PSP Custome Firmware / hacking PSP to run emulators etc.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi all,

I'm after somebody's knowledge here!
I've just got myself a PSP having never owned one before (got a PSP-1000)
I require assistance putting a custom firmware on it .... I only have the PSP-1000, charger and normal battery (I don't have a 'Pandora battery')

Can some nice person please either

• tell me what I need, where to get it and how to do it
  • or do it for me (I will pay if required)
Thanks in advance
woodycool

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
I do not write instructions to well. If all else fails you can send it to me, I have done loads of 1000's. Its dead easy to do, so if no one shows you an easy guide just PM me and we can arrange for me to do it. Free of charge you would just pay postage to me and back.

Cheers

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Woodycool

What firmware does it have now?

There is a system info screen you can view in 'settings' or something.

Steve.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
@Woodycool, i have a pandora battery and magic memory stick i can lend you if you want to put custom firmware on it, just cover the postage back to me when you're finished.
It will install the latest firmware as of a few months ago and is as easy as plugging the memory stick in, then plugging the battery in while holding the x button and clicking the flash firmware option.

Mike

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The Pandora battery is simply the cheapest, easiest method to hack your PSP. You can get the pre-made Pandora batteries at DealExtreme really cheap. You just have to get the correct files from the Internet for the memory card.

Good luck!

Heather

*EDIT* And you also get a battery with the word TOOL in big, bold print. :wink:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
What firmware does it have now?
I just checked the settings screen and it says:
System Software: Version 5.03
Hope that helps.

Was checking in case you already had a custom (or really old downgradeable) firmware on there in which case it would have just been a case of downloading the new version (or downgrader) and running it.

I guess the best option here is the Pandora Battery as suggested.

Steve.

DaZZaBoY

OldskoOler
Country
England
Region
South Cumbria
I can also thoroughly recommend using a Pandora Battery + magic mem stick and Scrappy's offer of sending the kit to you, is a generous one.

The full kits, if you decide to try it for yourself, are about £35 but for this you get the battery, an 8GB mem card loaded with the needed files and a multiway USB card reader. Try punching 'Pandora Battery' into Google for a wealth of sellers.

It's an absolute doddle to do and pretty much fool proof. God bless the haXXor god! :cool:

Last edited:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Having done many PSPs in the past I also recommend the Pandora Battery/Magic Memory Stick method as it doesn't matter what firmware you have.

You simply put the magic memory stick in, take old battery out and insert the Pandora battery, a message comes up telling you to hit the X button, and that's it. It does the rest for you.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
You can make your own "magic" memory stick, can't you? Or do you need an already hacked PSP to make the magic memory stick? I can't remember since I already had a hacked PSP when I made my memory stick.

Thanks!

Heather

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
you can make your own magic memory stick just by downloading the files and placing them on the pro duo card but you need a hacked psp to run the software to make your battery into a pandora one.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I ment to post thisup yesterday but unfortauntely I got busy with the curry and retro gaming... been spanking D&D Heros on the XBox - orginal with a couple of L00twh0ring chuimmies =)

anyway, I posted this has been up on EAB and Retro-Gamer a while back -

1. *Please note all links are fully legal - those that contain Sony propriety code are from Sony's web releases that are downloadable from Sony.

2. *Please also note that Some of the eBay links in here are likely to not be available as this is an old guide, take some time to research the data presented here, if in doubt always ask first and buy later.

3. *Information provided here is to allow you to play legal backups of the games and software that you own, it is further provided so that you can run you own software, please do not abused or infringe on anyone's copyrighted work. - if you like a game.... buy the game =)

Now go put the kettle on, make yourself a brew and start reading (chocky hob-nobs optional, but recommended)

heres what you need with links and how to do it.

1. Pro Duo Memory stick with MagicGate(tm) enabled

Heres a reasonable priced item from eBay.co.uk BIN £4.61 (includes postage)

please make sure to ask the seller to ensure that these cards are offical sandisk that have magic gate capability. (if they dont they are fakes and no use to you)

Now the next part is programming the card(s) - Follow this guide on how to make a Magic Memory Stick under windows XP or Vista, this does assume you have a way of connecting the PSP or ProDuo card to the PC, if not have a look on eBay for Pro Duo to USB adapter, they should be under £2 inc postage.
(i have included the software you need in a link very shorty)

2. The Pandora (Service) Battery

I have uploaded a two packs for download

Pack 1> Magic Memory Stick Creator [26MB]

• This package has 1 Directory

1. Unpack the file
    2. review the guide posted earlier
    3. read the README.TXT file
    4. run the program "autorun.exe"
    5. Follow onscreen instructions

After you have used the Magic Memory Stick Creator, you should be able to UNLOCK your PSP with the Pandora Battery and the memory stick.

Turn off complete the PSP, insert the memory card, and then remove the existing battery and replace it with the Pandora Battery - if the PSP is CFW friendly it will attempt to load a Firmware from the Memory card. (you will notice the MSProDuo read light flashing)

when present follow the onscreen instructions (press X to continue flashing)

When complete and you have done a reboot, you will have CFW 3.71 installed from here you will need the next package

Pack 2> PSP_Update_Pack [67MB]

• This package has 3 directories

1. 5.00 m33-6
    2. 5.50 GEN D
    3. selplugins

Installing Custom Firmwares

Once you are CFW enabled we can now update your PSP with the following

1. Update for 5.00 M33-6 (needed before 5.50GEN-D) (connect PSP or Card to USB)

• a. Copy the "500.PBP" file from the "5.00 m33-6" directory to the ROOT of the memory card
    b. Copy the "UPDATE" folder from the "5.00 m33-6/5.00M33-6" directory to the "PSP/GAME" on the Memory Card

Now using the PSP navigate to GAME on the XMB, press X and select the UPDATE icon (you will now update to 5.00M33-6)

2. Upadte for 5.50 GEN-D (support 6.x SFW)(connect PSP or Card to USB)

• a. Copy the "550.PBP" file from the "5.50 GEN D" directory to the ROOT of the memory card
    b. Copy the "UPDATE" folder from the "5.50 GEN D\5.50GEN-D\PSP\GAME" directory to the "PSP/GAME" on the Memory Card

Now as above, using the PSP navigate to GAME on the XMB, press X and select the UPDATE icon (you will now update to 5.50 GEND-D)

I have thoroughly tested GEN-D on vairious PSP's now and I am pleased to say its well worth getting upgraded too, its got great legacy support (in the sense none of the old stuff is broken!) and gives you 6.xx OFW Game support =D (includes Gran Turismo) yummy

Whats all this "selplugins" and recovery stuff all about?

well its about software libraries for the POPs (POrtable Playstation) emualtion on the PSP. cutting a long story short not ALL games were complied / converted with the same libraries as such some games wont load without that set in memory so what we need to do is.

1. Copy the "selplugins" directory to the ROOT of the memorycard you have you games on.
2. Completely "TURN OFF" the PSP and restart in Revovery Mode

• Hold down Right Shoulder Button and then turn on the PSP, this will enable the recovery options.

In the recovery Menu

We will enable Games to run from the memory card (without the need for UMD)
Enable selplugins for POPs

1. select [[Configuration ->]] by pressing 'X'
2. highlight [[UMD Mode]] and press 'X' untill it states "( M33 Driver - No UMD)"
3. highlight and select [[Back]]
4. highlight and select [[Plugins ->]]
5. highlight and select [[popsloader.prx [POPS]]] by pressing 'X' to [Enable]
6. highlight and select [[Back]] and then highlight and select [[Exit]]

your PSP will now reboot with POP's fully enabled and PSP games can now run from ISO's from your Game memory Card.

There that lot should helps =D

Now, do you want to know more about PSP emulation?

A while back I did some youtube guides (including how to setup other emu on on retro Gamer)

That should get your gaming glands going =D

Last edited:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
You can make your own "magic" memory stick, can't you? Or do you need an already hacked PSP to make the magic memory stick? I can't remember since I already had a hacked PSP when I made my memory stick.

Thanks!

Heather

You make your own with a pc, card reader and the downloaded files.

Edit: Guess I should have read all the posts before responding. LOL

MeetDKing

Country
USA
Region
Indiana
2. Upadte for 5.50 GEN-D (support 6.x SFW)(connect PSP or Card to USB)

• a. Copy the "550.PBP" file from the "5.50 GEN D" directory to the ROOT of the memory card
    b. Copy the "UPDATE" folder from the "5.50 GEN D\5.50GEN-D\PSP\GAME" directory to the "PSP/GAME" on the Memory Card

Now as above, using the PSP navigate to GAME on the XMB, press X and select the UPDATE icon (you will now update to 5.50 GEND-D)

I have thoroughly tested GEN-D on vairious PSP's now and I am pleased to say its well worth getting upgraded too, its got great legacy support (in the sense none of the old stuff is broken!) and gives you 6.xx OFW Game support =D (includes Gran Turismo) yummy

Good guide. Note that 5.50 GEN-D is up to 5.50 GEN-D3. I'm not sure of all the changes but I had a compatibility issue with a game using D (it wouldn't run) that D3 resolved.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Right, with great thanks to scrappysphinx for the lend of his pandora battery and Memory Stick with the correct files on it, and with great thanks to Zetr0 for the guides for getting the above emulators on the PSP, I've now got in working with custom firmware and with a SNES and a MegaDrive emulator on it.

I've tried the CPS1 emulator and get The game could not be started ( 80020148 ) when I try to start it ..... any ideas?
Also, what other emulators are available?
and finally, is it possible to rip UMDs to ISOs (or equivalent) somehow? (so that I can play them from Memory Stick)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Normally when homebrew cant be started its in the wrong folder. PSP game, or the homebrew 150, 550 folders are normally the ones. Never ripped a UMD but you could try this:

http://sanchit-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-rip-umd-to-iso_15.html

It may be a different button to bring that menu up, cant remember now.
Will give that a try (the different GAME folders)

I've discovered how to rip the UMD disks .... pressing SELECT brings up a menu allowing you to chane USB Mode to UMD instead of Memory Stick.

MeetDKing

Country
USA
Region
Indiana
I have noticed some of my emulators that I was using on M33 no longer worked when I upgraded to GEN-D but haven't really had time to look into it other than to find a more recent version of PSPVice that was compiled for GEN-D (that works great btw). I don't know if that's a requirement or not though. Also you may want to look at the Prometheus addon for GEN-D if you have problems running some of the newest stuff. Either that or you'll have to decrypt and patch but I'm not sure on the exact process.

ChrisG

Country
Germany
Region
Near Frankfurt
VicePSP

VicePSP

@MeedDKing, did you check out VicePSP http://psp.akop.org/vice as an alternative to PSPVice? It comes with an advanced user interface that is also used in other emulators by the same author.
@Woodycool: The good news for you is that your PSP-1000 is compatible with the old firmware 1.50. That means you can install both the old 1.50 and a newer one, selectable at boot time. This is important as there are several old homebrew apps (mostly emulators) that simply don't run with firmwares newer than 1.50.

Top Bottom