Questions about SAM

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi all

Does anyone here have any experience with the SAM boards?

Im asking because Im really not sure about buying one. I wanna try out OS4.1 and have briefly tinkered with it on a SAM but its a very expensive outlay for something I may not end up using a lot. I think I will though as Im really curious about the next generation.

So my questions are:

Some say it is underpowered, how so?? Is OS4 slow on it or are they talking about apps loading and running slowly?

Is there anyone here that uses it day to day? Are you finding any quirks?

I know web browsers are reasonably well catered for (or seem to be) on OS4, how are they performance wise? Sluggish or reasonably nippy?

There is a 667Mhz model and a 733Mhz system, I think theyre actually slightley different motherboards (is it EP and EPFlex?). Is there any major difference between these, performance wise? Can the 667Mhz version be overclocked?

Any other information or advice would be greatly appreciated (y)

Taj

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Dieter Groppé (current MCP developer) used one this year after his A1 developed a hard to spot fault on the CPU board (Cosmos is trying to fix it ATM).

He didn't like it at all, not stable and some serious issues with keyboards and mice (USB).

But the mileage will vary. Some people used the SAM440 with MorphOS and then the board is brilliant.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
AROS is X86, MorphOS is PPC (the same as WarpOS & OS4.x)

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Ah, but there is a PPC Aros for SAM. And MOS Team doesn't like SAM, they say it's under powered and too expensive. But they say that about all hw that isn't second hand.

If some ppl have tried MOS on SAM it has to be an internal beta or secret hack/crack.

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Ah, but there is a PPC Aros for SAM. And MOS Team doesn't like SAM, they say it's under powered and too expensive. But they say that about all hw that isn't second hand.

If some ppl have tried MOS on SAM it has to be an internal beta or secret hack/crack.

Thats what I keep hearing, its "underpowered". I want to know whether that is actually true or just opinion :) The SAM may well run all apps brilliantly but look underpowered by the numbers, I just dont want to spend £600 quid finding out! LOL!

Puni/Void

AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Vestfold
Hi there Tajmaster,

I've used a SAM440EP system for a few months and it's working OK.

The OS itself looks very polished, which I'm sure you can tell from the different screenshots out there. A lot of work has been put into this by the developers.

The Workbench itself is both responsive and highly configurable.

When people say the SAM is underpowered, they're most likely referring to stuttering apps and games, as the OS itself is very responsive. I'll have to admit that a lot of the software I've tried is not exactly fast and I've had problems running different applications at an acceptable speed. A lot of the stuff are ports from Linux for example. Running many tasks at once can slow down the computer. E-UAE is not the fastest, due to missing JIT. :(

The browsers are OK. Ibrowse is fast, but not very compatible with modern pages, which makes it difficult to use in 2010. OWB is much more compatible, but a bit slower. Timberwolf is in production and looks promising, but don't know when the next version will be out. Stuff like YouTube doesn't work properly yet, but will hopefully be supported in the future. The speed in general s OK.

Talking about Internet.. Yet Another Mailer (YAM) is a fantastic e-mail client. Works like a charm on AmigaOS 4. :)

I own the 667mHz version myself, but I don't know how it compares to the 733mHz. Maybe someone could make a benchmark or something? Don't know about overclocking, sorry.

You can run AROS, Linux and AmigaOS 4 on the SAM. People are saying it works great with dual-booting.

I've got a SAM for sale right now in this forum by the way.. You can find it here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7925

Hope this was of some help. :)

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi Puni/void

Thats just the info I was looking for mate, thank you (y) A guy on Amiga.org said something similar but not in as much detail as you did :)

I think I may just sit on it for a while and go for one of the faster SAMs in the near future, although Id love the X1000 but its far too expensive :(

Thanks for all your advice :)

Taj

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
The SAM like any other modern Amiga solution is always going to attract this negative jibberish...

I've been an Amiga User since 1986 and I have never used anything else or brought anything else... So for years I was left using one of my Amigas without any improvement in OS or whatever... Then eventually I made the step to PPC and used AmigaOS4 for quite some time too...

