question about PC KVM switcher for amiga

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Hi,

I noticed some cheap pc switch boxes and was wondering if I manage to find the right cabling, will 1 pc keyboard with an amiga adapter right after the pc ps/2 keyboard and one pc mouse with the cocolino with db9/ps2 convertor and vice versa will suffice to run two big box amiga's or will the kvm PS/2 switch box kill the amiga mouse / keyboard port?

I know a difficult one..

so I'll draw it:

Bigbox 1 mouse, vga, keyb--> KVM SWITCH --> cocolino/ps2 ps/2 klyra
Bigbox 2 mouse, vga, keyb -->

thanks,

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
if using a KVM switch, I can only recommend an electrical one, stay away from the ones with a manual switch.
the electrical ones don't make any spikes that the manual ones may do

and be sure it's PS/2, most you'll be able to get today are USB

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am only a little afraid that there is some kind of ps/2 emulation on the "not active" amiga and that it kills it' s keyboard and mouse port

thanks for looking

vk3heg

Country
Ballarat
Region
Australia (Down under)
I am only a little afraid that there is some kind of ps/2 emulation on the "not active" amiga and that it kills it' s keyboard and mouse port

thanks for looking

I have and use a "Aten" PS/2 KVM switch with my PC and Amiga 4000 (with Cybervision)..

It's the model: CSD-72E, comes with cables, and does 1280x1024 (rated to 2048x1536) with ease on the pc side. I only have the ami doing 800x600, with very good results.

My ami has the cocolino ps2/klyra combo.

Last edited:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
the electrical KVM switches do have an active connection to the computers attached, this is a benefit compared to the manual switches, since PS/2 can, on the manual kvm, loose it's connection and the computer needs to be rebooted to be able to see it again.

an electrical kvm switch keeps the kvm alive when the computer is on.

I would say that even the cheapest electrical ones can be used as you want it.

off topic:
some KVM switches can actually do a conversion aswell, like if you have a usb keyboard and mouse, these models convert the USB to PS/2.

Top Bottom