Question about several items I'm looking for..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Hello, I'm very new here and just recently returned to the Amiga world from when I was a youngster. I was looking at my Amiga A2000 today and there is a A2091 card in it, and I noticed the ram spots are not populated. I did a check for the ram and found a heading at Vesalia.de, but they are out and don't have an ETA. The question I actually have about this is, does anyone even make this ram any more? Here's the name listed from Vesalia - RAM 1MB D-Ram 414256 - I'm guessing this means 4x4x256KByte memory chips, but I am not really well versed in this hardware technology. Can anyone give me any ideas about this? I would appreciate it. Also on my A4000, I was fiddling with hard drive and noticed that if I wanted to add another hard drive or a CD rom I would need another jumper. The problem I noticed, is that the spare jumpers I have seem to fit larger pins than what is on the hard drive. The hard drive is a Seagate ST3144A 120MB. Does anyone know if this drive required specific jumpers? It's got no space on it because apparently before I purchased the machine, it was used a Video Toaster machine. Still has the Video Toaster Software installed, and I'm not certain what to do with that. Anyways, both machines that I have run beautifully, aside from no keyboard for the A4000 but someone here is already helping me with that. Thank you for all the help so far. Everyone I have talked to here and at Amiga.org have been very nice and patient with me I hope to expand my knowledge, and maybe one day contribute something to the community! Thank you again for any assistance, and all the patience you have shown with me.

Nathan

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Question about several items I'm looking for..

Hello Nathan,

Welcome to AmiBay :)

so lets look at your questions, now... please bare with me (got a head cold lol)

so to begin lets talk;

A2091 RAM :D

as you have discovered it uses 20pin DIP 256k by 4bit memory modules in groups of 4 (0.5MB)

you can get them from here (at the bottom of the page - part#514256)

I have done business with the company on quite a few occasions and they have proven reliable, and with only $5 delivery 'n no minimum order thats a bonus!

you will need to add these chips in groups of 4, for a maximum of 2MB of ram over 16 chips. this would cost around $37 from futurlec, HOWEVER these chips you can salvage from certain A500 upgrades, have a look for the 0.5MB a500 chip ram upgrades that use 20pin chips as these can be scavenged :) these pop up on ebay or here from time to time around $5 mark so slightly cheaper :)... of course you will have to de-solder them :)

Micro Jumper

Okay these are less common than they used to be, but still you can get these on eBay as well as many other places, but here is a luscious (buy it now) eBay linkie

that should solve that problem, however I would suggest getting a much bigger hard disk, perhaps even compact flash :D

I do hope that info helps, please take some pictures of the hardware :D its always good too see :D

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Wow! Thank you so much! That answered both of my questions! I do prefer to purchase the memory new and not have to unsolder the chips, as I have no skill in that whatsoever. Thank you for the link on Ebay as well. I wasn't even certain what the jumpers were called. I need another one, so that I can add an additional hard drive I have lying around. I think it's a 10 Gig. I am planning on getting an IDE board, and I understand I'm supposed to use something called IDEFix from Aminet, and I will undoubtedly need help installing that when I get everything all set up. Thank you again for all the help!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

IDEFix is very easy to install. It has a very good installer that leads you through the process and is very easy to understand and follow.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Hi Nathan & Welcome

If you are after an IDE solution, I suggest the IDE Express as it comes with a fully registered copy of IDEFix97, It also has an additional adapter for your A1200 which speeds up the IDE transfer rate.

Good luck

TC :mrgreen:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have an A1200.... yet :D I do have an A4000 and an A2000HD with the oh so wonderful (apparently from the comments) A2091 Card. However, it appears that the SCSI hard drive is borked as when I try to access programs it says something about suspend or cancel and then I get a software error and the system reboots. Is there an A4000 version of the IDE Express? Thanks for the advice.

Nathan

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Hi Nathan

There is a Buffered IDE interfcae available for the A4000, And would recomend going down the IDE route for your A4000, peripherals are so much cheaper & easier to get hold of.

As for the 2091 in an A4000, I wouldn't bother as it is a Zorro II card and memory access will be slow, Better to expand your 32Bit Fast RAM via the A4000's Simm sockets.

The A2091 would be better suited for the A2000, You can of course go IDE on the A2000 too by using a Buddha IDE Zorro II card which does use the CPU but as the Zorro II slots are not DMA on the A2000 That will not affect performance too much. but beware CF adapters do not work with the Buddha.

Would love to give you some links but I don't think thats allowed however if you google the above names you should find them easily.

Glad you are Getting into the Amiga again.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@TC

my friend, information links (like forums or amiga.resource amiga.hardware) are allowed as are Buy It Now auction links...

links to trading sites have to be approved by the mods i have to say :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Zetro,

Cheers for the head's up mate, I always go by "If in doubt then don't" :LOL:

Has AmiBay approved the 2 well known Amiga stores, I feel we should support them as they do provide a valuable resource for our community.

How you getting on with your A2000, Bet your mind is swimming with all the possibilities,,
If you need any bit's for it let me know we do have my spare to rob, It also has a Trumpcard so If you need a ROM ..etc you know who to call... :)

Speak soon o bearded mighty one.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ TC

We are on the case and are mulling over the possibility of adding an Authorised Traders Forum, where they can have their own dedicated part of the site to advertise in which would be "ringfenced" off from the remainder of the site, so they can only sell items. We need to find out if they are interested first, stay tuned.....

