Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.

I have juste bought a Gygabite NUC barebone to at last have a device connected to my TV for Steam streaming.

I prefer to use Windows 7 or 8, rather than a Linux OS.

However, i don't want to buy an expensive license for this.

I am wondering if i am allowed to reuse the Win 7 Home license from my Toshiba laptop. This OS has been updated to Win 7 Pro on top of Home (upgrade within windows, without reformatting) with a Pro licence key i got later.

If i use in the new computer my original key from the sticker under my laptop, which of course has already been activated, would it cause a problem to my laptop, or would it be considered by Microsoft as a pirate key? Or does the Pro license have definitly replaced the Home license in my laptop?

I would also like to know if the cheap Windows 8.1 with Bing might be bought somewhere by the end user.

Thanks for your help.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.
Yes, i have thougt of that, but it seems the preview is scheluded to stop from booting in october. Could it be converted in a full free licence by then?

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Sadly, no. The license on your laptop is OEM and cannot be transferred to another device. If the laptop is still in use and regularly receiving updates, the 2nd activation process would almost certainly fail anyway.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
As said already the OEM terms say that license must stay with that laptop and not be used with any other machine

That being said i have used my Lenovo OEM license from my laptop to install Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop pc and activated it. I had to use telephone activation and when it asked how many computers it was installed on i said 1. Both machines are now activated and working fine and have been for quite a while.

The really annoying thing is i actually own a Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack which allows installation using 1 license on 3 pcs but it refuses to activate on more than one machine and when i contacted microsoft they told me to lie to the automated activation telephone line and say it was only installed on 1

Last edited:

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
there are 2 main oem licences.
SLP and NonSLP
laptops usually come with a SLP oem key and are matched to the hardware, but they do not always come with an slp oem key, sometimes they come with a non slp oem key.

regarding the non slp oem keys. these are not locked to the system/hardware, so you can install them on anything you like..
These usually come with a 3rd party pre built pc. (not dell or hp, but other smaller companys that build a system you asked them to build)
The EULA of windows however does state that the OEM key must stay with the machine/hardware it came with. or was installed on the 1st time..
But the non slp ones can be moved to a new machine..

"think of it as upgrading the original machine by replacing all the parts at the same time; rather than replacing the original machine"
You are allowed to upgrade every single part of your pc and still use the same nonslp oem key. and i dont see any where specifying you cant upgrade every single part at the same time as opposed to one by one like most would do, So technically that is a loop hole that you can happily exploit. provided you remove windows from the original machine..

The only issue with that is you cannot sell the original machine with the oem key, you cannot sell the oem key separately, and you really aren't supposed to remove the sticker. although that is what you would seemingly have to do if you did install your nonslp oem key on a new machine.
The keys cannot be used on 2 systems at the same time unless it was a key specifically bought for that purpous..

And in your situation. if you upgraded from 1 version of windows to a better version for less money because you had windows already, and they took note of the key you were using then it may not activate whilst the pro version is activated either.

Last edited:

RichyV

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
This is only 'half-true'.

The SLP key will be what it was preinstalled with - you cannot even PHYSICALLY use this with other hardware, let alone legally. But you also cannot use this yourself as it's the property of the OEM themselves within their Volume Licensing agreement with MS.

The non-SLP is the one you would use if a failure came about and you had to reinstall. Users can activate this and it is not physically tied to the hardware BUT it should still ONLY be used on the hardware it came with (the very heart of OEM licensing...) AND both licenses should NEVER be used at the same time, as this is also breaking the OEM license agreement.

Being able to do something DOES NOT necessarily make it legal.

And this scenario you've described is not.

ShambleS1980

AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
but it is legal..

if you upgrade your gpu.. It is ok to keep using the oem key.
then your mother board dies so you upgrade the mother board You are allowed to do that..
Yo dont like your case so you buy a new case And put your computer in that "you are allowed to do that"
your hard disk dies.
so you upgrade or replace it.. you are allowed to do that.
You want more ram so you upgrade that you are allowed to do that.
you want a better cpu, so you upgrade that "you are allowed to do that"
your power supply is A bit weak so you upgrade that (again you are allowed to do that)
Your dvd player dies so you buy a new one. "you are allowed to do that"

now you do not have a single component from the machine that the oem was originally installed on. But you are allowed to do that. totally legally and all you have to do is re activate after every new component..

now show me where it says it is illegal to upgrade all the components at the same time.

Using 2 licences at the same time however is illegal..

But with your version of oem licencing. you would have to buy a new windows afeter ever single component upgrade, and windows would not allow you to re activate after a component change..
But they do because you are allowed to do that..
you phone them and say i upgraded my mother board and cpu and want to reactivate my key please. then they will let you.

i would like to know exactly what part of "hardware" you believe is the part that has to always be used..

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Thans for your answers.
I need to precise that the second licence key i have installed on my Toshiba laptop (Win 7 Pro) is not a key that i bought for less money as upgrade from Home Family, but a full key that i got through the Microsoft Academic Alliance from the university i was working for by that time.
Unfortunately, i am not allowed to use this service anymore to get a free key.

So, i don't know if that new full key has replaced the original full key or not. Anyway, if the Home Family OEM key is linked to my hadware, i am stuck.

So, if 8.1 Bing is not available for the end user, i might indeed check the 10 Preview or maybe go for SteamOS.

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I got an MSDNAA license for XP a while back and back then the terms were that I could use it indefinitely as a full license on one device, but I would not be allowed to receive updates to it after I left the University. This may have been changed with later Windows versions though. I think if you remove the Win7Pro installation from your laptop and revert it to the original Home edition, you can use it on the NUC.

For the OEM license on the laptop, as many others write, it may not be transferred to another PC.

