question to ebay traders, advice asked

Marcuz

Country
Biella
Region
Italy
hello, i hope this question is not against the spirit of AmiBay; i just thought to ask it here because at least some, that i know, of the traders here were / are using ebay semi professionally.

I just started to use it to sell some of my little paintings, and since today ebay had free auctions as a promo, i ended up having about 25 running just now.

i don't aim to over blown price for them, just to sell them to allow me to dedicate time and energies to this painting diary pet project.
So basically i should need some visibility.

I thought of places where i could make the links circulate, and the auctions are linked from my blog AheadForDinci! too, but a) i'm strongly averse to spamming and, as much important, b) i don't want to be tied to boards or groups of amateur painters, because as a visual artist i would be professionally shot then :/

Do you have any suggestion?

thank you very much!

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Well this is a starting point for you as you already have a little free advertising :)

Ther is nothing stopping you puting your blog address in your signature at the bottom.

Gary

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It can be really hard to find a good outless to sell original artwork. And I don't think ebay will ever be the best one. In fact I don't think there really has been a good online way yet for original art.

The best way is to get yourself known so that people then want to buy your work. Getting commisions to paint something commercially is the obvious best way, but quite hard to get a foot in the door. Online sites offering the ability to offer your work within commercial photo/artwork/clipart catalogues, such as Photodisc is something else to consider. So you get money for designers and studios using your artwork within they own work.

I know none of these suggestions are directly what you are really looking for, but they are really the only online approach to artwork selling. Original art sales still works best in real galleries and exhibition spaces.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Marcuz

Maybe you should create a website which can be used to host the links you describe; it sounds like you've uncovered a gap in the market....;)

Marcuz

Country
Biella
Region
Italy
Thank you for the input guys!

about the point of marketing artwork on the www: no there are actually artists doing it successfully as a dayjob, and on ebay or other venues, but i cannot afford to do that since i already try to build myself a job with real galleries proposing different stuff.

On the www there's so much people trying to do the same as these successful cardboard painters that it get lost in the sea.

The same goes with my blog, as there are many like mine... oh well! i suppose i could at least make it a little better looking.

Thank you for the answers anyway :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
expo

expo

We sell our photo's by organising an expo, and ask other photo clubs to come, and sell to friends, parents etc..

Also local expo's, small local musea, almost every event that can be used, even in pubs! (culture events)

The thing is we do a very strict and strong selection, so they like to have us..

You can start localy in your pub perhaps?

Don't think ebay will do much good.

Marcuz

Country
Biella
Region
Italy
both are great suggestions actually!

about the pub thing, i have just talked with a friend who would be interested in orgamizing something like that, and i've also registered to redbubble for the prints. it's a great site for that, i think.

thank you guys! :)

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
almost every event that can be used, even in pubs! (culture events)

One local pub here in Oslo have paitings for sale hanging on the wall permanently.

They have a tiny for sale sticker on them, and you can ask the people working there what the price is.

When it's sold it get's it's little red dot, and then after a few days a new painting is hung in it's place.

Brilliant solution I think.

Marcuz

Country
Biella
Region
Italy
It is! there aren't many suitable pubs in the area, but i will enquire with the proprietors

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've been using DeviantART since it began, and it is a great site. However it is more an artist and designers gallery community, rather than a sales outlet. It is however a brilliant way to get feedback about your work from peers and to share and discuss ideas.

Regardless of an online presence, to become known and to generate interest in purchasing your work, having it exhibited anywhere in the real world, with links to your online site is a good way to advertise. Flyers showcasing your work with a web address on is another good way.

soulslinga

Country
Ocean Township NJ / USA
try etsy & print society!

try etsy & print society!

I have a few ideas - one great website, the Print Society (printsociety.com) compiles artwork from great up and coming artists, and makes prints available to buy for reasonable prices ($60, etc) - its a great way to get your name out there.

One alternative to ebay to consider is Etsy (etsy.com) which is like ebay, but everything for sale is hand made (usually by the seller). Its a really cool site, a great place to buy art, and a great place to make your presence as an artist.

and finally try twitter - (i know) - but people have found success there. Start following art galleries, artists you admire, buyers, bloggers, anyone related to art - see what they're up to, then start tweeting some links to your own work - you never know, someone may notice. A blog would also help work alongside your twitter page (posting images you're working on, etc).

hope that helps!

Top Bottom