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

For the A4000 I'm just using the built in IDE interface for the moment. The A2000 has the A2091 card and a pc card with a 5.25" floppy drive. I got the hard drive to access the programs the other night. It appears that the previous user had locked the system down by using a disk manager program and I was fooling around with the software and somehow fixed the issue. Hard drive works great now considering it's a 54meg SCSI I drive. :) Anyway, on those two cards. What is the specific name for them? You said Buddha correct? I will have to put up a wanted ad when I have the money. And is the A4000 interface just called a Buffered IDE interface card or are there many different brands and that's just a general term? By the way. I just picked up 30-40 games on floppy from a friend of mine who had an A600. He was willing to give me the Amiga as well but it won't even turn on, so I'm working slowly on it now. I would like to get an a1200 and towerize it just to say I did. Since I got the games I've been playing pretty much nonstop on the A2000, which is why I haven't posted recently. I've been getting a kick out of revisiting Eye of the Beholder. I used to play this game on my PC when we first got it back in 1994. The music certainly sounds much better on the Amiga. By the way, Evil garden - it's a very fun centipede clone. Check it out if you haven't played it.

Nathan

AmigaManiac

Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ Nathan from Nathan :LOL:

I have an excellent contact/supplier. I have bought new ZIP RAM chips from him before. He may have the RAM that you are after - new :wink:

I'll get back to you with a quote price per 2MB (if he has some) once I find out the part number etc :wink:

Nathan

AmigaManiac

Country
Australia.
Region
Lithgow, NSW

@ Nathan

I found the exact RAM you need :D I'll get back to you when I hear from my supplier :wink:

Nathan

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Thanks for looking into that ram for me, I appreciate the information. I am thinking I'm going to go with a Zorro II IDE interface card, and I'm starting to look around for an accelerator for my A2000. The A4000 is nice, but there are problems with a lot of the old boxed games I have. A couple won't even install, like the Colonel's Bequest. That worked fine on the old Amiga I had growing up. I think it might have to do with either the AGA Chipset, or the Kickstart. Also, I think one of the Joystick ports might be damaged on my A4000, but I don't know how to test it. All I have are a couple of Atari Mega ST 4 joysticks that my friend gave me when he gave me his Atari. They don't go up in the Amiga, but I don't know if it's an incompatible pin out on the joysticks or a bad port. I need to get a joystick at some point in time, but it's low on my list. Funds are a little tight around here right now. If anyone knows about an affordable or slightly less expensive A2000 accelerator, please let me know. Thanks for all the help so far in my endeavour to relive my youth!

Nathan

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Thanks for the program Meega. I have downloaded it and I will try it out tonight to see if it shows joystick failure or port failure.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

I have used the program to test the port and to my dismay, the port does not seem to track vertically. I have no up and down movement on the mouse when I transferred the ports. I must have damaged it with one of the joysticks(?), or it may have been damaged when I purchased it. Sigh, is there any way to fix this, or is there a workaround like a card with additional joystick ports on it that I can purchase? Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Nathanieltolbert said:
The A4000 is nice, but there are problems with a lot of the old boxed games I have. A couple won't even install, like the Colonel's Bequest. That worked fine on the old Amiga I had growing up. I think it might have to do with either the AGA Chipset, or the Kickstart.

Is is a combination of the AGA chipset, newer kickstart rom, and different ram configuration compared to earlier Amigas.

Luckily there are many solutions to get most older games to work. Downgraders often work well, as does disabling the cache from the Amiga's early boot menu (hold down both mouse buttons when you switch it on).

But the best solution is WHDLoad. This allows nearly every game on the Amiga to be installed to HD, and it has a built in downgrader which makes nearly every game work perfectly from HD on an AGA Kickstart 3.0+ Amiga.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

Yes, I can do that, but I also have a revision 6.2 or 6.3 (2nd number is difficult to read :p )A2000HD with the old A2088XT bridgeboard and 2 Meg memory expansion. This should be enough, it's just the stupid 80Meg hard drive is failing. I'm on track to get a Buddha IDE card and will use an old 10 Gig Hard drive I have here, and that should facilitate my ability to play my old games. I have played around with WHDLoad a lot and there are too many games that do not work right or won't start or that don't display on the screen for some reason. Very specific, when attempting to whdload the Colonel's Bequest, it fails in the middle of the disk transfer. I have indeed installed that on the A2000HD I have before the Hard drive started to fail and it worked perfectly fine, and I try very hard to take care of my disks. Considering I have lived in America my whole life, and the games don't appear to be European, I cannot fathom as to why some work and some don't. The only game I can think of that I have that is probably British is the Chaos Engine, and a friend of mine gave that to me, so I don't know where it came from.

*edit* Considering how long I have been away from Amiga computers, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I am doing something wrong while trying to configure WHDLoad. I will continue to try it out, but I don't really have a lot of games (about 40 or so) and all of them will run on the A2000HD as far as I know. Until I get some games that can only run on the A4000, I don't have much I really like to do with it. *edit*

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom