R.I.P. A2000HD 1989-2010 - My Fault

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
The title says it all. My first Amiga that I purchased to get back into Amiga computers has died today, and it is all my fault. Let me tell you the gruesome tale. It all started with to Memory add-ons for the A2000/A500. I found then while looking through various items for placement here. I offered to test them and I carefully went out to the internet and found the instructions. One is a DCE MiniMeg chip and the other was a DKB MegAChip. Appearance wise they both looked (notice looked) fine. So I borrowed a PLCC chip remover and went home to carefully prise the chip loose. Everything seemed okay. I lined up the notch on the PLCC slot and inserted the DCE MiniMeg chip first. I then carefully removed the Gary chip and inserted the chip socket. I then carefully put the Gary back in. No sweat 15 minutes while reading the instructions going slow making certain that I did it right. So I re-attach the Power supply only and test the system with a power on. Nothing. Black screen. "Hmm, that's strange, maybe I didn't do something right?" So I unplug the power and check the manual (in German no less :)) look at the pictures and verify that I have everything plugged in properly. I push down on the chips to make certain that they are firmly seated. Everything seems alright. Okay plug in and try again. Red flashing screen. Huh... Right time to call Ed. "Red screen indicates ROM error if I remember correctly he said"
"Okay, I have a 2.04 ROM hanging out I will try it. Maybe I damaged my 3.1 ROM." I swap it out. Now I turn on the machine. Green, then Yellow, then Red, then Purple, then a light purple. What did I do? I stood there scratching my head, confused. I carefully removed the MiniMeg, thinking it's either a PAL model or it's dead. I take the MegAChip, print the directions off (in English this time, thank goodness.) and proceed to follow them, attaching the little clip to pin on the Gary Chip. Boot up. Black screen. Nothing. Hrmm. Okay. Try attaching the clip to the pin on the 68K. Boot up. Nothing but a black screen.
"Oh boy," I thought, "I really screwed it up this time." I pulled the MegAChip out and replace my Agnus. Booted the machine. Red Screen. Crap. Pulled Agnus again and checked the pins. Everything looked good. I looked at the socket. One of the pins didn't look like the others. Crap. Using my micro driver kit, I used my flat head screw driver to straighten out the pin and make it look more like the other points of contact on the socket. I carefully line up the Agnus chip and try again. Green screen. Crap. Power off, push down the Agnus firmly and power on. Yellow screen. Crap. So a long story short, it appears I have fried my A2000. I just used it earlier today before trying to test the MiniMeg chips so I know it was working. It's my fault and now I know why everyone kept saying be careful with those PLCC sockets. I have ruined my A2000, and I have no one to blame but myself. On the Upside, the 3.1 ROM is working fine and has migrated to my Accelerated A600. Sadly somehow I managed to break the red wire which indicates that the power is turned on. Crap, so I have to have that fixed next. Just wasn't my day today I guess. Silly Mondays. I guess I am going to have some A2000 Parts to sell soon. :LOL: A wise man once told me, "You have to laugh at the absurdity of it or you would just go crazy." That's certainly how I feel today. I hope everyone else is having a decent Monday.

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
Don't give up all hope yet. Someone may be able to help with advice and/or parts. :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Awww... :oops: I'm so very sorry to hear about this. Maybe it can be sent somewhere to to be fixed?

That is a crappy Monday.

Heather

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Nathan

This sounds like a crushed Agnus Socket Pin,

You could spend some time in the light trying to bend it back but it might be too far gone. I would suggest replacing the socket, as this is likely to be the only fault.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I'm pretty sure you are right Zetro. And thanks for the support everyone. I thankfully don't have far to go to have it fixed if I want to. I can just take it to Ed and he can help me with it. The problem is I still don't know if the minimegs work, so I cannot post them for sale! :mad: Oh well.

-Edit- SDG, can you take a picture of the connection point on your A600 of where the wires connect to the front display? I don' know where the Red wire needs to be re-attached to. It's going to be my first attempt at solder work, I figure I can't screw this up too badly. Thanks.

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I agree with my good friend Keith: the Agnus socket had enough. Swap it, since at this age the socket is very brittle and cracks for next to nothing.

Also both MegAchip & MiniMegiChip have a male socket that stress the poor original socket.

Replace it and all will be fine again.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Change the agnus socket... it's a pain to do, but it might sort things out. Take time, don't rush. You can extract the pins one by one using a soldering iron and needle nosed pliers to bend the pins straight so you can get a grip on them from above.

Good luck, it's not dead!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Nathan, remember this: It's an Amiga. It takes a lot more than that to kill one :)

Best of luck in resurrecting her. I'm sure you'll have a fully-functioning A2000 back in no time.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Nathan

Remember, the A2000's are "Military Spec" ((c) Doomy), so it really takes a lot to take them down for good...

I'm sure that it can be fixed and it will live again...

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
-Edit- SDG, can you take a picture of the connection point on your A600 of where the wires connect to the front display? I don' know where the Red wire needs to be re-attached to. It's going to be my first attempt at solder work, I figure I can't screw this up too badly. Thanks.
More than happy to help you out! I'll take the pictures tonight when I get home. :)

Heather

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Nathan,

I hope these are the pictures you needed. :)

Thanks!

Heather

Attachments

• DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00966.jpg
    DSC00966.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Thank you! The second picture is exactly what I needed. It doesn't look too hard to fix. I think I might get some longer cable to make the lead easier to manage when opening and closing the A600 though...

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Had Ed check my A2000HD today. Turns out that I only gave a helping hand to the demise of my A2000. It isn't completely dead, but the board was beyond repair with what Ed had available. He gave me a new motherboard and a newer revision of it as well. To top it off we worked on my A4000D issue of crackling audio. Check this out. The resistor on the FLTLeft and Left channel audio that is supposed to be grounded? It's somehow attached to a -12V signal line. Strange huh?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
sounds (forgive the pun) that some one had worked on your A4000 before.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Sounds right. By the way, a big thank you to SDG as her picture helped me get the wire re-soldered and my power LED now works normally. It is too bad about my A2000 Board though. Oh well, with a few parts it will live again. The sad thing is that both of the MiniMeg chips that we were testing were dead units neither would work. So I won't have those to put up here for anyone. Oh well.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'm glad the pictures helped. :) Too bad about the old motherboard and the two chips. :( At least you are on your way to reviving the A2000!

Heather

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Sounds right. By the way, a big thank you to SDG as her picture helped me get the wire re-soldered and my power LED now works normally. It is too bad about my A2000 Board though. Oh well, with a few parts it will live again. The sad thing is that both of the MiniMeg chips that we were testing were dead units neither would work. So I won't have those to put up here for anyone. Oh well.

Still, don't chuck 'em out, they might still be fixable, or at least usable for spares. If it's the PCB that's dead, the Agnus is still worth having, and if it's the Agnus that's dead, it can be replaced.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
@AndyLandy - That is the same thing I said to Ed, They might show up on here in some fashion be we have confirmed that when they are installed, the Amiga doesn't perform a full boot. It gets the the last flash on the white screen and the system hangs. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the pin that we are connecting to, but I verified that we were connecting to the right pin and that the socket one was aligned correctly. Nothing. We even removed the socket and soldered directly to the same pin legs as the socket and couldn't get anything. And honestly, I know how much they would sell for if they worked, but broken? How do I quantify that price? We'll see how everything works. I have a lot of different cards that I need to take pictures of and post today, so hopefully there will be something in those that people are interested in, and we have found 4 expanded A2000's at Ed's to be ready for sale. Some with accelerators, a few without. And we still have a couple A4000D's as well as other things to look into before we have reduced his standing inventory even for comfort. There's another A3000D unexpanded that is missing parts that might come up. It has the case, motherboard, Zorro board and power supply. Missing items like the floppy, hard drive, and the zorro card mounting bracket in the back. I don't know when that one will come up but maybe tomorrow or next Monday. We'll see. I'm going to go take pictures of Zorro Cards and start a For Sale thread for them. Probably be a few hours. Again, Thank You! to everyone who helped me out with the A2000HD death. I appreciate the assistance. And from Ed, he says thank you to everyone whom has purchased items from him. Slowly but surely we are creating more space in his repair shop....to fill up with more Amiga computers in the future! :LOL:

Top Bottom