Ram prices going up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Anyone know why ram prices are suddenly shooting up at the moment?

I noticed that some Corsair DDR2 XMS2 ram I bought earlier in the year is now much more expensive. I purchased a couple of 2x2GB ram kits for £37 back in March, but the same ram kit is now £69.99. That is quite an increase.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Do you mean one of these?

PER.554017.jpg

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
This one maybe?

PER.554096.jpg

Yep, that's the one.

But what I was trying to say was that all ram seems to have shot up in price. And I was wondering if anyone knew why?

Is the currently a shortage? Or are makers concentrating now on faster DDR3 and DDR5 ram types, which is pushing the price of DDR2 up?

One other strange thing I noticed is that some of the 3x2GB DDR3 triple channel kits with fast ram (1600MHz) are cheaper than slower (1333MHz) ones. Seems a bit odd. Both of those kits are still over £120 though. I know my system is only using DDR2, but it is fast enough for what I need and I purchased 8GB (4x2GB) for under £80 back in March. The same ram would now cost about the same as the current DDR3 triple channel kits.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yep, that's the one.

But what I was trying to say, is that all ram seems to have shot up in price. And I was wondering if anyone knew why?

One other strange thing I noticed is that some of the 3x2GB DDR3 triple channel kits with fast ram (1600MHz) are cheaper than slower (1333MHz) ones. Seems a bit odd. Both of those kits are still over £120 though. I know my system is only using DDR2, but it is fast enough for what I need and I purchased 8GB (4x2GB) for under £80 back in March. The same ram would now cost be about the same as the current DDR3 triple channel kits.

The price here, as far I can see from one of our best e-shops in Greece, is 60 euros (about 54GBP) for this kit.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Yeah, I just had a look in another store and it is about £59 there. So can be found a bit cheaper. However this is still a big increase over the £37 I paid for the same ram back in March.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Maybe, but I never seen that before. It's only for Corsair's memory modules, or in general?

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
RAM Prices

RAM Prices

Ram prices in general are going up. What's happening from what I hear and am to understand is that they aren't ramping up more manufacturing and so as demand grows the supply doesn't. It's an artificial shortage. But as stated by a lot of people in the RAM industry every time they do this the market for ram crashes and it causes serious problems for all RAM Makers, so I don't know why they do this. Every three years or so. It's very cyclical.

Nathan

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Yea artifical shortage, also memory always goes up this time of year with Christmas shoppers. As well as that its slightly older tech so DDR3 will become cheaper as DDR2 goes up in price.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
It's only DDR2 prices that have doubled in recent weeks. DDR3 has stayed where it has been for some time now. Talking to people in the trade here in the UK, apparently it's all to do with the price of the US Dollar. :shrug:

Imo, I think it's because a lot of folk have stayed away from DDR3 crazy pricing along with i7 (socket 1366). Since i5 (socket 1156) was released, i7 & DDR3 ram has tumbled slightly & consequently, DDR2 has been jacked up again. The US Dollar has not doubled in recent weeks, so personally, I can't swallow that bs theory.

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom