Problems with neighbours and your wireless?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
LOL... perfect... it's laugh time. :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
With all respect, whilst their might be some serious loop holes in Wireless networks accross the World, I don't think AmiBay should be should be promoting or advocating such illegal practises.

Can a Senior Mod please remove the link & close this thread?

Thank you.

Kin

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
With all respect, whilst their might be some serious loop holes in Wireless networks accross the World, I don't think AmiBay should be should be promoting or advocating such illegal practises.

What he is doing is not illegal, it is his own network and the neighbours are stealing his bandwidth so this is how he dealt with it on his equipment ;)

I will consult with the other mods to decide whether they see a problem with this item, but I don't see anything there that allows you to access anyone elses network.

Gary

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I see your point Gary, entirely.... but this kind of stuff gets logged on the Web crawlers building their databases & I still feel AmiBay shouldn't be a part of it.

The real answwer is to run a secure Wireless network or hard wire yourself.

Kin

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
I would say "you are joking, right", but you're obviously not... Ah well, takes all sorts :D
It's humour, or at least I find it funny. Particularly redirecting all unauthorised traffic to kitten fights :)

Just in case you've missed the point, this is about setting up your *own* wireless router to serve up a modified web experience to bandwidth thieves. It's not a "howto steal your neighbours internet connection".

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Sorry Kin, I certainly don't see anything illegal included in the link. Whilst it is sound advice to encrypt or hardwire, it is not obligatory.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Doing this to your own network is not the answer to the problem though is it?
It's also encouraging other permutations of hackery which I don't think AmiBay should be fronting.

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
It's also encouraging other permutations of hackery which I don't think AmiBay should be fronting.

Kin

I have read the thread from top to toe..... theres NO HACKING or PHREAKING just splitting the network over two groups one for authorised traffic and one for non-authorised traffic - these are simple networks that are MAC identified the other just redirects port 80 traffic to another website should the MAC address not match that in its schema...

Nothing malicious or harmfull, and in truth could be done by a first year A level student.

Interestingly to achieve the aboive one needs a Programmable Linux Based DHCP enable router or DHCP Manager - I know it looks like some archane incantations to conjur up malifesent demons of the internet - however its nothing more than MAC limmiting (authorising) and MAC forwarding, which is exactly what your wirless router at home does (can do) anyway.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Kin

I have read the thread from top to toe..... theres NO HACKING or PHREAKING just splitting the network over two groups one for authorised traffic and one for non-authorised traffic - these are simple networks that are MAC identified the other just redirects port 80 traffic to another website should the MAC address not match that in its schema...

Nothing malicious or harmfull, and in truth could be done by a first year A level student.

Interestingly to achieve the aboive one needs a Programmable Linux Based DHCP enable router or DHCP Manager - I know it looks like some archane incantations to conjur up malifesent demons of the internet - however its nothing more than MAC limmiting (authorising) and MAC forwarding, which is exactly what your wirless router at home does (can do) anyway.

Sure thing Zetr0 & already fully understood. Whilst it does serve the illegal user right to see everything upside down & in Russian, I'm just saying I don't think AmiBay should be fronting this kind of information. - That's all.
However sublime or funny this information might appear, it's not the real solution to the problem & in the wrong or more clever hands, could be used for other network offences.

Kin

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
What you need is the right type (version) of router and then the sky is the limit.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

The most interesting feature is wireless to 4 port ethernet for legacy systems:whistle: at least a 50 percent coupon eh.. (the routing is getting the wireless from elsewhere and redirects it to the ethernet (lan) ports)

And yup this means wireless to amiga, wireless to aros, wireless to xbox etc too

The only misuse of the above would be that an unsecured wireless network could be misused some more by fooling the user with the above.

But weve been victim at work ourself, I would prefer the above (since I would realise then being hacked) then not being able to perform any work because of overdownloading.

But hey, if this would compromise amibay, for me it's ok to remove also..(the complete thread) The real question is where do you draw the

Not going to step in this difficult matter, since culture, personal believe, etc would just end up in a ************, and for me not necesarry at all, nor wanted!

I resisted to reply in this thread already 3 x times since it was created because of this.

But hey, understand Kin concern's as well..

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I also see no problem here. Just an amusing idea, and an interesting way to configure a wireless router to have a joke at those trying to use your connection for themselves. Nothing illegal.

Top Bottom