Then I got a 667 SAM... which is now in an antistatic bag as I am typing this message on my 800 SAM Flex... this is turn will end up in another bag when I get a X1000

My perception is completely different from most Amiga users of the past because they moved on because they didn't want to stand still... fair enough... trouble is look what its done to your brain... LOL

The SAM and the next line of NG Amigas are simply what the Amiga would have eventually evolved into... people like to think the older Amiga models are classic and the newer ones are completely different... of course all the history is static inbetween but it cant be any other way...

If you need to ask about the SAM and how viable it is etc, then you really haven't got the "Amiga Spirit" or any left if you did... It's no big deal it's just what's happened to most Amiga people of the past because it had too given there choice of direction...

It's okay, but the reality is you can NEVER get back to where I have never left...

AmigaOS is awesome, it always will be and as I preached as an Amiga Elitest for years (I guess I'll always be very pro Amiga, but why the hell not! I'm not arguing about the power verses today I'm simply saying I don't give ONE about what the joes's up the road are using or have and it hasn't hindered my ability to enjoy life) AmigaOS doesn't need anyone or anything it'll be right... and see what's going on? ...of course these other damn imitations... I ignore it all but the lost Amigans... hell, they are easy cannon fodder... It could be a bit like God made man wonder the deserts for 40 years... ;)

But in saying all this, perhaps you could just get back in the groove? :nod:

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
Hi Guys

Hi Guys

HI
I have just received my Sam 440 800 mhz she is looking great bar one thing can't get her to connect to the internet. keep getting DNS errors in I browse.

Anyone any Ideas

Al

Virge

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Aveiro
Did you tried add primary and secundary DNS of your internet provider?

Regards
Pedro

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
You will need to go into Preference and run the network setup wizard. Unfortunately its not like a PC/Mac/Linux where you just plug the cable. The wizard is easy however, just "next" all the way through it (y)

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
HI Everyone
Yeah tried all that but still no go, keep getting that DNS error in Ibowrse.

I use Virgin Media broadband and wonder if it is something to do with that, I have always been able to get my classic machines onto the web just not this so I reckon its just a setting.

Only thing I can think of is the DNS I have tried manual setup using 192.168.0.10 as Computer IP, 192.168.0.1 as Dns and Gateway setting and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

can anyone think of another reason. I know the Sam is OK so its me :picard

Al

apa

Country
Sweden
Region
Uppsala
Has anyone tried debian ppc/linux mint ppc or a bsd ppc as a dualboot on their SAM? Just curious if it works..

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
HI Everyone

I use Virgin Media broadband and wonder if it is something to do with that, I have always been able to get my classic machines onto the web just not this so I reckon its just a setting.

Only thing I can think of is the DNS I have tried manual setup using 192.168.0.10 as Computer IP, 192.168.0.1 as Dns and Gateway setting and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Al

Have you got any further with this?

Is the OS a clean install? If not, it might have the previous owners network config??

Also, try 192.168.4.100 & 192.168.8.100 for your DNS server address (I think thats the default on Virgin Media cable connections) (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I never had a sam, but have amiga one g3 and classic ppc the os itself is fast enough, en the beta firefox works well on my g3. Some ports from linux are slow. But that can be expected.. If you need a lot of ports like firefox I would not recommend it. They tend to be older then can be had on ubuntu. The amiga os itself is quite fast even on classic ppc and looks very nice. So it all depends what you are going to do with it.

Personally I would never, never buy a sam because, well you can guess why. To put it straight I don't see added value reflected..

HI Everyone

Al

Have you got any further with this?

Is the OS a clean install? If not, it might have the previous owners network config??

Also, try 192.168.4.100 & 192.168.8.100 for your DNS server address (I think thats the default on Virgin Media cable connections) (y)

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
Hi Guys
Sorry I dropped off the grid there lol. OK well it is the DNS and the 4.100 address is the right one, only reason I know is once I installed patch pack 5 the network wizard worked correctly, at least I am sort of working did the elf patch last night I think its 53.3 and now my Sam boots to a blank screen ahhh. Going to reinstall again tonight after work.

Does anyone know of a thread on the UAE side of OS4.1 when I run mine its sooooo slooow.

Kind regards

AL(y)

Top Bottom