Question: Need Help Deciding

dawnstar

Country
United States
Region
California
Okay - I've spent quite a small fortune in the past two months beefing up my A1200 and A2500 to relatively modest modern specs ... And now? Now one of them must go :)

Since you guys are the GURUs I'd like your input ...

A1200 w/
3.1 40.68 ROMs
AmigaOS 3.9
GVP A1230 Turbo+ w/8MB
IDE2CF 4GB
MK2cr Scan Doubler
EasyNet PCMCIA Net
EastADF PCMCIA CF

-- or --

A2500 w/
3.1 40.63 ROM
AmigaOS 3.9
GVP G-Force 040 w/16MB
Picasso IV
AD516
X-Surf-100 Net
Rapid Road USB
Newtek Video Toaster w/3.0 Disks
Faroujdja YC Separator
DPS TBC IV Plus
and on order a SCSI2SD w/4x2GB partitions
and soon a ROM Switcher 1.3/3.1

One of these will be sold soon - thoughts guys?

Cheers,
Karyn

ratfink

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
a2500 - higher spec - but do you need it other than for bragging rights, bigger, hard to replace if you ever change your mind, probably hard to get parts for if anything breaks

a1200 - smaller, maybe can do all you need and more, easy to get parts for, easy to replace if you change your mind

Personally I would think hard before selling the 2500.

Not a guru btw ;)

Last edited:

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
I would keep the 2500, but,,,, do you want/need AGA support & better compatibility with games ?? if so keep the 1200 (due to 030 and AGA)

If you want more power, expandability and not bothered about AGA or compatibility with older games then keep the 2500.

it's personal choice really, which do you prefer the most?

That's a nice spec'd 2500 would be a shame to part with that one, A1200 are quite common and you can change you mind at a later date.

Last edited:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
It depends on what you want out of the your Amigas.

If all you do is play games, I'd keep hold of the A1200, but like ratfink says, you'll find it more difficult to replace the A2500 if you sell it due to less of them being around (and those that do have them don't want to part with them) - but if you have more use than just a gaming platform and/or you don't mind not having AGA chipset, then partining with the A1200 might be the better choice.

If you change your mind later, it'll be far easier to replace/buy anohter A1200 later on.

For me, if I had the choice, I'd part with the A1200. but saying that, at the time the Amiga was in it's prime (back in the day) I had an A500+ and didn't move up to an A1200 at all when it came out. I never experienced the AGA chipset (A1200/A4000/CD32) until I got my first A1200 in 2003. When I do use one of my Amigas, I immediately go for my A500+ or my A1500, the A1200 doesn't get thought about until later.

At the end of the day, it's up to you ..... which one are you more attached to?

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
it wont be easy to decide which one must go...

i would just keep them both,lol

seriously though,it all depends on what you want from the one you keep.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I always think that if you can't decide then at the back of your mind you really don't want to get rid of either of them.

Instead I would suggest you keep them both for 3-6 months and use them, then take a step back and consider which one you actually used the most and keep that one.

Personally I would keep the A1200, but that is mainly because I use mine for gaming mostly these days.

You have some nice hardware in the A2500, especially the graphics card and X-surf, which would be hard to find another later. An alternative idea could be to get an A4000 and use some of the hardware from the A2500 in it, then sell the A2500 and A1200. It would give you the best of both worlds.

Arnie

Country
UK
Region
Leicester
I would sell both and buy an A4000, best of both worlds?

dawnstar

Country
United States
Region
California
I want to thank everyone for their input - yes indeed the 2500 is being sold. Basically going to recover what I put into it and keep the A1200 and hope for an 060/PPC in the future?

Thank you all once more ...

Best Regards,
Karyn

dawnstar

Country
United States
Region
California
UPDATE: So I posted up all my A2500 goodies to ebay - 040, IV, AD516 etc - so in this process I was watching another's AD516 and it just sold for just over $100 - no way I'm going to watch 'my' goods go for 1/5 what I paid for them - this is good news/bad news - I needed the cash, but not that bad :) So canceled all but those cards that didn't have bids on them. I guess it's too much to ask to find an excited 'over' bidder like myself ... So now it's time to find uses for these beasts ... So my A2500 still has it's GVP G-Force 040 w/16MB, the Picasso IV and the AD516 - and the other goodies such as networking, usb, toaster, tbc and Y/C sep card. Really could use 4x16 GVP RAMs :)

Such drama ...

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Don't forget we don't discuss prices here :)

id really think twice about ppc on the 1200... It's a mine field. Pop an 060 in the 2500 and enjoy the Amiga

Top Bottom