Problem installing CyberVisionPPC

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey guys. It seems like everything is a problem with my new A3000 project. Ok, so I install the cybervisionppc. Before I install cybergraphx it will display the desktop fine, but once I install cybergraphx, the graphics card doesn't display anything anymore, and cybergraphx says there is no card installed. What am I doing wrong? :(

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
I did that too, still no luck. I'm going to start with a fresh install of OS3.9 for the zillionth time. How about someone tells me step by step how to set up this bloody graphics card? I'm having no luck setting up this A3000. When I built my A2000 it was smooth sailing. I am just having rotten luck because I have been out of the Amiga scene for about a year so I forgot all the nuances... :(

amigafan

Banned
Country
Poland
Region
Warsaw
There are three issues to remember when installing CVPPC.
1) If you have the newest flash update on CSPPC - in CSPPC boot menu there is PCI option - and OS3.9 with BB2 you have to use CGX4 with newest update (RC5 or RC6 - I don't remember now). Any other previous CGX do not work with newest CSPPC firmware and OS3.9BB2
2) CGX4 installer (I don't remember is this the case in CGX3) DO NOT copy one of the needed libs. You have to check manually do you have cgxsystem.library, cgxvideo.library, cgxbootpic.library (if you choose to use bootpic) in Libs.
3) After installing and activating the CVPPC remember that it does not have set any screenmodes so you have to switch to internal scandoubler/flickerfixer, use CGXMode (it's in Prefs), create modes, reboot Amiga and still being connected to scandoubler choose CVPPC display mode in ScreenMode prefs.
I hope that helps :)

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Ok I did a clean install of OS3.9, then installed the CyberStormPPC stuff, then rebooted, installed CyberGraphX 4 from CD, copied the missing lib from the CGX4 CD, installed the CGX4 RC6 patch, rebooted, and now the problem is slightly different. Now when I click on CGXMode, nothing happens. A small amount of memory is used, but the program doesn't run. I'm thinking there is something wrong with my CyberVisionPPC... :( What am I doing wrong??

amigafan

Banned
Country
Poland
Region
Warsaw
I'm sure this is a software problem, not hardware.
Did you reboot Amiga?
Use showcgxconfig to check whether the CVPPC is recognized.
You should have it in Tools

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
It shows the current Lib version and 0 cards installed. I must stress that the card does work with no CyberGraphX installed, it will show a mirror of the desktop. It will display the early startup menu, or any screen of any install that doesn't have cybergraphx installed. I think it is a software problem too, I just don't know what I"m doing wrong...

amigafan

Banned
Country
Poland
Region
Warsaw
I had exactly the same problem when I bought my first CVPPC.
I also thought it was the card malfunction but it was software issue.
Here is my configuration. We'll see if that helps.
It is my old configuration used with CTR monitor so if you are using LCD the refresh rate is probably too high.
It was packed and uploaded using MacOS so after unpacking check whether the protection bits are OK.

Attachments

• CyberVisionPPC.zip
    294.7 KB · Views: 0

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Well I got it working! I needed to follow !THIS! thread and update 68060.library to 46.7 and flash the board to 44.71, then it worked. Now the problem is after working for a while it shuts down. I think it's overheating, so I'm going to install a fan/heatsync. Can anyone recommend a good thermal adhesive for this? To clarify, the whole comp doesn't shut down, just the CyberVision. So anyway, I'm putting a heatsync on it asap. There is already a small one on there but it has no fan, so I am attaching a heatsync/fan combo.

Nope I was wrong, it is the whole comp that resets. I think it's something wrong with the new libs I installed. I'm pretty sure I didn't set the libs up right. Oh well I think I can fix it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom