Problem with BPPC 040/200 on 1d4 mobo

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Hi all,

I am currently having serious issues getting a board I swapped for here: https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=8875

The board will not seem to boot reliably, it just gives me a blank screen and I cant even use keys to disable the board; however, sometimes it will boot and show the 040 in workbench (have not tested PPC yet)

There is some info in the sale thread. I suspect the problem may be the expansion connector on the mobo, but am unsure. Do not have another mobo to test with atm. Some people have suggested a power issue (I am using atx psu).

Im cautious to try anything too drastic at the moment until I can test in another mobo (in case I damage BPPC).

So far, I have tried cleaning the edge connector on mobo with screenwash and allow to dry. Have also inspected pins on BPPC and they all seem correct.

I have uploaded gallery of pictures of BPPC and edge connector here:

http://yfrog.com/j4imag0003shjx

Hopefully someone can help me, or if anyone lives close to colchester and can let me test my bppc in their a1200 Id appreciate it.

Any help gratefully received!

EDIT: I have successfully used blizzard 1230 and blizzard 1240 on this board. I understand this is not so important as they draw less power and suffer less from resistance etc but thought i'd mention.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

I also had similar problems getting my BPPC (060@50, 603e@160) to work on my 1D4, with or without the timing-fix.
It works flawlessly on a rev 2B I acquired recently, so I suggest trying another mobo before blaming the card :)

As with your case, my 1D4 works great with other accelerators.
Btw, adding a 5V power line directly to the BPPC did not help in my case.

Good luck!

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Zetro is currently doing some magic on my 2b board. If it comes back to life I may try with that.

Its so annoying! New toy and no chance to play :(

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
yep same here had 2 do timeing fixes od 1D4 mobo to get it working
but works fine on the 2B board

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Have tried the timing fixes but no joy. Hoping its now power related, forgot to get a 9v for my multimeter on way home so this will have to wait until tomorrow :(

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
I had the same exactly same issues when I bought my BPPC040 back then. I sent it to PG to check it out when he made the 040-->060 upgrade and never failed me ever since.
As PG stated in one of his emails, 040's can be picky with some mobos (as it was with mine). After the 060 upgrade everything worked like a charm. (My board had the timing fixes made by me - 1D4 rev)

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Ok a little revisit to this thread:

I have recently acquired a 1d1 revision A1200 and the BPPC refused to work in there too!

I have done some further investigations and if I push the board upwards and towards the edge connector the board boots fine. I'm starting to think that maybe its a problem with the connector on the BPPC. Has anyone had any experience with this problem on BPPCs?

This is driving me nuts!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

I have recently acquired a 1d1 revision A1200 and the BPPC refused to work in there too!

I have done some further investigations and if I push the board upwards and towards the edge connector the board boots fine. I'm starting to think that maybe its a problem with the connector on the BPPC. Has anyone had any experience with this problem on BPPCs?

This is driving me nuts!

It sounds to me that the connector is worn out, or maybe just dirty. I know you cleaned the contacts on your A1200 but I suggest cleaning the contacts on the BPPC as well clearly its not making a good connection unless you move the card.

Another thing you can do, only if you are confident and very careful is to use a small electrical screwdriver (very small one) and slightly adjust the pins on the edge connector to make a better contact. Be *very* careful and do this at your risk or get help from another Amibayer. I suggest cleaning first with IPA though.

Best of luck, I know you've had a torrid time and hope your luck turns now for the better.

Steve.

Another thing I think maybe this card has been used for a long time in a Tower and has spent its life leaning to one side and the connectors are now lined up for that way, I think you probably will need to adjust them as I descibe above but please wait for another amibay to confirm my theory before you go ahead.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Already done both. Have given them a good toothbrush clean with IPA and adjusted the prongs using a pin, still same result.

Rah! I'm considering just wedging a bit of wood between the card and the case and clearing it from my mind!

Thanks for the advice though Steve

This is driving me nuts!

It sounds to me that the connector is worn out, or maybe just dirty. I know you cleaned the contacts on your A1200 but I suggest cleaning the contacts on the BPPC as well clearly its not making a good connection unless you move the card.

Another thing you can do, only if you are confident and very careful is to use a small electrical screwdriver (very small one) and slightly adjust the pins on the edge connector to make a better contact. Be *very* careful and do this at your risk or get help from another Amibayer. I suggest cleaning first with IPA though.

Best of luck, I know you've had a torrid time and hope your luck turns now for the better.

Steve.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I updated my post with a theory on how its become this way :huh:

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex

I honestly think you're spot on. I have coerced the pins as much as I feel safe doing. Just for my info, what way it likely to have spent its life?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

I honestly think you're spot on. I have coerced the pins as much as I feel safe doing. Just for my info, what way it likely to have spent its life?

I guess it could flop either way if you let it, mine naturally falls one way (inwards to the Tower) becuase of the weight of the massive 128mb Simms on the back of the card, but I keep making sure its as upright as possible.

If you look at this pic:

IMG_0051.jpg

You see how it sits in the Tower, it really can move around a lot.

Of course it could also have spent its life in a 'raised' desktop beling alowed to flow down onto the desk, unlike the Bliz1260 there is nothing to stop it flopping down...

Steve.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
What says xanxi to this?

It would be interesting to hear but I honestly think he dosen't want anymore to do with the card as he states in the other thread its not his card anymore.

My theory is only speculation, of course no-one can say for sure why Wasagi has had trouble with the card when xanxi has described it as 100% working, all we can do is try to get Wasagi up and running so he can enjoy this awesome PPC card :cool:

Wasagi has been driving all over the South East of England trying to get a Motherboard that works with this card, I think he has been very good not to loose his cool.

Steve.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
My old Blizzard 1230 used to do the same as Steve's 1260 so I cut some 1 inch blocks of high density grey foam and stuck 2 together and then onto the tower power supply. The 1230 rested quite nicely up against the foam and it stayed nice and vertical :D

Will be doing the exact same with my PPC @330Mhz once some more foam arrives from fleabay.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex

I guess it could flop either way if you let it, mine naturally falls one way (inwards to the Tower) becuase of the weight of the massive 128mb Simms on the back of the card, but I keep making sure its as upright as possible.

If you look at this pic:

IMG_0051.jpg

You see how it sits in the Tower, it really can move around a lot.

Of course it could also have spent its life in a 'raised' desktop beling alowed to flow down onto the desk, unlike the Bliz1260 there is nothing to stop it flopping down...

Steve.

Knowing the weight of these cards, it looks like that could cause some damage. Are you planning to support it?

my 1260 used to do that, i cable tied the blighter in place:D

Although I have considered similar methods, I'd prefer to fix this so its's not necessary

What says xanxi to this?

He says it was working 100% and now its no longer his card. He did offer some advice to try and get me up and running.

What says xanxi to this?

Wasagi has been driving all over the South East of England trying to get a Motherboard that works with this card, I think he has been very good not to loose his cool.

Steve.

Only about 400 miles!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Knowing the weight of these cards, it looks like that could cause some damage. Are you planning to support it?

I don't think so, its standing upright on its own. It only drops down if you move the case or if you put it in that way. I've got the sides off for the Pr0n factor most of the time so I can see if anything is wrong :cool:

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Just an update on this one.

This is how the board is fitted:

imag0046n.jpg

Cardboard is just for memory to rest on. No metal is touching metal, but better to be safe than sorry.

Now if I give the card a hard press downwards to the front of the miggy like pictured below before powering on the card will boot fine. However if I turn off and turn power on it fails to boot or come sup black with red wavey lines. Until I give it another push in the same direction.

imag0048ta.jpg

I'm convinced that it's the connector to blame, but I have tried numerous times springing the pins to no effect :(

Top Bottom