Radeon X600 card - multiple images at hardware level?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi

I've dug an old Radeon X600 AGP card out of my graveyard and when I came to test it, I got some strange displays. The best way I can describe it is that there are "artifacts" and a sort of "double image" being displayed, even at cold boot. I've seen this in Windows when the drivers aren't correct, but never at DOS or hardware level before. :blink:

Even wierder, the first BIOS boot screen is displayed perfectly; it's only when it starts to check memory and hard drives that the images get corrupted.

can anyone tell me what's gone wrong with it and can it be repaired?

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Try using an older driver. I find ATi's Catalyst 6.12 genrally seems to be the best for older X series Radeons. :)

Mind you, if you can't boot BIOS with it then it could be more serious. I'd suggest cleaning the card though I can't really make any recommendations since I don't know what is safe and what isn't with recent (ish) GFX cards.

[EDIT] Have you got the latest BIOS revision on your motherboard? That could have an effect on the compatability with certain Graphics Cards.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I think it is an internal gpu/dac error of some sorts , hence the image errors in dos/bios...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I have a 9800XT here that does the same. I'm of similar mind as keropi points out. You could try another PSU just to be sure. ;)

Kin

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi

I've dug an old Radeon X600 AGP card out of my graveyard and when I came to test it, I got some strange displays. The best way I can describe it is that there are "artifacts" and a sort of "double image" being displayed, even at cold boot. I've seen this in Windows when the drivers aren't correct, but never at DOS or hardware level before. :blink:

Even wierder, the first BIOS boot screen is displayed perfectly; it's only when it starts to check memory and hard drives that the images get corrupted.

can anyone tell me what's gone wrong with it and can it be repaired?

go read my diary m8y! trust me on this one (y)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Is it really worth it for a 128Mb card?

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
hah! just bake it! nothing to lose really, the card is already half dead LOL

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Naaa. .....It's a Radeon & deserves Gas mark 5 for 30 mins! :twisted:

Kin

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
if I remember correctly, our dear Merlin has a nice heatgun..! Why not just use that?

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
You are right, Leo; shall I give in and torture the card a bit with the old Black & Decker....??

:LOL:

Top Bottom