RichyV

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
It's quite straightforward and spelled out within many MS documents.

But the crux of what we are discussing can be summarized with three points, all taken from official documentation:

Transfer of License
Once a Windows or Server OEM System Builder software license has been installed, it may not be transferred to or installed on another PC even if the PC is no longer in use. The end-user license is permanently tied to the original computer system on which it was first installed.

2.System Builder software cannot be used for legalization:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
System Builder software cannot be used to legalize unlicensed Windows software on existing PCs.

Component Upgrades/Replacements and the System Builder End-User License
The motherboard is the component that determines whether or not a new Windows license is required.

Motherboard upgrades or replacements, [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]for reasons other than a defect replacement with an identical series motherboard[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT], require a new operating system license.

If you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical motherboard, a new operating system license is not required. However, the replacement motherboard must be the same make and model or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty

If transferring a refurbished PC to a new user, the software license, media, COA and manuals must all be transferred together.
Hopefully this will clear things up for all those that have this query.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

ShambleS1980

AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
strange that because if you phone them and tell them you upgraded the motherboard they will reactivate your nonslp key for you.. "no messing about no nonscence, they just do it"

hell they even gave you sysprep so you can run sysprep and a totally different motherboard and cpu combo will get installed without having to reinstall windows at all.
and you can just use the online activation without even having to phone them.

a slp oem key has to have the same hardware.. and you cannot change the motherboard or activation will fail.

a noslp key is however NOT tied to the hardware "as is decribed by the noslp suffix"
perhaps the eula you are reading from is for slp oem keys.

I have never had an issue with changing noslp oem keys from device to device.
you can also buy oem noslp windows disks if you build your own computer from parts. (even if its just 1 computer)
before windows 7 you could buy an oem windows disk "XP/VISTA/ETC" to install on your old dell windows 98 pc and that was fine too.
but when windows 7 came out you had to buy retail or build your own pc to buy an oem disk.
the classification for windows system builder oem purchases is pretty straight forward.. You have to build the pc from parts (i.e not bought as a pre assembled system) but even then the person who pre assembled it for you can install a oem windows for you.

Last edited:

RichyV

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Believe me, I've been in this business for 17 years and NOTHING they do surprises me.

Long before XP died, support-wise, (so think "when Vista arrived..."), downgrade rights to XP were being taken-up at a staggering pace, especially within businesses. I was 'officially' told by MS themselves to 'ask a mate' who has a license and input that to install XP onto a machine that came with UNWANTED Vista! Lol!!

They ARE flexible, and there are legal 'loopholes' that they will even help you with. It's more about managing expectations. :)

RichyV

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Oh and, BTW, all of this pales into insignificance compared to my experience this year...

After 2 1/2 years at my current job, I was 'given' the IT Dept. to run(!).

Number 1: Mid-January and I'm made aware of a Microsoft audit of our use of Volume Licensing (How does this land on me..? Gulp!)

Number 2: I find, during my pre-audit audit (if you see what I mean...) 35 unlicensed, 'under the radar' instances of Server 2008 R2!

Number 3: Sob uncontrollably (!) and then quickly purchase Server 2012 Datacenter...

Number 3: Move all instances to Hyper-V

Number 4: RELAX (until the next 'fire' breaks out!) :D

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
If the license is academic, as most seem to have missed, then yes you can transfer it. The academic licenses are licensed to students for learning purposes, and can be placed on any machine you like so long as its only activated on one at a time. I have a number of them myself, curtesy of Dreamspark.

You may have to use the automated system to activate it if the old machine has been online anytime in the last few months though, just to let the servers know that it's no longer in use on anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and, BTW, all of this pales into insignificance compared to my experience this year...

After 2 1/2 years at my current job, I was 'given' the IT Dept. to run(!).

Number 1: Mid-January and I'm made aware of a Microsoft audit of our use of Volume Licensing (How does this land on me..? Gulp!)

Number 2: I find, during my pre-audit audit (if you see what I mean...) 35 unlicensed, 'under the radar' instances of Server 2008 R2!

Number 3: Sob uncontrollably (!) and then quickly purchase Server 2012 Datacenter...

Number 3: Move all instances to Hyper-V

Number 4: RELAX (until the next 'fire' breaks out!) :D

Nice save! lol.

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Ok, i have been able to buy a cheap unused license from Ebay, which seems to be legit. That makes Win 7 Pro for 10 EUR. I am waiting for the key, and will install my NUC this week-end.
7 should be better than 8.1 because i have read that the XBox360 wireless controller does not work fine with 8.1.

It seems a lot a Microsoft keys are sold for cheap on Ebay.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That's because a lot of keys on eBay are fake. I really hope you have not wasted your money here.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
theres also a hack "cough" for windows XP to enable it to recieve security updates until around 2019. you (google it) edit your registry to fool the update server into thinking your basically a "Till" or "cash register" which most still run on XP and require security updates. remember to back up before trying this incase Microsoft closes the hole :D

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hey!
The windows license from Ebay is working great and has been activated online as genuine.
The seller even accepted to retake the Pro license in exchange for a Home Premium, because i couldn't activate Home with the Pro key. Indeed, i only have the iso file for 7 Home Premium 64 bits SP1 and can't find anywhere the other legit iso.
It seems that Microsoft has removed access for these Windows 7 files on their server and a lot of people seems to complain about that these days. I'm not talking about image files that can be found on illegal channels, but of the original Microsoft files.

Anyway, that Gigabyte NUC is doing great with this version of Windows, some old parts lying around and a few softwares. Skyrim (Steam streaming from my main computer) has never been so nice on my Panasonic plasma TV.

Top Bottom