nature's balance.

I like to do my bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigal322012

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
This is actually bad and scary .My Webcam turned on automatically twice before and I thought that it was on drugs or something

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I feel really sorry for anyone who thinks they can profit from the contents of my webcam. They really have reached a deep dark place in life and need some expensive therapy.

Bryce.

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
Well, if you are doing something in front of your computer that requires covering the webcam, then you are doing something you are not supposed to :) stop it!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom